Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
CAM/JRE IS A BIG HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
I will be ordering my future parts from JRE. They are a great company and helped me this morning with a tech issue.

I HAVE TO AGREE AS TED AND AL HAVE BEEN GREAT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS I HAVE HAD EVEN BEFORE I BOUGHT FROM THEM.NOT MANY COMPANIES GIVE AWAY INFO WITH OUT YOU BEING A CUSTOMER. PLUS ALL THE TECH WORK TED HAS PUT INTO THE ZL1 IS AMAZING. I WILL CONTINUE TO BE A CUSTOMER FOR A LONG TIME. THE 75 RWHP KIT WORKS AS ADVERTISED!!! I SPENT 35 YEARS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET AS A SALES AND TECH REP. LAST GIG WAS WITH MOOG AUTOMOTIVE OUT OF ST. LOUIS...BEST CHASSIS PRODUCTS ON THE PLANET...JUST ASK ANY NASCAR DRIVER/CREW CHIEF.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #44
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER View Post
I HAVE TO AGREE AS TED AND AL HAVE BEEN GREAT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS I HAVE HAD EVEN BEFORE I BOUGHT FROM THEM.NOT MANY COMPANIES GIVE AWAY INFO WITH OUT YOU BEING A CUSTOMER. PLUS ALL THE TECH WORK TED HAS PUT INTO THE ZL1 IS AMAZING. I WILL CONTINUE TO BE A CUSTOMER FOR A LONG TIME. THE 75 RWHP KIT WORKS AS ADVERTISED!!! I SPENT 35 YEARS IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AFTERMARKET AS A SALES AND TECH REP. LAST GIG WAS WITH MOOG AUTOMOTIVE OUT OF ST. LOUIS...BEST CHASSIS PRODUCTS ON THE PLANET...JUST ASK ANY NASCAR DRIVER/CREW CHIEF.
Thanks Guys We appreciate the support, We are building a business model for all to follow.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #45
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am sure they have they're cams ground by CompCams like everyone else.

I don't know of anyone who has a Cam Grinder in they're shop.

Again you have to define stage cams from whomever or it is meaningless.

Cheers.
Incorrect. We actually have our cams done by a prototype camshaft manufacturer. Not a crane, comp, lunati, or any company anyone would have ever heard of. Why? because they can make cams to our spec. Not saying any other cam company does a bad job, but when we want full design control of our lobes, they can do it, without the fear of anyone copying. They do this as a courtesy to us, as they are not a performance company. They are a place that the OEM's would call when they need a cam for an engine that does not exist yet, so their capabilities are literally endless for what they can make.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
Incorrect. We actually have our cams done by a prototype camshaft manufacturer. Not a crane, comp, lunati, or any company anyone would have ever heard of. Why? because they can make cams to our spec. Not saying any other cam company does a bad job, but when we want full design control of our lobes, they can do it, without the fear of anyone copying. They do this as a courtesy to us, as they are not a performance company. They are a place that the OEM's would call when they need a cam for an engine that does not exist yet, so their capabilities are literally endless for what they can make.
that is good to know. I have have recieved out of spec cams from comp before. it was not a custom grind just off the the shelf.

so do they just cut of of a billet instead of using a blank?

this is one thing I have always wondered not that so many shop use there own specs you don't really know the path of how the cam was manufacterd or quality level. The volume is so much lower quality could be better or worse depending on who does the work.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
that is good to know. I have have recieved out of spec cams from comp before. it was not a custom grind just off the the shelf.

so do they just cut of of a billet instead of using a blank?

this is one thing I have always wondered not that so many shop use there own specs you don't really know the path of how the cam was manufacterd or quality level. The volume is so much lower quality could be better or worse depending on who does the work.

Is that a fact or an assumption on your part?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #48
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Is that a fact or an assumption on your part?
what do you mean. the fact that tunning shops use other suppliers to manufacture there cams?

as far as I know almost all of them use a 3rd party supplier or suppliers.

Jannetty stated he uses comp. livernois stated they use a cam prototyping vendor.

or that qualtiy can vary bettween suppliers? that is just nature of business. I see that all day every day at work. Due to huge lead times in avaition we can have parts made at multiple shops. we have prefered suppliers for a reason.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #49
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
People take a chill pill, I'm the knoob when it comes to mechanics and wrote the wrong statement and JRE was just trying to clarify!

I wrote made in house vs Livernois Motorsports corrected it , I just knew the CAMs they used were unique to them!

Both are top notch companies !
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #50
jydenwr

Drives: 2012 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 (BLACK)
Sorry guys. I haven't been able to get on here lately. I've been busy with work but I do appreciate all your responses and opinions. Thank you all.
jydenwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #51
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@HennesseyPerformance View Post
Our cam sounds pretty radical, but anyone who's built and truly spent some time in a ZL1 knows the fun thing about them is the sound deadening allows you to get away with it and talk on bluetooth driving down the road no problem.
After listening to the Hennessey cam idle again, I sorta a like it.
The rough idle clears up once the car gets underway.
If I go through the time and expense to install another cam
Then, I want to hear a rougher/lumpier cam idle than stock or LS9.
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #52
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Good thread, so I thought I bring it back to life. Seems like the Brian Tooley Stage III is the hot cam right now. What other custom grind cams are you guys running now a days?
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #53
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
I have a line of cams specifically for the LSA engine in the ZL-1 and CTSV.

They are designed for the rigors of Road racing so they will last as long as the engine.

They are very easy on parts and make incredible power at low boost.

650 RWHP at only 11.5 psi boost on 93 octane and 680 RWHP on 96 octane with our tuning.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote