Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
luv my 2012 conv

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary vert
Metra kit issues

Hi all,
I recently installed a Metra adapter kit, with a Kenwood 890 head unit, in my 2012 vert and have had several problems. The head unit will switch from am to fm, each time I turn the car off, and seems to disable the steering wheel controls and It displays a station other than what is really playing. I have to manually, change modes on the head unit, then go back to the radio option and to make everything work. I have replaced the head unit, and done the update on the module for the metra unit twice, but the problem is still there. I am thinking of changing to a Scosche adapter kit, but I am not sure if that is the way to go or not. Suggestions ?? Thanks !
luv my 2012 conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
StealthZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Your steering wheel controls are wired incorrectly.
StealthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
luv my 2012 conv

I thought the same thing, so I have had the wiring check 4 times by different installers, and all say the install was done correctly.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
StealthZL1

I prefer the Scosche kit. It looks better and installs way easier than the Metra.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
luv my 2012 conv

Yeah, I am switching to the Scosche kit too. You are right, it does look better.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
I disagree the Schoshe kit looks worse to me.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
luv my 2012 conv

the bigger issue for me is the functionality of the kit. The Metra kit has been a huge pain from the start. The first kit was defective and had to be returned, and the second one has a ton of issues. I think they didn't give this enough thought before putting it on the market. Hopefully the Schoshe will work out better
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Schoshe kit has had several issues as well, good luck with that kit.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
StealthZL1

I'm very suspicious of the reported issues related to the Scosche and Metra kits. I have to attack the craftsmanship and lack of professional electronic experience of the "do-it-yourselfers" who hack away at their Camaros at home. I have installed both kits (several times) and never had an issue. My Scosche kit works perfectly fine and never gave me one single issue. I programmed it correctly the first time and once it was bolted into place, I never had to look back. Follow the programming sequence exactly how Scosche recommends.

One example of an issue that's been reported (not the fault of Scosche) is how the plastic mold on the bottom of the Scosche kit splits during installation. I've seen posts of that nature many times and I had to chuckle to myself. Cutting corners during your installation will bite you in the ass in the end. The Camaro head unit (OEM, Scosche, or Metra) should be installed and bolted down while the entire center console is removed. Take the extra 5 minutes to remove the center console. Don't try to wedge your expensive aftermarket dash kit in between the dash and the center console.

(Just my two cents)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
luv my 2012 conv

Well, For the average DIYer, I am sure you may be right, but in my particular case, you are off base. I wasn't about to tackle this retrofit myself I had a professional installation done by a very reputatable company, and had a rep from Metra actually look at the kit and install after all of the problems came up. We updated the software several times, and looked at the kit wire by wire. He told me the issue has to be in the module that came with the kit. I'm not sure if there was a run of bad modules, or there is another issue. I just know the end result wasn't great.
Hopefully, the Schoshe will give a better outcome
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
StealthZL1

You'll be happy with your Scosche kit.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
luv my 2012 conv

Thanks ! Hopefully this will resolve the issues with my system.
I do like the layout of the schoshe
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
I gotta agree with you, when I had my 2011 RS I had the Scosche kit and A JVC HU installed by a reputable installer. I never had one malfunction or issue with it. I loved the kit and the touch screen climate controls and vehicle set up were awesome. To me the Metra is cheap and incomplete. why is there a image of a shaped up woman on the display? Fail!!!! then you lose your ability to access the vehicle set up. They make a cheap looking adapter you can hook to the unit to change your vehicle set up which is also a major FAIL!! To top it all off the unit is not attractive! Go with the Scosche but do yourself a favor and have a professional install it that is familiar with the kit. I to think a lot of the issues with both kits come from DIY that dont know what they are doing even though they claim they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZL1 View Post
You'll be happy with your Scosche kit.
BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
luv my 2012 conv

Yea, that is why I didn't even consider making it a DIY project. It doesn't make sense to try to cobble in something on a car I intend to keep for a very long time, and have a lot invested in. Can you change your display setop with the Schoshe ? That would be another plus !