Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
autobotaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro LS
Removing Centering Springs from Stock V6 Manual Shifter

Just something I was curious about. I was thinking about getting a Barton Short Shifter and notcied that on the V6 instructions you have to remove the centering springs to remove the stock shifter from the vehicle. It is stated as optional to reinstall the springs.

I was wondering if I just removed the springs from the stock shifter what that would do to the overall feel of the stock shifter.

Thanks
autobotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
autobotaz

Guess I may be the experiment then!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
when not in gear it would flop to the left or right, you would also have to make extra sure when going from gate to gate you have it in the right spot otherwise you will be going from 2 to 1 instead of 2 to 3. The springs help to make sure you have the shifter exactly where you want it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
autobotaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
when not in gear it would flop to the left or right, you would also have to make extra sure when going from gate to gate you have it in the right spot otherwise you will be going from 2 to 1 instead of 2 to 3. The springs help to make sure you have the shifter exactly where you want it.
Thats what I figured, so how is it optional to put these back on with the hurst or barton short shifters???
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotaz View Post
Thats what I figured, so how is it optional to put these back on with the hurst or barton short shifters???
Because you have to take it apart anyway.... some people like them removed, they don't negatively affect the operation of the shifter per say, but IMHO its a dumb idea.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
autobotaz

Quote:
Because you have to take it apart anyway.... some people like them removed, they don't negatively affect the operation of the shifter per say, but IMHO its a dumb idea.
Yeah thinking I will just leave them be for now.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Quote:
Have you ever even installed a shifter on your car?
The springs do not make that much of a difference. The shifter will not flop around. Ive installed 2 shifters on V6 cars and left the springs out on both of them. The springs just give the shifter a little more pop to help with the 2-3 shift, but with a short throw the 2-3 shift becomes so much easier because of reduced travel, that its not a big deal to leave them out. Its just a preference as to what YOU like the feel of.
The V8 has the same exact setup as the V6, but has no springs. This is because the Tremec has a little more pop then the Aisin trans.
Hope this helps.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I've not tried the factory shifter in the V-6, but I did go from the relatively weak factory springs to the overly tight (initially) springs in the MGW shifter. At first I was a little worried about them but as told me by the manufacturer, they did loosen up. What an amazing difference.

No, I'm not trying to sell you on a different shifter... I'm just trying to make a point that the springs do help the feel of the drive. Anything that helps to improve the gate to gate transition has got to be a bonus.

Personally, if it was me, I would put the springs back in with the new shifter. If stiffer springs made this big a difference, (improved throw and greater confidence in hitting the proper gate) I can't imagine how bad it would have been to drive without any springs at all...

This is strictly my opinion...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I've not tried the factory shifter in the V-6, but I did go from the relatively weak factory springs to the overly tight (initially) springs in the MGW shifter. At first I was a little worried about them but as told me by the manufacturer, they did loosen up. What an amazing difference.

No, I'm not trying to sell you on a different shifter... I'm just trying to make a point that the springs do help the feel of the drive. Anything that helps to improve the gate to gate transition has got to be a bonus.

Personally, if it was me, I would put the springs back in with the new shifter. If stiffer springs made this big a difference, (improved throw and greater confidence in hitting the proper gate) I can't imagine how bad it would have been to drive without any springs at all...

This is strictly my opinion...
Just an FYI your car had no springs in it from the Factory. The V8's dont use springs.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
Just an FYI your car had no springs in it from the Factory. The V8's dont use springs.
That being the case, then I certainly recommend putting the springs back in... My factory shifter, (no offense to Chevy or the Camaro fan boys) sucked...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
cshaw2049

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT / RS M6 ABM
I have the Barton shifter and did not put the spring back in. No problems here. Love the shifter!
cshaw2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
I did it too. No problems.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
Have you ever even installed a shifter on your car?
The springs do not make that much of a difference. The shifter will not flop around. Ive installed 2 shifters on V6 cars and left the springs out on both of them. The springs just give the shifter a little more pop to help with the 2-3 shift, but with a short throw the 2-3 shift becomes so much easier because of reduced travel, that its not a big deal to leave them out. Its just a preference as to what YOU like the feel of.
The V8 has the same exact setup as the V6, but has no springs. This is because the Tremec has a little more pop then the Aisin trans.
Hope this helps.
I haven't installed one in THIS car but I have installed many in other cars. What I said is true, it does keep things in place, and I personally prefer the feel being that I have and drive many older vehicles that don't do this. In some cars the shifter does flop a bit when in neutral or just hangs in whatever place you left it. My VW race car is a perfect example. Is it a problem for me? No. Would I prefer something that would center it? Yes.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I installed the shifter without the springs i really hated it. It really is a personal thing how you like the feel of it. You will know right away if u like them with or without.