Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Strange Idle with VMAX PTB

Well ive had my intake mods done for a while so was hopeing this problem would work it self out but it hasn't. My car ran better than fine with no problems after i intalled my CAI and then i finally got my VMAX PTB and after i installed it noticed a little hiccup. I have noticed that as im coming to a stop, at a light or sign, when i come to a complete stop the car will try to idle to low and almost cut off then it will idle high about 750-800 rpms. Sometimes after it idles high it will drop back down too far again and then idle high again other times it will slowly drop back down to about 500 rpms and sit steady but even then the idle seems a bit rough. Could this be from having more air flow than the untuned computer can handle? I havent had any CEL's and it hasnt completely cut off on me yet but its just a bit odd. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by LS3 Handler; 05-30-2013 at 04:10 PM.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Have you data logged? It could be a vacuum leak. Did you hook all the hoses back up properly?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
TheShowStopperLFX

Drives: 2012 LFX
It Could be the TB. if it was CNC alittle pass the blade it could cause that. I made a post about doing my own CNC TB and this was the answers i got.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298221
TheShowStopperLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

No i havent data logged and honestly dont know how. The only line i saw from the TB was the electrical connector so idk what hoses i could have switched. I have installed a Catch Can and breather cap. So i sealed up the hole in the intake up good and sorted out all problems with my Catch can a good while before i installed the TB. Same goes with the CAI i went back over all my connections. It could be like ShowStopper said a little too much taken off from VMAX may cause the issue and even with a good CNC machine anything can happen. Having a stock tune dosent help but i dont want to lose my warranty.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Camaro588

Drives: 2012 camaro LS
I Have noticed this in mine as well, Exactly like you stated. I noticed it a little with the CAI only, and once installed the VMAX it was more pronounced. Ive had issues with the car in the past thought too, so I still have to make a trip to the dealer.
Camaro588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 LS Supercar View Post
No i havent data logged and honestly dont know how. The only line i saw from the TB was the electrical connector so idk what hoses i could have switched. I have installed a Catch Can and breather cap. So i sealed up the hole in the intake up good and sorted out all problems with my Catch can a good while before i installed the TB. Same goes with the CAI i went back over all my connections. It could be like ShowStopper said a little too much taken off from VMAX may cause the issue and even with a good CNC machine anything can happen. Having a stock tune dosent help but i dont want to lose my warranty.
No yea I understand, and you capped off the valley cover connection?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

I have the one on the CAI capped off and the one on the right hand side near the back of the motor if facing the car from the front.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
TheShowStopperLFX

Drives: 2012 LFX
Quote:
Fine a dealer that is mod friendly. you might have to look around. that will help you in out favor. because they know tunes won't mess up the car if it is done right.
TheShowStopperLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Hello V6 LS Supercar,

Have you considered visiting a dealer to see if they can pinpoint what the issue is? If so, we are able to set that appointment for you to save you some time. We would need some information from you which you can private message me. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro588 View Post
I Have noticed this in mine as well, Exactly like you stated. I noticed it a little with the CAI only, and once installed the VMAX it was more pronounced. Ive had issues with the car in the past thought too, so I still have to make a trip to the dealer.
Hello Camaro588,

We can help you as well. Would you like some assistance making an appointment to get you into a dealer? We are able to locate one nearest you for your convenience.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Well i have spoke with Pete from Vmax Motorsports. He said that this is the first time he has heard of any issues with the new LFX PTB. He says that a good tune would fix the issue but im not yet ready to throw a tune on the car yet. He is going to send me a new PTB with a little different porting on it to see if this fixes the problem. He said the new port would hide the blade more or basically lessen the amount of porting done near the blade. He said that i shouldnt see any performance difference down low but it could lose 1 HP or so at WOT. He doesnt think the PTB is bad but i could have the blade slightly hanging up or he said some computers just react a little different to different mods and it varies from car to car so this could just be a computer tune issue. But we shal see.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Robmoney23

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS 45th Anniversary
I have noticed this same issue. It was kinda noticeable at first, but I just recently took a drive to pismo beach at almost zero sea level and it was very dramatic. I thought for sure becasue the revs were so low it was gunna die, but then it would over rev to make up the difference. I am from reno which is 4500 ft elevation. If the new PTB helps please let me know.
2012 2SS/RS 45th Anniversary Edition, JRE 470 CAM, SLP Under drive Pulley, Upgrade valve train, Tinted Windows, AAC Aqua interior lights & foot lights, CAI Intake, Catch Can, Gloss Black 20" 45th Rims, Kooks Headers, Kooks High Flow Cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust, BMR Lowerin Springs, BMR sway bars, BMR rear end links and bushings, Jannetty Racing/SCT Tuned 91 ctane, 12inch Kicker Comp Sub, Custom Driverside Box, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, and Plasti Dipped bowties, emblems.
Robmoney23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Camaro588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoney23 View Post
I have noticed this same issue. It was kinda noticeable at first, but I just recently took a drive to pismo beach at almost zero sea level and it was very dramatic. I thought for sure becasue the revs were so low it was gunna die, but then it would over rev to make up the difference. I am from reno which is 4500 ft elevation. If the new PTB helps please let me know.
Let me know as well, cause I will ask for a replacement as well
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Camaro588

Quote:
Well i have spoke with Pete from Vmax Motorsports. He said that this is the first time he has heard of any issues with the new LFX PTB. He says that a good tune would fix the issue but im not yet ready to throw a tune on the car yet. He is going to send me a new PTB with a little different porting on it to see if this fixes the problem. He said the new port would hide the blade more or basically lessen the amount of porting done near the blade. He said that i shouldnt see any performance difference down low but it could lose 1 HP or so at WOT. He doesnt think the PTB is bad but i could have the blade slightly hanging up or he said some computers just react a little different to different mods and it varies from car to car so this could just be a computer tune issue. But we shal see.
I would also mention that you arent the only one having some issues.