Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ZL1 AUTO LAUNCH HELP

I hope someone here can give me some ideas on how to make my car launch better. I took my car to ADM and now it has 711 RWHP.I am running M/T 305/35/R20 ET Street Radials. My problem is when I let the tires down to 18lbs I cannot set the ptm5 because of the low tire warning.I can hold down the t/c button 7-8 seconds and turn off all of the nannies. Does it automatically go to ptm5 when I do turn off all of the nannies or not? My next question is I have tryed launching at 18 lbs,20lbs and hold the brake to 1200 rpms and it just blows them off. I have read on the ZL1 board of this site and they all say this is what they are doing and do not seem to be having the same trouble I am. Some have as much or more HP than me so what am I doing wrong? I have thought about just leaving at 1000rpm and then flooring it but the track was closing when I wanted to try that. Any help would be great!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
white ZL1

Drives: none
Turn everything off, you don't need the PTM help on a drag radial.

Getting a good burnout?
Alignment good?
What are your 60 foot times?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
60ft times are 2:10 or worse. What does alignment have to do with this? I do not know how that would effect launching the car. Please tell me.Track was not prepped though but have went out to a place where everyone goes and test their cars and tryed to practice launching and changing tire pressue and still just spun to much. I will just buy some 17 inch wheels and slicks that should do it.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
60ft times are 2:10 or worse. What does alignment have to do with this? I do not know how that would effect launching the car. Please tell me.
If the alignment is off, the tires aren't making optimal contact with the ground. If the rear cradle has been out of the car, have it checked.
Search for threads from JusticePete....he's posted quite a bit about it.

Quote:
Track was not prepped though but have went out to a place where everyone goes and test their cars and tryed to practice launching and changing tire pressue and still just spun to much.
You aren't going to hook that much power on an unprepped surface on a drag radial, and probably not even on a small slick.
20psi on a prepped surface, bring the rpm up to 1000.....and hang on. There's not reason you shouldn't be cutting 1.6's. I do. Consistently. And I make 100rwhp less than you do.

Quote:
I will just buy some 17 inch wheels and slicks that should do it.
Might not fix a thing. Throwing money at a problem isn't the best way to solve it.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I agree about checking alignment. Try to get all the negative camber out of the rear. I have around 650-675 at the tires and my car would break loose just after I launched. As the boost came on the rear wheels would develop negative camber putting the tires on their edges. Changed out the trailing arms and toe rods to Pfadt pieces which are much stronger and don't flex. I consistently 60' around 1.50 now.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote