Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
3atman

Drives: 2010 ls3 camaro
Quick Help on cam swap/valve stem seals

In the process of a cam swap and just got to the valve spring replacement and everything came off fine however going back on the seat goes on and the seal after being pressed on the valve does not contact the seat is this normal or ok? Watching the robertway diy I could not really tell from the video on how to replace the valve springs so if someone could chime in thatd be great thanks

Also I tryed to use the search with no luck

Last edited by 3atman; 01-01-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: update
3atman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3atman View Post
In the process of a cam swap and just got to the valve spring replacement and everything came off fine however going back on the seat goes on and the seal after being pressed on the valve does not contact the seat is this normal or ok? Watching the robertway diy I could not really tell from the video on how to replace the valve springs so if someone could chime in thatd be great thanks

Also I tryed to use the search with no luck
There should be a few mm gap between the bottom of the valve seal and the top of the valve spring locator.

If the valve seal actually bottomed out all the way then the seal coudl easily pop off when the locator, valve spring and valve spin. You DONT want the seal to spin with the rest of the valvetrain, it stays stationary.

I've always put a deep socket on top of the valve seal thats barely smaller then the seal itself and give a light tap on it with a rubber mallet to ensure the valve seal is seated all the way...it's worked great for me for the last ~15 years or so that i've been working on SBC's and now LSx stuff.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
3atman

Perfect thanks for your help I just wanted to do a sanity check since the oem has the seal and seat together
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
What kind of valve stem seals did you use? I need to buy some for my cam swap. I want to make sure I don't get the wrong ones like stock replacement or anything like that.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
I screwed mine up hammering the first one on. Press them on using pry action. I used a small pry bar screwdriver wrench...whatever would fit. I pryed from the Spring compressor bolt that I was using.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
3atman

I used the Brian Tooley Racing .660 lift Extreme valve spring kit and the valve stem seals came with it. I ended up trashing the first one I installed so I had to buy extras they are very easy to damage. But deff. check out Brian Tooley Racing he has a lot of good parts and inexpensive. If you decide to go with the Brian Tooley Kit pm me.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
We sell the BTR Kit and have used these on many Cam installs. They work great. The best way to make sure you are not over installing the seals is to reference the factory seals before removing them. You can measure from the top of the valve tip to the top of the factory seal. You will see that once the BTR seals are installed that they fall into the same place. You can use a socket that fits over the seal (the edge of the seal) and a small hammer to install them, you will need to tap them on, NOT HAMMER THEM. Dont forget to make sure you install the Intake and Exhaust seals on the correct valve.
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
This is what ya need http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...FUho7AodI18ACQ
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
I still say press them on. The indexing is a great idea tho.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote