Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Anybody have problems with OnStar yesterday?

My wife and I are currently searching for a house to buy [yes, finally a garage for my Camaro!], and we're mainly looking on the slight outskirts of town, predominantly in places that we've never or rarely driven through. So naturally, OnStar's navigation would have been perfect for this since we had all the addresses for all the homes we were wanting to drive by. But yesterday, I called OnStar like 6 or 7 times [or more, I lost count eventually] over the course of a few hours, and it never connected. So we had to resort to the bobo Maps app on our iPhone's to guide us around town.

Currently, I'm still in my free trial period for OnStar. It ends in January, and I was planning on subscribing, but is this issue something that you guys have experienced as well? Maybe it was something going on just yesterday for some reason? If it's common and frequent, I don't know if I want to waste the cash on it every month. If I ever get lost out of town and I press that button for directions with no response, I'm going to be livid. We Italians have hot tempers, you know...

Thanks!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Just say NO to OnStar, they are a joke. Invest $129 on a Garmin GPS instead.

Lastly, try Sirius/XM for awhile, that will identify a lot of non-service areas, by default.

Good luck.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Could it have been?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_e...ember_13,_2012
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
My wife and I are currently searching for a house to buy [yes, finally a garage for my Camaro!], and we're mainly looking on the slight outskirts of town, predominantly in places that we've never or rarely driven through. So naturally, OnStar's navigation would have been perfect for this since we had all the addresses for all the homes we were wanting to drive by. But yesterday, I called OnStar like 6 or 7 times [or more, I lost count eventually] over the course of a few hours, and it never connected. So we had to resort to the bobo Maps app on our iPhone's to guide us around town.

Currently, I'm still in my free trial period for OnStar. It ends in January, and I was planning on subscribing, but is this issue something that you guys have experienced as well? Maybe it was something going on just yesterday for some reason? If it's common and frequent, I don't know if I want to waste the cash on it every month. If I ever get lost out of town and I press that button for directions with no response, I'm going to be livid. We Italians have hot tempers, you know...

Thanks!

Hello AdamEL,

I am sorry that you were unable to connect to OnStar yesterday for your house hunt. I'd like to help, and make sure your system is running properly. When you pressed your OnStar button was there any beeping or did a message play? Also, was your LED light on the mirror green or red? Can you send me a message with your account number or phone number we have on file? I can look into your account and see what I can do.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Only trouble I had was an OnStar courtesy message while my favorite song was playing

Sorry OnStar Advisor, but I yelled very bad things at OnStar that might have been recorded. Don't F with my tunes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
OnStar Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Only trouble I had was an OnStar courtesy message while my favorite song was playing

Sorry OnStar Advisor, but I yelled very bad things at OnStar that might have been recorded. Don't F with my tunes

ChrisBlair,

Sorry we interrupted you favorite song! If you receive a message like that again you can always press the Hands Free Calling button to stop the message. Then your tunes will come back on! If you have any other questions just let me know.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
On Monday I tried to make a hands free call and was told that I had no minutes. I pressed the blue button and the tech told me that I do in fact have minutes and connected me to someone else. I told them that I know for a fact that I have at least 400 minutes so that's what they put back on my account. I came home and checked my monthly update and I actually had 570 minutes left!!!!!!!!!!
Screwed out of 170 minutes but the part that pisses me off is that I somehow initially "lost" 570 minutes. How is that allowed to happen??
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
OnStar Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbe View Post
On Monday I tried to make a hands free call and was told that I had no minutes. I pressed the blue button and the tech told me that I do in fact have minutes and connected me to someone else. I told them that I know for a fact that I have at least 400 minutes so that's what they put back on my account. I came home and checked my monthly update and I actually had 570 minutes left!!!!!!!!!!
Screwed out of 170 minutes but the part that pisses me off is that I somehow initially "lost" 570 minutes. How is that allowed to happen??
moserbe,

Wow! I'm very sorry that happened. If minutes expire or are lost then the advisor should be able to find that information and restore your minutes. Can you send me a message with your account number? I'd be happy to restore the missing minutes and find out what happened for you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor View Post
-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Your presence here is just one of the reasons I love Camaro5. People who can help from GM are watching.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
OnStar Advisor

Thanks tomlink! I'm here if you need me!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
To the OP, Download the onstar app for your phone. Then just type the address into the nav section. The next time you start the car the directions download.

I just wish there was a way to preview the route before I actually drive it.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
Your presence here is just one of the reasons I love Camaro5. People who can help from GM are watching.
But what do they do really, other than call the dealer on your "behalf"? It's a nice show of interest but sadly that's all it winds up being.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
We did get hit by a solar flare (CME) yesterday that caused some geomagnetic instabillity which could very well be related to your communications difficulty.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
To the OP, Download the onstar app for your phone. Then just type the address into the nav section. The next time you start the car the directions download.

I just wish there was a way to preview the route before I actually drive it.
I have the app, and I usually use that instead of calling OnStar. It wasn't working either, which is why I called OnStar to begin with.
And I agree, a route preview and ability to change it on the app would be very useful. I bet that will be an update in the future.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote