Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
thejudgemeister
Thejudgemeister

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Summit White
Legal COPO?

I knew about the VIN numbers. I had not thought about the safety features. I had been wondering why they couldn't give it a VIN and if it would be possible for someone to modify one to make it street legal just to have a legal one with that kind of power under the hood. I am thinking that it would be easier to take a legal one and add upgrades... much like the people of Camaro5. I would love to know, just out of curiosity what the costs would be to take a COPO and make it street legal.
thejudgemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
It would be cheaper to buy/build the COPO engine/drivetrain and add it to an SS
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #31
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudgemeister View Post
I knew about the VIN numbers. I had not thought about the safety features. I had been wondering why they couldn't give it a VIN and if it would be possible for someone to modify one to make it street legal just to have a legal one with that kind of power under the hood. I am thinking that it would be easier to take a legal one and add upgrades... much like the people of Camaro5. I would love to know, just out of curiosity what the costs would be to take a COPO and make it street legal.
You are never going to get any state to issue a license plate for a car without a VIN.
It is a purpose built race car, and was never intended to be street legal.

GM didn't submit the car for any kind of federally required emissions or safety testing.

It would be like trying to license a NHRA, NASCAR, or other purpose built race cars for the street. Ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
It would be cheaper to buy/build the COPO engine/drivetrain and add it to an SS

The COPO is a $90k race car.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
newb

Not 100% true. They must have provisions for "home built" vehicles. They have to be inspected and pass a safety check. How do you think home built Harleys get registered?
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
The new COPO Camaro's are not intended to be used on the street. Period. You don't buy a 2012 COPO Camaro to go cruise around town.

The new COPO is built specifically to race - to go down a 1,320-foot straight line as fast as you can make it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why anyone would even want to drive one on the street is beyond my comprehension...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #34
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
The new COPO Camaro's are not intended to be used on the street. Period. You don't buy a 2012 COPO Camaro to go cruise around town.

The new COPO is built specifically to race - to go down a 1,320-foot straight line as fast as you can make it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why anyone would even want to drive one on the street is beyond my comprehension...
I know this and fully agree. But, it can be done. As I said, it would be cheaper and make far more sense to build a SS. I doubt anyone here has the means and desire (many have the means, many have the desire, few have means and desire) to make it happen. A costly proposition at best.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013