Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Question about Auto Shifting

I was just wondering how well the paddle shifters work in shifting... I know there is a delay in the shift.. but lets say you were at a red light about to race some mustang punk ... whats the best way to accelerate? do u just put it in M mode in 1 gear... floor it 100% when the light goes green, and paddle shift to 2nd when u near red line? then paddle shift to 3rd when u near red line again while keeping it floored the entire time?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
Why bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky918 View Post
lets say you were at a red light about to race some mustang punk ...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma_1966 View Post
Why bother
Exactly... take it to the track where it belongs!

That being said... I did an experiment at the track... First run Sport Mode. Second run Paddle Shifters... Times were IDENTICAL... Shifts times were basically a wash... manually shifting was slightly faster over all by like .025 second.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34178

BTW, ignore the low trap speed... track seems to have an issue with getting a consistent trap seed for my car... ????
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Let me first say that racing on the street is reckless and irresponsible.

As for the paddles, I would say that the average driver isn't going to be able to consistently outshift the computer...I would leave it in drive...but that's just me.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
In Ontario (Canada) Street racing falls under new legislation that is an automatic 7 day suspension, your car is impounded and a minimum $2000 fine. Not to mention how much your insurance goes up once your convicted.

If your lucky thats all you get. If your unlucky those charges and fines pale in comparison to Criminal Negligence causing death.

Here is an example

Guilty Plea In Fatal Brampton Crash

I can tell you it's not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post

As for the paddles, I would say that the average driver isn't going to be able to consistently outshift the computer...I would leave it in drive...but that's just me.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
JesseJames

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post

Paddles seem to help most with saving gas... like shifting up before you hit 2k rpm

or also is nice to be able to downshift on the highway if its in tolerance. Just a nice "extra"
JesseJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
Paddles seem to help most with saving gas... like shifting up before you hit 2k rpm

or also is nice to be able to downshift on the highway if its in tolerance. Just a nice "extra"
I actually find that Sport mode does a great job downshifting! I did a road course 2 weeks ago and left the car in Sport mode... The car was usually in the right gear and if I wasn't it sure got there in a hurry! And it was downshifting very aggressively in the corners! I was very impressed with the Sport calibration!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
One thing to remember when using the paddle shifters.....dont let it hit the rev limiter!!!! Did it at the drags and it made me loose to a Rustang ! YUK!
Revenge tonight!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
One thing to remember when using the paddle shifters.....dont let it hit the rev limiter!!!! Did it at the drags and it made me loose to a Rustang ! YUK!
Revenge tonight!
Which is exactly why i just leave it in Sport mode... Still runs it up to redline and shifts just as quick as using the paddles... Really no advantage to using the paddles in this situation... And as you found out actually slowed you down... I actually messed up once also... (this was at the track). I had my fingers on the paddles. I launch.. car jerks me back and i accidentally pull back on the + paddle which puts me in 2nd gear at like the 3 foot line!!! OOPS!! Now I just stick with Sport mode... LOL
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your best bet would be to use M (Sport Mode) without the paddle shifters. Because it will run consistantly fast and you don't have to worry about messing up a shift. When using the paddle shifters you have to watch the tach or speedo (not the road) and make sure you shift at the appropriate time (before you get to redline).

And when using the tapshifts you need to shift before you get to redline. In my SS, if you wait until you get too close to redline, you'll end up bouncing off the rev limiter and it slows you down (which I've done).

I do like to use the paddle shifters when I roll off the line slow and want the transmission to stay in 1st gear (like a 15 mph roll). Then when I mash the gas, I'm already in 1st and don't have to wait for the transmission to drop me down. But I have to be ready and make a quick upshift to 2nd gear.
1st gear redlines at 37mph so you have to be ready to make that first shift by about 34mph or so.

But when I go to the track, I will definately let the computer do the shifting.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
The Tap-Shift mode will automatically shift for you before you red-line it. Try it, its true.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
I would use the M mode aka Sports mode. You will get yourself a little extra speed. What you can do is Start in Auto mode then while accelerating switch to M mode (Sports mode) to get that extra kick.

Also, don't race people on the street. It is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I would expect that in sport mode for WOT drag racing runs, the computer will do a better job than a human can be expected to do; manual gear choice would be for when you know something that the computer doesn't, such as the example above of rolling in 15mph where you know you'll want to stay in 1st.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I know I don't have a Camaro yet but. It should have a sweet spot you can follow without doing anything but adding throttle. You push it just enough so that traction control does not activate.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote