Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #57
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #58
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I was taught to always park manual transmission cars with it in gear and the E-brake on. Never rely only on the E-brake to hold the car. I don't think that has changed.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #59
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
It might not be the 1960s any more, but we have achieved time travel with this thread!

Boiled down, you have to leave your manual trans car in neutral. It's a mechanical system that all the smartphones on earth can't get around. I will not be depending on my parking brake to keep my car from moving while parked. I'd use wheel chocks first. My car stays in gear while parked, period. I think its stupid to have an auto-start on a manual car and its asking for trouble.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #60
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by honor first View Post
okay yes we get it.

if i take the magazine out of my HK and pull the trigger but forget to clear the round in the chamber, it'll go off.

if i forget to put the gas cap back on my suburban and run it for two weeks without it on, the check engine light will come on.

if i leave my front door open when i leave my house for the day, i will probably get robbed.

all the points you are making are solely user errors, just like my examples above. basically youre saying if you **** up, you ****ed up. which is pretty obvious. and that was only page 1; didnt go to 2 or 3.

anyways OP, i am interested in doing this myself, i have never once in my life parked my 6MT in gear, so i wont need liability insurance for this matter like mr. james has suggested. how much did it run you altogether.

Respectfully, you are gambling. This reminds me of an otherwise knowledgeable firearms guy at work. We are both enthusiasts of the M1 rifle. One day we talked ammo and I mentioned the gas expansion rate of M2 ball versus modern commerical 30-06. He argued that he uses commercial stuff, the chamber pressures are the same. I informed him that the chamber pressures weren't the issue. It was pressure at the gas port. the oprod can be forced back too hard due to the rate of expansion of modern powder, he's taking a risk because the bolt recoils off the receiver heel. His response was "Well I've never had a problem with that in my life", and he dismissed it. Well sure. And he never will, until the day he does. He's convinced that his small amount of personal experience excuses him from any potential problems. He is willfully ignoring the risk he's taking because that's the way he was taught and so that way must be correct since he does it.

In you case you are knowingly refusing to engage a positive means of holding the vehicle in place and exchanging that for a secondary system which is inferior, when in good practice, both methods are supposed to be used. Would you leave your automatic trans vehicle in neutral as well, because the e-brake is good enough? Of course you wouldn't.

Also, check your local and state laws. You may be surprised; some places have it in plain writing that a manual trans car must be in gear while parked. That's on the books because experience has shown that the parking brake is not good enough.

I've walked out of a house to find a manual trans pickup truck into the back of a collector car I own. The pickup was not in gear, the parking brake wasn't very good, and it rolled downhill into my car. Yeah sure it "popped out of gear". Right.

Don't be that guy
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #61
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I really would like to know what the benefit of remote start is on any car. The only people that I know that have it start the car when they are a few feet from it as we walk up. What the hell benefit is that? Others show people they can do it just because they can. I guess in the colder climates, if you left the defrost on, you could have clear windows when you got in, but thats not the best way to warm up a car, so you have that. I just find it a ridiculous feature, but to each there own.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #62
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I really would like to know what the benefit of remote start is on any car. The only people that I know that have it start the car when they are a few feet from it as we walk up. What the hell benefit is that? Others show people they can do it just because they can. I guess in the colder climates, if you left the defrost on, you could have clear windows when you got in, but thats not the best way to warm up a car, so you have that. I just find it a ridiculous feature, but to each there own.
Come up to Indiana on a cold winters day and start your car in the morning without remote start. You will have an whole new appreciation for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #63
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Come up to Indiana on a cold winters day and start your car in the morning without remote start. You will have an whole new appreciation for it.
I grew up in norther Illinois farm country, and that is why I said in my post that if defrosters were left on, you could come out to clean windows, or you could buy a garage..just kidding! I will give you guys in the north the winter benefits, and I guys the guys in the south by me could make the same claim for A/C. As many say here, if it works for you, its all good! Merry Christmas!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #64
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
In addition to cold and ice, my mods require my car to warm up before I drive off. So instead of getting completely ready to go so I can go out and start my car and then wait for it to warm up, I'd be able to start it remotely and have it warm by the time I am ready to go.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #65
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Respectfully, you are gambling. This reminds me of an otherwise knowledgeable firearms guy at work. We are both enthusiasts of the M1 rifle. One day we talked ammo and I mentioned the gas expansion rate of M2 ball versus modern commerical 30-06. He argued that he uses commercial stuff, the chamber pressures are the same. I informed him that the chamber pressures weren't the issue. It was pressure at the gas port. the oprod can be forced back too hard due to the rate of expansion of modern powder, he's taking a risk because the bolt recoils off the receiver heel. His response was "Well I've never had a problem with that in my life", and he dismissed it. Well sure. And he never will, until the day he does. He's convinced that his small amount of personal experience excuses him from any potential problems. He is willfully ignoring the risk he's taking because that's the way he was taught and so that way must be correct since he does it.

In you case you are knowingly refusing to engage a positive means of holding the vehicle in place and exchanging that for a secondary system which is inferior, when in good practice, both methods are supposed to be used. Would you leave your automatic trans vehicle in neutral as well, because the e-brake is good enough? Of course you wouldn't.

Also, check your local and state laws. You may be surprised; some places have it in plain writing that a manual trans car must be in gear while parked. That's on the books because experience has shown that the parking brake is not good enough.

I've walked out of a house to find a manual trans pickup truck into the back of a collector car I own. The pickup was not in gear, the parking brake wasn't very good, and it rolled downhill into my car. Yeah sure it "popped out of gear". Right.

Don't be that guy
fair enough sucks about the collector car, heartbreaking.
i guess for me being in the valley in texas it isn't a huge concern. there isnt a single hill for a hundred miles from me, the only hills we have are freeway overpasses. example; theres not a stoplight in my town i have to use my brake pedal at, it's all so flat i just sit in neutral.

good example with the firearm story there too, props to you on the knowledge as well. pays to be careful out there handing them
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote