Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Just about every Camaro I've seen has had issues with TPMS signals dropping off, it is really strange. I've seen this happen using OEM sensors, as well as aftermarket sensors. I think something is screwy with the Camaro TPMS system. Luckily, the Camaro doesn't use run-flat tires. No real need for a TPMS then, because it is obvious when the tire is low or flat. LOL! TPMS are critical for cars running run-flat tires mostly, because you can't see when they are flat.

Mostly annoying really, this system is.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
I just hate seeing the damn light on the dash

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
Nine Ball

I have a solution to hide that light.

Just kidding
Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Dealer charged me $75 to reprogram them because I couldn't get the rear driver side sensor to communicate.

yea ... total
Those the ones you got from me? The OPs are too. My TPMS are reading but only last about an hour. I've been driving on them for a few weeks now doing NOTHING and they haven't synced at all. I just live with that Fing light.

Has anyone had the dealer sync them and STILL not work?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Nine Ball

I have an electronic TPMS reset tool, used it on a few local Camaros so far. At least half of the cars have the weird issue, others seem to work fine. My own car seems to work fine, but Will's does not. I'm wondering if early builds were different from later builds.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
I had an issue with the passenger rear not being recognized. I got frustrated, drove it until the weekend, loaded it up with air and tried again. This worked for me. No problems since.
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I took mine to the local dealer after I got my new wheels with non-OEM TPMS on it. The local dealer did NOT do the calibration properly. He just pressed "learn" and let the horn beep a few times. It seemed to find the sensors, but didn't map them to the correct wheels on the DIC display. (He didn't know to let air out of each tire in sequence.) I know they messed it up because today I got in the car and I got a warning that the left rear tire was low. I stopped at a tire shop to get some air so I could make the drive back to the shop (45 miles away) that mounted and balanced my wheels. He checked the pressure in the left rear tire... it' was fine. After checking them all, it was the left front that was low. Ugh. The DIC was showing the left rear as low.

I'll be driving to Columbus in the morning to get the left front tire fixed. It must have slow leak. I'll program the TPMS myself while it's there.

I just found it odd that the service guy at the local Chevy dealer did not know how to program the TPMS in a Camaro. As a side note, I didn't buy my Camaro from that dealer. I've never been very impressed with them, but I thought they should be able to do a simple thing like program the tire sensors. Oh well.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #22
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Didnt get a chance to swing by the dealer, will try tomorrow

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I took mine to the local dealer after I got my new wheels with non-OEM TPMS on it. The local dealer did NOT do the calibration properly. He just pressed "learn" and let the horn beep a few times. It seemed to find the sensors, but didn't map them to the correct wheels on the DIC display. (He didn't know to let air out of each tire in sequence.) I know they messed it up because today I got in the car and I got a warning that the left rear tire was low. I stopped at a tire shop to get some air so I could make the drive back to the shop (45 miles away) that mounted and balanced my wheels. He checked the pressure in the left rear tire... it' was fine. After checking them all, it was the left front that was low. Ugh. The DIC was showing the left rear as low.

I'll be driving to Columbus in the morning to get the left front tire fixed. It must have slow leak. I'll program the TPMS myself while it's there.

I just found it odd that the service guy at the local Chevy dealer did not know how to program the TPMS in a Camaro. As a side note, I didn't buy my Camaro from that dealer. I've never been very impressed with them, but I thought they should be able to do a simple thing like program the tire sensors. Oh well.
Well, when mine get back. I know I'm gonna get this *hit figured out. Run flat or not, it's supposed to work. Geees............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Didnt get a chance to swing by the dealer, will try tomorrow
I'm curious.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Darth_Emma

PQ:
I'm back from the shop. There was a slow leak along the bead on that tire and it's been fixed. Ya!

I stopped at IPS and Mike helped me the car "relearn" the tire pressure sensors. We went through the learn mode, letting air out of one tire at a time in sequence as described in the manual. It seemed to work just fine and we topped off the tires with air. Then, on my way home, the dang "service tire sensor system" warning light came on again and it lost all 4 sensors. WTF?

The guys at the tire shop said that because my sensors are inside the tires that the standard method (described above) might not work. He said that usually only works if you're actuall releasing the air through the valve on the sensors. My sensors are inside the wheel due to the design of the Savini wheels.

My next step is to go to a Chevy dealer to see if they have some kind of scanner.

This is getting awfully expensive to pay people for all this extra stuff! (BTW, IPS did NOT charge me a penny to help me today! - thank you IPS!)
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #25
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very interesting.

I just got back from the dealer and they couldn't get my left rear TPMS to program.
I (and they) assumed the one sensor was bad (aftermarket senors in new wheels). I'm having the wheel supplier ship me out a new sensor.

Maybe that's not the issue?

Does letting air out of the tires work for aftermarket sensors?
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
Darth_Emma

SGO-
Mine seem to be able to be read, but they don't stay programmed in the car for some reason. I'll send Nine Ball an email and see what he recommends doing.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #27
BozFour
Commander

Drives: 2010 2SS Black
whats is the sequence of the relearn?
BozFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
PQ:
I'm back from the shop. There was a slow leak along the bead on that tire and it's been fixed. Ya!

I stopped at IPS and Mike helped me the car "relearn" the tire pressure sensors. We went through the learn mode, letting air out of one tire at a time in sequence as described in the manual. It seemed to work just fine and we topped off the tires with air. Then, on my way home, the dang "service tire sensor system" warning light came on again and it lost all 4 sensors. WTF?

The guys at the tire shop said that because my sensors are inside the tires that the standard method (described above) might not work. He said that usually only works if you're actuall releasing the air through the valve on the sensors. My sensors are inside the wheel due to the design of the Savini wheels.

My next step is to go to a Chevy dealer to see if they have some kind of scanner.

This is getting awfully expensive to pay people for all this extra stuff! (BTW, IPS did NOT charge me a penny to help me today! - thank you IPS!)
Mine are inside the wheel with the stem outside. But you described exactly what mine do. Stay paired for about an hour and just drop off. I've set them about 5 times until I said F it. I gotta send the wheels back again but when I get them back. Something is gonna have to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Very interesting.

I just got back from the dealer and they couldn't get my left rear TPMS to program.
I (and they) assumed the one sensor was bad (aftermarket senors in new wheels). I'm having the wheel supplier ship me out a new sensor.

Maybe that's not the issue?

Does letting air out of the tires work for aftermarket sensors?
Yes. Letting the air out works, but will they STAY working. I also had a problem once reading the left rear. Next day it read it, but like I said, only for about an hour.

Quote:
SGO-
Mine seem to be able to be read, but they don't stay programmed in the car for some reason. I'll send Nine Ball an email and see what he recommends doing.
He doesn't know anything more than us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozFour View Post
whats is the sequence of the relearn?
Left front, right front, right rear, left rear.