Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #29
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_ots View Post
This may sound very strange but, peanut butter works great.
That's actually and old wives tale. Peanut butter does nothing to remove wax build up. It is the peanut oil in peanut butter that assist in removing the build up. There are however, much better products that do the same thing and do not attract ants if you don't get all the peanut oil off your car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #30
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Let's all wax our trim and hire the Adams girl in the vid to come put on a clinic!
Now that's thinking outside the...better stop now.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #31
w[h]o

Drives: 2010 Camaro
you can use peanut butter...

w[h]o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by w[h]o View Post
you can use peanut butter...
Again, it's not peanut butter that does what you think, it's the peanut oil in peanut butter. But hey, you can take the blue pill, wake up in the morning and believe whatever you want to believe...

Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #33
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Again, it's not peanut butter that does what you think, it's the peanut oil in peanut butter. But hey, you can take the blue pill, wake up in the morning and believe whatever you want to believe...
I would not use peanut butter, but it does work. This is like saying, "It's not APC that cleans it, but the chemicals in APC." An ingredient in it does what you want it to do so I don't see the harm in saying peanut butter works.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #34
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I would not use peanut butter, but it does work. This is like saying, "It's not APC that cleans it, but the chemicals in APC." An ingredient in it does what you want it to do so I don't see the harm in saying peanut butter works.
Why would you smear peanut butter into the cracks and crevices that contain the wax build up that you want to remove? Now you have peanut butter in the cracks! You replace one evil with another, and the alternative draws ants. Peanut oil would be the lesser of the two evils and you can't see it in the cracks. Plus, you can get a big ol' jug of it that would last a lifetime.

Using peanut butter is like shooting a fly off your windshield with a 12 gauge. Yea, the fly is dead but now you need a new windshield.

It's not rocket science, it just common sense.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #35
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Why would you smear peanut butter into the cracks and crevices that contain the wax build up that you want to remove? Now you have peanut butter in the cracks! You replace one evil with another, and the alternative draws ants. Peanut oil would be the lesser of the two evils and you can't see it in the cracks. Plus, you can get a big ol' jug of it that would last a lifetime.

Using peanut butter is like shooting a fly off your windshield with a 12 gauge. Yea, the fly is dead but now you need a new windshield.

It's not rocket science, it just common sense.
Hey I completely agree with you. I wouldn't do it. I only use car products on my car, with the exception of Dawn.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #36
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Hey I completely agree with you. I wouldn't do it. I only use car products on my car, with the exception of Dawn.
Well, we both share that one exception when necessary.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #37
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
I used a water based oil solvent. It did nothing to the paint but, with the help of a small brush, I was able to get the wax of the plastic trim on one of my other cars in about 10 minutes (for the whole car). I did tape off the trim and reapply the wax just around the trim because if it removed it from the trim the stuff may have thinned the wax on the paint (obviously I didn't scrub the paint). If you'd like the name to the stuff I used you can PM me. It can be used on just about anything you're trying to clean with different dilution levels.
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #38
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealdiwes View Post
I always put some protectant like armor all before I wax my car; that way the if wax gets on the plastic it doesn't stick.
Good idea. I will add that to my wax routine.

Adams All Purpose Cleaner removed the wax from the black plastic parts on my car
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote