Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #393
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Unhappy Stepping back 35 years... DRIVE SAFELY!

This is one of my cathartic entries into the Orange Krate journal that some may not want to read, maybe think inappropriate or perhaps too personal to go in a Camaro journal. This was an item on my bucket list.

I post it here for one reason, the hope that perhaps someone who is reading this remembers this story when they have a case of road rage brewing or perhaps are a bit too over the edge while driving their car... especially at night on a canyon road.

Stop reading now if you are sensitive to descriptive stories involving death!

----------------------------

When I was 19 years old I briefly dated a young lady who was two years younger than I. Bottom line is we were both young, came from two very different backgrounds and were not ready for any sort of long term relationship. However, I truly did love this gal and could picture myself with her to this day had fate not dealt such a crappy hand.

Her name was Kim. She had long blonde beautiful hair, blue eyes, a great smile and laugh. We went everywhere together including the drag races. We double dated with her sister and another friend of mine.

After about 6 months of steady dating I was feeling fairly serious about this relationship. She still had one semester left in high school and then it was off to college for her. I had a job at the time and was doing OK. I was driving a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 so life was good. We split apart after she went back to high school for senior year. I didn't date, but was waiting to see how the chips would fall after she graduated. Hoping to get back together. Then came that fateful night that changed both of our lives forever.

It was January 1976 and I was working at a large new shopping mall and one of the security guards said there was a personal call for me on a work pay phone. I went and answered the phone and it was the guy I hung around with that was dating Kim's sister. All I heard him say was "Kim is dead." I went on autopilot from that point as he explained. He had picked Kim up and they were coming to the town I lived in. As he was driving (at a higher rate of speed) through the canyon, a car suddenly came around the corner and was in their lane. Not wanting to have a head on collision in his new Chevelle, he turned the wheel hard right and they veered off the road down an embankment into a small, dry stream bed. The car hit the sand and flipped. Kim did not have on a seatbelt and was thrown out the passenger window and landed under the car. My friend says he raced around to the other side of the car and saw she was pinned underneath in the soft sand and the car was settling on top of her. She died from traumatic asphyxia.

Because Kim and I had gone our separate ways I had lost contact with the family. My buddy who was driving went into seclusion. There was no information as to when/where the funeral was going to be. I was naive and really didn't know how to pursue getting the information and candidly I was in shock myself.

For 35 years I never knew where Kim was buried and I always had emotional and mental unfinished business with this, up until about 2 months ago when I discovered where she was buried at through a friend of mine at the Coroner's Office. I finally drove to her gravesite and washed my mind and found some closure. I took Orange Krate there and stood and stared down at the headstone and contemplated a long ago place and time. Driving the old Chevelle to go visit Kim and take her on a date. One can imagine all the "what ifs..." that go through a person's mind when reflecting back over 35 years. Kim's family has had several tragic events after the loss of Kim and I will forever think of them fondly and sadly for the great losses in their family.

In the meantime here is a photo of Orange Krate taken today parked in front of the grave area where Kim is buried at next to her Grandmother. Also included is a link to "Findagrave" where I added a memorial for Kim after I visited the gravesite the first time.

Rest in Peace Kim.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=66112014
Attached Images

Last edited by Orange Krate; 06-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #394
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
After the last post I decided to throw caution to the wind and live a little. There are somethings in the works for Orange Krate. I will stay mum until he gets them. I don't want to spill the beans quite yet. Let's just say his voice is changing.
By voice changing, do you mean... Higher or lower... ..

Personally, I don't want to look back anymore and say what if... I learned that in our chosen profession. I learned to go about it with due recognition and education of the risks, and to minimize them but, I'm going to live life to the fullest I can...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #395
MOMSREDSS

Drives: 2010 Victory RED RS/SS L99
Sorry for the loss of Kim. I'm glad you found her grave & are working on the emotions that you've held for so long. May you find peace & closeure.

I wonder if Orange Crate will sound like my car (not named yet, thinking of "Grace" - but not sure yet).
2010 2SS/RS, L99, Victory Red, Cyber Gray Stripes, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Tinted Windows, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Pedders Stainless Brake Lines, ARH Long Tube Headers, SLP Loudmouth II Axle Back, BMR Rear trailing arms, BMR Level 3 Performance Handling Package; Build Journal http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130448
MOMSREDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #396
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Exclamation Orange Krate's Voice Changed!

It finally happened! Orange Krate has hit puberty! Today his voice changed dramatically. Short of a vocal cord transplant, it is amazing how much a set of mufflers wakes up the MUSCLE CAR DNA in that LS3. Not only did I notice an immediate deep bassy throaty tone, but I could feel more torque and responsiveness just in regular, smooth driving. It almost seems like I took off the emergency brake when launching! There is certainly more cabin noise while driving but not so loud you have to fight to hear yourself talk or listen to the radio.

A friend of mine, Chip, at "Chip's Brake and Muffler" in Newhall, CA did the install for me. I have known Chip for many years and he has done all my exhaust work going back to the early 90's. I trust no other. He is one of the good guys that is as honest as the day is long and his craftsmanship has never let me down.

He recommended the Flowmaster Model 42541 (2 stage) 40 Series. As you can see by the photo, the muffler is much smaller and lighter than the factory "trash cans" that come on the car. Interestingly, the drain holes on the bottom of the OEM mufflers were ALREADY showing signs of rust around the openings. The car has NEVER been in the rain or water in that area as you can see by the shot of the exhaust pipe with no muffler, the bottom is clean.

Orange Krate now has 5200 miles on him and he is running stronger than ever. Here are before and after videos of the car idling.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

THANKS OSHAWA! And thank you Chip!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #397
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
You can tell a difference! Sounds good! Now we need some reving and fly bys!! I bet youre grinning lots when you floor it now!!
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #398
blade_ss

Drives: '12 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & 05 Mazda3
There you go Jim. Glad to see you're finally able to do what you want with the car. You might have to stop by the store one day so I can hear those beasts in person. So have you installed your new tail lights in yet? Do I see pearl stripes in the future?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #399
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Sounds like "The Crate" has reached puberty indeed lol. I had to come check on him, havent visited in a while. Congrats on the new mod and I agree with Brandi, vids of revs and drive bys please he he.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #400
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_ss View Post
There you go Jim. Glad to see you're finally able to do what you want with the car. You might have to stop by the store one day so I can hear those beasts in person. So have you installed your new tail lights in yet? Do I see pearl stripes in the future?
Hey Marcus! I am waiting for the LEDs. They are under high demand. Should arrive in August. Stripes are in the works. Waiting for painter to finish more samples. He has switched paint suppliers and is getting a feel for the nuances of PPG. He had a dead ringer for the IOM color. The test hood looked like a panel off of my car. Perfect match!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #401
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Happy 4th of July!

Wishing all Veterans, their families and significant others a wonderful July 4th holiday weekend. Thank you for your service, your sacrifices, and all you do. Just reflecting on where we would be without your dedication and skills.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #402
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Hi Jim,
Hope you had a great 4th. Just caught up on your thread few weeks back, and was glad to see you ran with my idea for some matching orange shoes! They look great, and in fact you inspired me to look for some orange Vans for myself....I didn't have luck finding in my size, so was looking at having to custom order, and wait 8+ weeks...Thought I'd check out Converse site, and discovered they have even more customization options, allowing you to chose white/black soles, thread color, etc, etc...only for $62-75 in low/hi-top styles, delivered in only 3-4 weeks! Monogram option at no extra cost. Just thought you'd like to see sample of what can be done in case you're looking to add second pair. The orange stitch on black looks very sharp. (I'm about to order the other one shown) Here's link-http://www.converse.com/?csid=1#/pro...ne/scratch/all

(canvas shoe's shown are "Skid Grip CVO", and the best canvas hi-top, IMO is "Poorman Weapon" . Both styles shown on webpage 2 of their custom site...The other shoes are either suede or have the goofy toe bumper)
Attached Images

Last edited by DerbyChamp06; 07-05-2011 at 11:56 PM.
DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #403
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
Hi Jim,
Hope you had a great 4th. Just caught up on your thread few weeks back, and was glad to see you ran with my idea for some matching orange shoes! They look great, and in fact you inspired me to look for some orange Vans for myself...
Good stuff! I am looking at a set of those high tops for support of my old weary ankles! LOL Thanks for the link.

I spent the holiday weekend with my wife up in the Buellton/Solvang area of northern Santa Barbara County. I towed the 5th wheel up there and we just basked in the quiet serene tranquility of the Santa Ynez Valley. This area is IDEAL for a cruise in a muscle car, street rod, hot rod or motorcycle. It is sprinkled with wineries, cuisine, quaint shops and off the road places to explore. It is inland from the northern Santa Barbara coast about 20 miles. Hot during the day with cool evenings to sleep good in. If one is lucky they can witness up close and personal, a rocket launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base which is right on the coast. Solvang is a MUST see! Next week Prince William and Katherine ("Kate") will be visiting the same area!!!

Google "Solvang" and look at photos and you will see a rich Danish enclave! My wife and I have talked about retiring there!

It reminds me of transplanting Orange Krate to a new home and a moniker like this:

Attached Images

Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #404
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Exclamation Orange Krate Gets Tint!

Today was the big day. I made an appointment with Discount Mobile Window Tinting. Ron Dugar showed up exactly as scheduled. He sized up Orange Krate, we talked about tint types and quality and I decided to go with a medium tint since it is hard enough to see out the back window. Not that it does any good! LOL It doesn't matter when you are pulling away from Mustangs and Challengers!

Ron had the job done in no time. Right in my driveway. The window tinting really changes the appearance for the better I think. I only did the passenger side windows and rear window. I don't feel like fighting window tinting issues with the local gendarms. Here are three cell phone photos of the finished project. I can tell the car is cooler already in the hot summer Southern California sun. The tint is LLumar and it has lifetime warranty. Discount Window Tinting travels all over the place to do onsite jobs. I was referred to them by my buddy who is a manager at a local car dealer. They have been using them for years. I now know why.

http://www.discountwindowtinting.com

Oh... I almost forgot... talk about ticked off, the night before last I went to visit my Great Aunt. I parked on the street and her neighbors sprinklers came on (coincidence?) and wiped out the wax job on Orange Krate. I had to spend a couple of hours today doing damage control. UGH! But at least Orange Krate has new tinting now!
Attached Images

Last edited by Orange Krate; 07-09-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #405
blade_ss

Drives: '12 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & 05 Mazda3
She's looking great Jim. Just slowly completing that checklist of mods. I love the way tint makes cars look especially the Camaro. Now just waiting for the LED tails.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #406
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_ss View Post
She's looking great Jim. Just slowly completing that checklist of mods. I love the way tint makes cars look especially the Camaro. Now just waiting for the LED tails.
You and me both! I saw them in person on a Camaro at Camfest II and they are awesome! Erica liked them too. I talked to Jim's Tire today and they have the OEM rims for the Camaro that are chromed! That is going to happen as well. I was doing a little research and found out the tire pressure microswitchs in the wheels go for about $65.00 each. I have a spare set on the extra set of wheels and tires I bought. I could be getting those chrome wheels real soon! It will be about $780.00 with tax. I really want my stripes!!!