Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
So if you're going to jump on it at the stop light (as I say "Give it the Onion") would you just leave it in Sport Mode and let the car do its thing, or would it be a good time to use Comp Mode?

Give it a try with and without, and go with YOUR comfort zone. The two mode act differently ...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
luis nunez

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Guys I have a simple question about this... Does the competitive mode add HP? If I dyno a Car with Competitive mode on, will the car show a higher RWHP or TQ?

O
luis nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up. So my next question is- what is the benefit of Comp Mode then? My car is basically a to and from work car when the weather is nice, or a road trip car (again nice weather). Once the snow falls, this sucker is going in the garage and the truck is coming out. I've never owned a car that has this stuff on it, so I'm still in the dark.
Quote:
So if you're going to jump on it at the stop light (as I say "Give it the Onion") would you just leave it in Sport Mode and let the car do its thing, or would it be a good time to use Comp Mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Give it a try with and without, and go with YOUR comfort zone. The two mode act differently ...
SlingShot is exactly right. StabiliTrak and Traction Control (TCS) are both "tools" if you will that come on most cars these days. They are tools in that they basically help aid drivers by preventing wheel spin and lost control of the vehicle. You can think of it this way in basic terms: traction control keeps your wheels from spinning on straight line acceleration and StabiliTrak keeps the car "in line" when it starts to fish-tail.

I would recommend finding a quiet spot (parking lot or abandoned road) to test this out versus while driving with cars around you. TCS off will allow you to smoke the tires. StabiliTrak off will allpw the car to easily get sideways on you. So if you haven't messed with the car in this way, I would make sure you have some space to do it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis nunez View Post
Guys I have a simple question about this... Does the competitive mode add HP? If I dyno a Car with Competitive mode on, will the car show a higher RWHP or TQ?

O
Neither of these modes adds any HP to the car. They only engage or kick in when you have wheel spin due to loss of traction or when the front of the car gets out of line with the rear. I would doubt that turning either off on a dyno run would make any difference.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
SlingShot is exactly right. StabiliTrak and Traction Control (TCS) are both "tools" if you will that come on most cars these days. They are tools in that they basically help aid drivers by preventing wheel spin and lost control of the vehicle. You can think of it this way in basic terms: traction control keeps your wheels from spinning on straight line acceleration and StabiliTrak keeps the car "in line" when it starts to fish-tail.

I would recommend finding a quiet spot (parking lot or abandoned road) to test this out versus while driving with cars around you. TCS off will allow you to smoke the tires. StabiliTrak off will allpw the car to easily get sideways on you. So if you haven't messed with the car in this way, I would make sure you have some space to do it in.
This is great info- thank you for putting it this way.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
SlingShot is exactly right.
SlingShot is not exactly right...I believe he has the TC/Stabilitrak backwards...I think Competitive Mode in the L99 (A6) turns Traction Control (TC) completely off and reduces your Stabilitrak.

Here's why I think that...if you look at the icon that remains lit in the DIC after selecting Competitive Mode, it is the same icon that is lit when you do a single push of the button to turn off TC.

The only difference is the display of the words, "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode." Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Does this makes sense from a "performance" standpoint? Two weeks ago, I ran my car in Competitive Mode at the track on every run (12 runs, in total) except one...on that run, I forgot and left the car in "D" and did not double-tap into Competitive Mode. So basically, I was in "D" with all the nannies turned on, and I had my fastest run of the night (a 13.55 sec @ 103.83).

I'm racing it again tomorrow night...if I learn anything new, I'll post here...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #20
O44DOG

Drives: 2010 SS
Look at the video that GM put out for the vette. It explains the modes and shows the performance difference of the car.
O44DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by O44DOG View Post
Look at the video that GM put out for the vette. It explains the modes and shows the performance difference of the car.
Do you have a link for this video?
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Do you have a link for this video?

Here it is ...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30849
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
SlingShot is not exactly right...I believe he has the TC/Stabilitrak backwards...I think Competitive Mode in the L99 (A6) turns Traction Control (TC) completely off and reduces your Stabilitrak.

Here's why I think that...if you look at the icon that remains lit in the DIC after selecting Competitive Mode, it is the same icon that is lit when you do a single push of the button to turn off TC.

The only difference is the display of the words, "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode." Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Does this makes sense from a "performance" standpoint? Two weeks ago, I ran my car in Competitive Mode at the track on every run (12 runs, in total) except one...on that run, I forgot and left the car in "D" and did not double-tap into Competitive Mode. So basically, I was in "D" with all the nannies turned on, and I had my fastest run of the night (a 13.55 sec @ 103.83).

I'm racing it again tomorrow night...if I learn anything new, I'll post here...
There are actually 4 settings:

1. Turn the car on and don't touch the button (TCS and StabiliTrak both on).

2. 1 tap of the button turns off TCS (meaning you can spin the tires), but StabiliTrak is still engaged (you won't go too far sideways).

3. 2 taps of the button puts the car into Competitive Driving Mode (StabiliTrak off and reduced TCS performance).

4. Hold the button for 7 seconds. Turns everything completely off. I believe this is described in another thread as "Mayhem Mode".

There is another thread that discusses this a bit.

If you are talking about performance on a track versus a dyno, then messing with these settings could most definitely affect your run times. These various modes will all change the way the car hooks up and launches.

Last edited by Inspector 17; 07-14-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Corrected #3
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #24
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
No! traction control is off and some stabilitrac is working to affect your handling. ( thats double tapping the TC button) minimally intrusive.
Why is it i can do smoky burnouts in competation mode......the traction is left up to my right foot.

i have not heard of the Mayhem, though i would not doubt it

to the OP there is one heck of a difference in my car between traction control on and off with competative mode on)

Just throw it S and double tap the TC. Enjoy the ride!
But be careful to know your limits.
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
There are actually 4 settings:

1. Turn the car on and don't touch the button (TCS and StabiliTrak both on).

2. 1 tap of the button turns off TCS (meaning you can spin the tires), but StabiliTrak is still engaged (you won't go too far sideways).

3. 2 taps of the button puts the car into Competitive Driving Mode (TCS off and reduced StabiliTrak performance).

4. Hold the button for 7 seconds. Turns everything completely off. I believe this is described in another thread as "Mayhem Mode".

There is another thread that discusses this a bit.

If you are talking about performance on a track versus a dyno, then messing with these settings could most definitely affect your run times. These various modes will all change the way the car hooks up and launches.

Yes,

Competitive mode - TC off and StabiliTrac reduced.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Why doesn't the TC light come on if TC is disabled in Comp mode?
Attached Images

mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
From the Owners Manual:
Attached Images

x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote