Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Mordeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/Purple
Stock 2010 SS - Adding the most horses?

Hey all, this is my first post here, so I figured I'd start by fishing for advice.

I plan to get the SS and not wait for the Z28, but I want to get alot more than the stock horsepower.

Suggestions? I plan to open up the wallet to make this happen.

BTW, I've never modified a car before, so a brief explanation of what the part/system is and a basic outline of what it does would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Welcome to the site!

partly depends on what actually comes out in the SS(or whatever they release initially)

here are a few generic things from mild to wild (well sorta)
High flow air filiter (K&N etc)
good Synthetic oil (Amzoil, Royal Purple etc)
New oil pan with a crank scrape or windage tray
under drive pulley setup (doesn't make more HPs but it frees it from pushing mechanicals)
Electic Water pump (will probably already have electic fan) - same reason as above
Headers
Cat back exhaust and muffler swap
New Cam, valves lifters and heads
NOS
Turbo or S/C kit(prefer whipple or roots to centrifical)
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Stick to suspension mods until the warranty runs out. Besides, you won't even be able to see the potential of the stock car unless you have traction.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Stick to suspension mods until the warranty runs out. Besides, you won't even be able to see the potential of the stock car unless you have traction.
Even then I'd be a little cautious, but I'm no suspension expert. I've have some bad luck.

I think the most I would do, when my warrantee expires, is big air intake, larger cats, or strait=piping, good old fassioned sports clutch, if not already included, change the plugs and injecters to get more gas. Those little suttle things will get you maybe 10-15% more power. Come very close to geting the 500 hp I want initially if I don't get the SC V8.

But the SS can easily get the 500 hp with out having put in a turbo. If you are a DYIer, bore it out, get an extra .5 out of the displacement, (.8 maybe, to get 7.0? Experts Comments?), big pistons, carbon fiber cranks, big exaust manifolds, cold air intake, new chip, along with all the above. I think you can get 500 ponies out of that with out super charging or Turbo? Right?

Or am I about to be shot down?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Hmm, let's see...the current 2008 models have a 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty. That seems like a long time to hold off on doing non-suspension upgrades. That is, unless you are like me and don't have it in the budget to do anything besides buy the Camaro and just drive the hell out of it in stock form. Once things start to break, then I'll look into upgrades.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It really depends on your goals. You need to decide whether your car is strictly for track purposes or whether it is streetable.

Also, you'll need to keep in mind the following concept:
• fast
• cheap
• reliable
• pick 2
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
Even then I'd be a little cautious, but I'm no suspension expert. I've have some bad luck.

I think the most I would do, when my warrantee expires, is big air intake, larger cats, or strait=piping, good old fassioned sports clutch, if not already included, change the plugs and injecters to get more gas. Those little suttle things will get you maybe 10-15% more power. Come very close to geting the 500 hp I want initially if I don't get the SC V8.

But the SS can easily get the 500 hp with out having put in a turbo. If you are a DYIer, bore it out, get an extra .5 out of the displacement, (.8 maybe, to get 7.0? Experts Comments?), big pistons, carbon fiber cranks, big exaust manifolds, cold air intake, new chip, along with all the above. I think you can get 500 ponies out of that with out super charging or Turbo? Right?

Or am I about to be shot down?
Well, a couple things. Changing the plugs are not necessary until you get a tune up. The injectors won't be needed until forced induction. A DIYer probably can't bore out their own block unless they have a machine shop with a bunch of other stuff.
I didn't know they made carbon fiber cranks, although I've thought that and blocks would be cool.
Cars don't use chips anymore. You can use software to retune it as necessary with your mods.

No need to shoot anyone down lol. I do agree that we won't need a turbo for 500 horses.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
No need to shoot anyone down lol. I do agree that we won't need a turbo for 500 horses.
If you try really hard you can get much more than 500 without forced induction (or nitrous oxide). I think the upper limit for naturally aspirated cars with a big V8 is around 2-2.5 hp/cu, though 1.5/cu would be alot cheaper and easier.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I think i'm just going to throw in some Royal Purple, add a mean exhaust and maybe a better filter.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
well im in the same boat with you. i cant wait for the z and i want my camarl to have about 550 hp at the rear wheels. i plan on doing a ful exhaust system from long tube headers to borla catback exhaust. also plan on doing a little head and cam package professionally installed(hopefully slp) and possibly a vortech or procharger supercharger to get me to 550 if im not already there.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
well the stock LS3 heads are some of the best flowing heads ever on an LS motor. If i were to get the LS3 and wanted the most out of it, i would go with a cam mill the heads to raise the compression, LT headers and full exhaust, itake, P&P throttle body, and probably top it off with a 125 shot. But now i need to figure out how to get the 600 RWHP to the ground, about 500- 520 RWHP without nitrous of course. If any of ya'll haven't driven a fourth gen or any LS1 or LS2 powered car, ya'll are goin to be very surprised and prolly satisfied with the LS3.
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It really depends on your goals. You need to decide whether your car is strictly for track purposes or whether it is streetable.

Also, you'll need to keep in mind the following concept:
• fast
• cheap
• reliable
•*pick 2

LOL well said!

OK
This is what got my 00 z28 to 469 rwhp and is all IMO info

1 Cold air intake @least $100 (cheap, noticable gains and sound)
2 Aftermarket Mass air flow sensor $150+ (i've never had any real hp gains from this mod)
You can also port and polish your throttle body,but expect minimal gains
3 Intake $300-1000 ( Can be a great mod!)
4 Headers $299+++(Go stainless and long tube)
5 Exhaust $900(stainless with a X or Off road Y pipe"ORY")
6 StS turbo kit $4500 installed (turbo stays cooler at the rear of the car)
7 A good tune
8 These are all bolt-ons so there is a lot more you can do if you want to break that engine open.

Also a good set of tires can make all the difference and this car is starting with around 80 more Hp than my 00 so 500 rwhp is very obtainable!

Last edited by Cessna510; 07-06-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Cessna510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Mordeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/Purple
Great info so far!

What sort of things can be done without voiding the warranty? Does GM offer anything worthwhile, or is it better just to stay aftermarket?
Mordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
There's always www.lingenfelter.com
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote