Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #239
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Wouldn't it be fun if they made a light weight track ready 5.0L Gen V powered Z28 model, just think of the comparo between the Z28 Camaro and Boss 302 Mustang.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #240
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
If not Z/28, then what.
RS. In use
SS. In use
IROC. GM doesn't own it.
Panther. The Camaro's pre-production name. Not likely.
Z/29. God I hope not.

I am going to guess: Camaro BFH - Bat From Hell
Z/SX u see its a Z/Supercharged Xrossover til new platform
Get a little nostalgia mixed in with the new X block.

I sure would like a heads up so I dont waste effort going for my vanity plate that will no longer fit the bill! Now what the hell do we do to prevent the run and the DMV office... I want to go to the first show it is displayed in.. so anyone with notice , please post!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #241
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
WOW. Super.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #242
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Freakin' AWESOME NEWS!

FINALLY....we can TALK about it...sheesh....

So...what shall we call it then...

HP
Z28
ZL1
SS?

.......There's a lot of people expecting a "Z28." Hey, I'd want a Z28 too. But, quite frankly, it's not the name that I would be buying. It's the BIGGEST, BADDEST, MOST VICIOUS ANIMAL that has EVER been a Camaro. That alone would make me happy. You'll have your die hards who want Z28. You'll have a lot more enthusiasts scratching your heads, though, if you named it something completely different and out of the blue. I personally think Z28 is the way to go. After all, you can "re-name" it once the Alpha platform comes about. For now, I'd think real hard about this. Z28 works well. ZL1, well that might work for a Camaro with an LS9 and some $100,000 super crazy package. HP Camaro? Nah...

Stick with the Z28. Imagine that badge....back...bad.... EVERY CAR MAG KNOWS IT. EVERY RED BLOODED CAR ENTHUSIAST KNOWS IT.

What are you going to say? Introducing the all new HP Camaro? Crowd claps....wow.

"Now introducing one of the most awaited, most anticipated returns of GM history.....THE Z28!" Ummmm....yeah.... I think this is a no brainer!

Now...wonder what the reasons are for NOT wanting to name it a Z28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

oh man.........my sides hurt from that round of laughter!

Rumors stop?

When Donkeys fly!!!!!

(.......and Mustangs become real cars........)

(.....sorry - couldn't help myself with that last part......I'll go stand in the corner now.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder09 View Post
get ready to pay $55,000+ for this....
Probably so...and I wonder what production numbers would be. Doubt they are going to make as many as people would want...which might raise that price.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #243
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanceNconquer View Post

Peace in the Middle East. Shout out to Prima Donna, Jeff Bucknum and the Smokin' Bowties Camaro Club of NJ.

Right back atcha, Francisco...thanks for the mention!!!

I'm with you 100% with enjoying our Camaros...mine is a yr round daily driver...I don't have a spare car to drive in the winter

That being said, we purchased snow tires and 18" wheels last winter, so this is my 2nd winter with the Camaro

If I couldn't drive my Camaro all yr long, I wouldn't be able to do any 'smiley dances' :(

Fortunately, that's not the case, so I'm happy every time I get behind the wheel and turn the key to the happiest car I have ever owned and driven IN MY LIFE!!!

I wouldn't sell mine for all the money in the world, because my HWAY STR means way more to me than money...it is irreplaceable to 'this fan' for too many reasons to list on here right now...just trust me on this

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #244
Tob

Drives: Blue Pig
A few words from the "opposition" if I may. As a blue blooded Ford aficionado, even I can admit to some excitement for the GM camp. Whatever moniker adorns the upcoming Uber Camaro, I have no doubt that it will pack more technology and performance than Chevrolet has ever offered to the public in their version of the pony car. It should be one hell of a ride.

A few things have piqued my interest, most notably, the wheel/tire sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill
with the 285/330 combo, the 12 inch wheel plus the 330 rubber would weigh close to 90lbs per wheel, thats almost 30lbs more over stock rears alone.
The GT500 community has been begging Ford to upgrade to similar wheel/tire sizes for a few years now. Ford has increased power and decreased weight, but has done nothing (beyond a move to a 265 up front on an SVT PP GT500) with regards to better traction. A 285 out back has failed miserably at putting power to the ground (and yet there are cries for more power!). As mentioned, the weight of the OP's tire sizes would definitely cross a threshold. Unsprung weight is a NVH killer, along with increased rolling resistance (decreased MPG) via more rubber to the road. As an enthusiast, I'd love to see GM pull this one off, especially in light of the impending "green takeover" looming in the near future. If not, I'm sure that just as S197 owners have to do (rear bumpstop bracket trimming, shock boot elimination, carefully chosen offset specs) Z28 owners will be stuffing the widest possible rubber combinations possible under the fenders.

The battle (as I see it, anyway) won't be which camp has more power. It'll be who can put it to the ground and run with it. May the better car win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
Ah, the only thing this car misses, is a true forged piston and rods. That's where I envy GT500. BTW, GT500 for MY2013 (production in 2012) will get the TVS2300 @ 600HP.
A couple of things. It would be great if the GT500 came with a traditional or conventional forged rod, but it doesn't. It uses a powder forged rod. I'd love to have had a set of Manley H-beams (ala the style the GT or the '03-'04 Cobra used) but Ford decided not to use them and instead went with a much cheaper, yet fairly adequate rod. The rods are one of the limiting factors in the 5.4 mill at somewhere north of 750-800 horsepower.

Stating that the '13 GT500 will get the TVS is interesting. I keep my ear very close to the ground, and I've yet to see anything from Ford that would hint anything happening in that direction. I've been to the end of the internet (twice, this year alone ) and I find your proclamation a bit weak in the validation department. Don't take it the wrong way, but if you have something to share from Ford's own S197 product development team meetings - I'm all ears.

In conclusion, I'm happy to see you guys getting something more. Aside from the dash, I think the GM design studio has done a heck of a job. Improving the breed even more only encourages the same from the competition. The result of which, we all benefit from. Hopefully, the ridiculous power numbers that have become the norm are more than short lived.

For some perspective into my insight (and vice-versa) I offer a little of my 725hp pig...

Tob

Last edited by Tob; 01-14-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #245
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Oh f**k. I was just joking with her about this yesterday. MRC is just holy balls..

Now if only I can figure out how to finance a $50,000 car loan.
I think It'll be way more than that. I say somewhere from $60-65k.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #246
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
C&D at it again....
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...28-future_cars
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #247
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

oh man.........my sides hurt from that round of laughter!

Rumors stop?

When Donkeys fly!!!!!

(.......and Mustangs become real cars........)

(.....sorry - couldn't help myself with that last part......I'll go stand in the corner now.......

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/835682-...sail-of-terror

(Now the only thing left to do is make that Mustang real LOL)

PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #248
nl12

Drives: Unicycle
For every dollar over $50,000 my desire to buy goes down exponentially.
nl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #249
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
You guys do realize you can option out an SS to be $50,500 RIGHT NOW. Anyone who thinks this new Camaro will be south of $55K, let me have some of what you are smoking.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #250
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
What about the ZL-1? Not only does the name have heritage, but is also above the SS brand in terms of the hierarchy.

I never knew what to think about the Z/28 name on the 5th gen. On one hand, it's important (especially among muscle car enthusiasts) to remain true to your roots. On the other hand, the SS has usually been above the Z/28 in terms of performance.

As a side, I'm not a big fan of the engine vents. I think they should have had a functional scoop that looks like the SLP's, or an engine window. Or top it all and do a factory shaker hood.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #251
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Well I had my wife talked into trading up to the new Z/28-HP for a couple of weeks, till I showed her what the car payment might be...

I hope it doesn't show up at 50k..
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #252
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
As a side, I'm not a big fan of the engine vents. I think they should have had a functional scoop that looks like the SLP's, or an engine window. Or top it all and do a factory shaker hood.
With you on that one, I prefer the SLP/Transformers 2 style hood, to the renderings I've seen on here from the prototype pics...

Maybe I'll just have to order an extra hood
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 chevy camaro z28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, cobra killer, hp edition model, new camaro z28, new z28, sexy beast coming soon, z28 forum, z28 forums