Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Identity and/or Credit Card Theft - IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU! (NOT SPAM!)

So today when I went home from the gym, I ran into the house to change into my jeans and shirt. Mom wanted me to go to Publix to pick up some groceries for her.

Couldn't have been in the house for any more than two minutes - come back out, the car I used had its door open. I found that odd, but chocked it up to carelessness on my part since hey, maybe I didn't close it all the way. I was in a bit of a hurry after all.

Get to the store, notice the 30 dollars in cash she gave me that I stowed in the console box was gone... then I noticed my bookbag from the gym was gone which contained my wallet... which contained five credit cards, my social security card, driver license, and check card to my $16,000 bank account (AKA college & Camaro fund). Scared shitless and hoping to the almighty lord that I took the bookbag inside the house (which I didn't remember doing), I hauled ass back home to find out that I didn't and that I DID leave it in the car. Someone stole it - my suspicions point to the that lives right across from me, the same douchebag who I've personally witnessed back into my mother's car in the morning hours when it was parked in the street and just drive off. It left no damage, so I flipped him off and went about my business but that should tell you how much of a careless, spineless sap he is... then again, it might not have been him. I just think it might've been since when he is outside smoking, it is TOTALLY dark and he is as silent as a mouse, and in front of his line of view where he smokes is my parking lot. He could've seen me coming home and leaving the car giving him the chance. I would've never even known he was there, he is so silent.

So anyway, after spending an hour calling my bank and all the credit card companies to put holds on them and send me new ones, the VERY last one I canceled... my Credit One card... which I haven't used in MONTHS... had a charge on it TODAY for one dollar at a Racetrack gas station. I know where a Racetrack is around here. Funny, either he was seeing if it would work or he bought a lotto ticket. Needless to say, that card was put on hold too.

All in all, the worse part about all this isn't the wallet - it was the other stuff in the bookbag. My favorite pair of jeans, my MP3 player... my jug of Creatine.. Now when I get all these cards back, I am going to have to buy all that crap again. There goes a potential 300 dollars that I had towards the Camaro over some stupid asshole who didn't even get anything out of his thievery. Meh, guess it could've been worse.

So here's the topic. Tell your stories, folks. Has this happened to any of you guys? Let it all out, let's hear em'!
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
hmmmm..... a few months ago i was checking my business bank account online, and there was a charge for $800 from some stationary company (i cant remember the name right now). Needless to say i had to waste my time on the phone with them and the bank, cancelling cards and such.. not fun.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
I recently checked equifax. So worth the money! Found out I was living in Alabama and had some credit in collections! I was pissed. They helped me out and it;s gone now. What the hell man? You try to watch yourself and some jerk comes by and nails your credit. My score dropped like 50-80 points cause of this douche-bag. You guys need to take heed!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
MRK III Z28
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1968 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to MRK III Z28
I'm glad to hear that your cards we weren't charged and that your Camaro fund is intact!!!! Hopefully who ever stole your book bag gets whats coming to them and you have no idea how much i hate douchebags like your neighbor
MRK III Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Edited two posts.
No need for what was said. You know who you are and if you have further question feel free to contact me.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I bought Life Lock.. Not worried about identity theft anymore..
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Double O Nick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Send a message via AIM to Double O Nick
You better hope he didnt buy like 200 dollars worth of gas. Sometimes if you pay at the pump it takes 1 dollar out until the gas station collects all the pumps and charges the rest.... Oh the overdrafts I used to get.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Dude. He has your SS Card. What are you carrying you SS card around for?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Dude. He has your SS Card. What are you carrying you SS card around for?
I know. My dumbass carried it around for so long because I could NEVER get it into the habit of remembering it. I had it hidden in a special part of the wallet but I doubt that helps me. Is there anything I can do about that?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I bought Life Lock.. Not worried about identity theft anymore..
Ok Post your SSN for the world to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O Nick View Post
You better hope he didnt buy like 200 dollars worth of gas. Sometimes if you pay at the pump it takes 1 dollar out until the gas station collects all the pumps and charges the rest.... Oh the overdrafts I used to get.
Yep....When you get gas or something they send for an authorization for 1.00 to see if the card will work the full charge will later be applied after they do the Credit Card Settlement which is usually done at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I know. My dumbass carried it around for so long because I could NEVER get it into the habit of remembering it. I had it hidden in a special part of the wallet but I doubt that helps me. Is there anything I can do about that?
Please tell me you called the police
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
Ok Post your SSN for the world to see

Yep....When you get gas or something they send for an authorization for 1.00 to see if the card will work the full charge will later be applied after they do the Credit Card Settlement which is usually done at night.

Please tell me you called the police
Well, then it's a good thing the card was put on a fraud/stolen hold anyway. The one dollar charge was marked as fraudulent and the card is blocked just like the rest which haven't had a charge since then - it's now morning.

And really, what are the police going to do about it? Sorry if I don't place too much faith in my local law enforcement, but I figure they'll just ask a few questions to humor me and then do jack shit.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Well, then it's a good thing the card was put on a fraud/stolen hold anyway. The one dollar charge was marked as fraudulent and the card is blocked just like the rest which haven't had a charge since then - it's now morning.

And really, what are the police going to do about it? Sorry if I don't place too much faith in my local law enforcement, but I figure they'll just ask a few questions to humor me and then do jack shit.
You should report it. If you tell them about the person that had been in your car before they will go talk to them. And if it was used at the local gas station they can go and check the security tape to see who it was that used it. You really should report it. Someone had to be watching you so it sounds like it was someone close.
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
You need to call each credit bureau and put them on notice. Basically it will tell EACH company that tries to run your credit to call you to confirm that its you trying to get it.

Why do you have 5 credit cards in your wallet?? Seriously? Keep one in there and the rest locked away until you need them. You dont need more than 2 anyway.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
soverydeb

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
the police will do nothing. It's not a "big" enough crime. I had the name of the girl, and where she worked all ready for the police, and they totally blew me off. needless to say, the 700 bucks she charged in 4 hours was erased by my bank within a few weeks. (she had my debit card)

Now I'm absolutely vigilant about who I hand my card over to!
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote