Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Tx SoCal, should ve read JDPs post. This thing bolt to the back of the beam and then come out under it to the front?

Matt,

Why 2nd after turn 1? I get it sideways in 3rd there but turn two kicks my butt in third and in second the diff just spins the inside like you said. Z/28 diff anybody?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Matt, that's quite impressive especially considering the few mods you've done. Simply awesome, congrats!

I've been bitten by cold tires before as well, I found it nearly impossible to drive a Viper on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in temps below 55 degrees. KRich nearly blew chunks as my passenger when I spun at Buttonwillow during a session in the 40s, LOL.

I've yet to feel the need for a brake upgrade, it may be that I don't have enough experience to know what I'm missing or that my driving style doesn't seem to need them. Thank goodness, as I'm way beyond my mod budget already, LOL. I've taken classes at Ron Fellows, and they preach slow in fast out, so my style is easier than some on brakes. I've been avoiding threshold braking to preserve the tires and brakes and I tend to be smoother and turn faster laps that way. That said, I'll be running Hoosiers this weekend for the first time, and with my aero I may soon find my brakes' limitations. I'm running stock brakes with stainless lines, Motul 600 fluid and Hawk HP+ pads.
Thank you. I was reviewing the video again an what I did in my head and I think it was a combo of cold tires, engine braking by dropping into 2nd at a high RPM the slight crest on the track just before the turn....Add in my lack of judgement and you get a spin. Now, a spin has never bothered me as it is part of testing the limits....but I still like to figure out what cause it.

I don't believe I fully explored the potential of the stock brakes with a good pad and am more than confident they are up to the task for most and could have been for me to. When the opportunity to install the CTS-V Set-up came up at a lower cost than expected I jumped on it. When I raced I was always a late braker as I could catch a lot of guys in the braking zone the only thing I can recommend for th estock brakes is to get some airflow to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Congrats on the PB! Glad your "off" wasn't too bad. Good thing you had your new JDP tow hook!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Thank you Tyler....and yes I am glad I had it as it was an easy pull to get it out of the mud. the track official even thanked me for having it as it made his job easy and was only a bout a 2-3 minute delay to get the course back up and running....

When will the rear tow hooks be available ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Hey Matt. What app is that on your phone? I might want to download that before my next track day.
Harrys Lap Timer....I really like the app and still don't know how to use half of the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Awesome, what you couldn't do with a little more power and a better diff. About that diff Amazon is having a sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Torsen-Differe...n+differential

Also nice to see you were able to make good use of those new brakes and your tow hook. Way to represent! Pedders did have a specific rear sway bar for the 1LE. A shame they are not gone.
Yep...both diff and more power are on the list for later.

I am not an advocate for the big rear bar install as it is more of a band aid than a proper fix. This is what I typed in a private message to another member just yesterday.

In talking to a couple members of the Camaro eng. team they both agreed that you should not put stiffer sway bars on the 1LE. GM talks roll stiffness in degrees. The 1LE has something like 1.8 degree of roll and the ZL1 was a 2.2ish. (Z/28 was not discussed.) I was told if you put a stiffer bar on the car you could start to "tear things". and in the two separate conversations I was advised against it.

I learned years ago setting up track cars that you do your tuning with springs and the bars are supposed to be used to fine tune or dial in the car. I honestly think that when building the 1LE the focus at GM was on cost to bring the 1LE in below the cost of the Boss 302 but still beat it on track, and that is why the SS springs were used. (Just my opinion) GM then put the biggest bars they could on the car to help the springs. The ZL1 has smaller bars and the magnetic ride handles most of the body roll....The Z/28 has a 80% stiffer spring with smaller bars.....Yeah yeah its crazy talk as it goes against what you were told.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Thank you. I was reviewing the video again an what I did in my head and I think it was a combo of cold tires, engine braking by dropping into 2nd at a high RPM the slight crest on the track just before the turn....Add in my lack of judgement and you get a spin. Now, a spin has never bothered me as it is part of testing the limits....but I still like to figure out what cause it.

I don't believe I fully explored the potential of the stock brakes with a good pad and am more than confident they are up to the task for most and could have been for me to. When the opportunity to install the CTS-V Set-up came up at a lower cost than expected I jumped on it. When I raced I was always a late braker as I could catch a lot of guys in the braking zone the only thing I can recommend for th estock brakes is to get some airflow to them.

Thank you Tyler....and yes I am glad I had it as it was an easy pull to get it out of the mud. the track official even thanked me for having it as it made his job easy and was only a bout a 2-3 minute delay to get the course back up and running....

Harrys Lap Timer....I really like the app and still don't know how to use half of the options.

Yep...both diff and more power are on the list for later.

I am not an advocate for the big rear bar install as it is more of a band aid than a proper fix. This is what I typed in a private message to another member just yesterday.

In talking to a couple members of the Camaro eng. team they both agreed that you should not put stiffer sway bars on the 1LE. GM talks roll stiffness in degrees. The 1LE has something like 1.8 degree of roll and the ZL1 was a 2.2ish. (Z/28 was not discussed.) I was told if you put a stiffer bar on the car you could start to "tear things". and in the two separate conversations I was advised against it.

I learned years ago setting up track cars that you do your tuning with springs and the bars are supposed to be used to fine tune or dial in the car. I honestly think that when building the 1LE the focus at GM was on cost to bring the 1LE in below the cost of the Boss 302 but still beat it on track, and that is why the SS springs were used. (Just my opinion) GM then put the biggest bars they could on the car to help the springs. The ZL1 has smaller bars and the magnetic ride handles most of the body roll....The Z/28 has a 80% stiffer spring with smaller bars.....Yeah yeah its crazy talk as it goes against what you were told.

-Matt
Leave it to Matt to requote what he sent me yesterday. Springs will be the mod after I get her broken in and get some time with her on the track. By the way, the video is tantalizing to the point that I need to sign up for the open track day over at Gateway later this year.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #18
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Matt, thats an awesome laptime man, crazy fast. Why in the world did u take the strut bar off!?!? U thinking less stiff more grip?

Now about that tow hook.... Where do I get one and send pics of it mounted. You got a rear one?
Thanks....

My Tow Hook Thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Tx SoCal, should ve read JDPs post. This thing bolt to the back of the beam and then come out under it to the front?

Matt,

Why 2nd after turn 1? I get it sideways in 3rd there but turn two kicks my butt in third and in second the diff just spins the inside like you said. Z/28 diff anybody?
Yes, 3rd is the gear I normally use but I was experimenting with 2nd to get a little extra drive out of some of the corners. I like to experiment with different lines and gears to reduce the lap times.....They don't always work out!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
NYROC655

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE Track Ready
Orange Crush 1LE -

Are you running 19" Hoosier R compounds slicks? I wish they made a 20" slicks then it would be really easy for us 1LE track guys.
NYROC655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROC655 View Post
Orange Crush 1LE -

Are you running 19" Hoosier R compounds slicks? I wish they made a 20" slicks then it would be really easy for us 1LE track guys.
I have been running Nitto NT-01 315/30-18s front and rear. Just amazing tires, I'm really impressed with them. They grip in the cold, in the hot, when new, all the way down to the cord. For the first time, I'll be trying out Hoosier A6's this weekend. I'll be doing a time trial competing against Mustangs and Camaros. Just a small local thing, but should be a blast. I'll post up my experience.

Soon, Hoosier is rumored to be releasing the R7 (to replace the R6) in more sizes, hopefully there will be some new larger sizes.

I think you can now get Toyo R888s in 285/30-20, that would be a great choice for the track I would think.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #21
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Just added a second video to the first post.....I was playing around on the wet track with a friend in the passenger seat.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

......added short video of me vs. a C5 with a 6.0L swap and race tires.

-Matt
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #23
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:

-Matt
We have been contemplating a good way to mount it, but we can't seem to find a way without cutting the rear fascia.

We do offer the Proven Wicked rear tow hooks, but they do require cutting the fascia..

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #24
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Im a little late to the party,I've been gone skiing.Matt,when i saw the pic's of the car in the mud,such a bummerglad there wasn't any damage. Thanks for posting and good thing you had your tow hook.Is the video from GoPro?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:

-Matt
No arguing with your results!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Im a little late to the party,I've been gone skiing.Matt,when i saw the pic's of the car in the mud,such a bummerglad there wasn't any damage. Thanks for posting and good thing you had your tow hook.Is the video from GoPro?
Thanks. Honestly. I have spun or driving off track enough times in 17 years it doesn't faze me at all. I gave her a good hand wash tonight and can confirm not even a scrap. Yes it is a GoPro Hero 2. I barely use it so I don't really know how to dial it in, but it works.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #27
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I've never spun in a car,all my track thingies were on my bike from crashing when i was racing :( How do you have your GoPro mounted,i like how close it is to the windshield.This is how i have mine inside.I bought a 4 gang electrical cover and box,mounted to my harness bar.I cut down a 4x4 to a 3x3 and mounted it.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Matt,

Nice vids. I have a new t shirt for you...

Lol.

The wet vids I, at first laugh, thought was going to be a drift video. Congrats on the new PB.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote