Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
wantsa2ssrs

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Claying and Detail Spraying!

What else do u guys use while claying your car? I can't afford to keep buying detail spray! I could go through 3 bottles on a single car! I hear u can mix water and car wash soap...will this work? will it hurt the car by drying on it? What do you guys recommend?
wantsa2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you can use soapy water also.main thing is to use the clay bar with a lubricant.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
when i got my clay kit, it came with a detail spray (the small one). and i only used like half of it. and typically a regular bottle will last me like 5 details, of course i only clay bar like twice a year or so.

do you think you might be using to much detail spray?
I would stick with the spray if i where you.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
wantsa2ssrs

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Right, like car wash soap/water in a spray bottle would work then?

I just like to keep the vehicle really lubricated while I clay. (College kid, and I do this on the side for extra cash) For mine yea sure 2 bottles would do me for a single clay. But I do 2 cars a week and don't wanna spend all the profit on detail spray. I generally do trucks/SUV/fairly decent size family cars.
wantsa2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsa2ssrs View Post
What else do u guys use while claying your car? I can't afford to keep buying detail spray! I could go through 3 bottles on a single car! I hear u can mix water and car wash soap...will this work? will it hurt the car by drying on it? What do you guys recommend?
There is such a thing as over lubricating and it sounds like you might be a victim of that. You only need to spray enough to let the clay slide on the paint, if you over do it the clay can't make significant contact with the paint and you won't be getting the full usefulness of the claybar.

I can do a car the size of the camaro with about 4oz of spray or less. If you're literally burning thru 3 bottles in one shot you're WAY over doing it. Also keep in mind claying is something that you'll only do 2-3x a year MAX... more than that and you're probably doing too much. So if you figure 4oz per clay job... round up to 5 for margin... 3 times per year... 15oz of product... thats not even one full bottle to clay a car for the year.

Obviously with using it for pad priming, polish removal, and as a drying agent you'll go thru a lot, but thats where gallon refills come in handy!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
You're using too much if you go through 3 bottles.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You're using way too much. I clayed my entire car and only used 1/2 a bottle.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsa2ssrs View Post
Right, like car wash soap/water in a spray bottle would work then?

I just like to keep the vehicle really lubricated while I clay. (College kid, and I do this on the side for extra cash) For mine yea sure 2 bottles would do me for a single clay. But I do 2 cars a week and don't wanna spend all the profit on detail spray. I generally do trucks/SUV/fairly decent size family cars.
that will do just fine.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
There is such a thing as over lubricating and it sounds like you might be a victim of that. You only need to spray enough to let the clay slide on the paint, if you over do it the clay can't make significant contact with the paint and you won't be getting the full usefulness of the claybar.

I can do a car the size of the camaro with about 4oz of spray or less. If you're literally burning thru 3 bottles in one shot you're WAY over doing it. Also keep in mind claying is something that you'll only do 2-3x a year MAX... more than that and you're probably doing too much. So if you figure 4oz per clay job... round up to 5 for margin... 3 times per year... 15oz of product... thats not even one full bottle to clay a car for the year.

Obviously with using it for pad priming, polish removal, and as a drying agent you'll go thru a lot, but thats where gallon refills come in handy!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
I mix my own using an ONR (Optimum No Rinse) car wash. Here is a link for an example. And yes you are usung way to much. As long as the clay is not sticking to the surface and leaving clay marks you have enough lube.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I like ONR as a clay lube; as for washing cars, I just don't trust it.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I also use it to get around the door hinges and hard to reach places.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post

No i use it for claying as well. You can put in a couple of capfuls in with your regular car wash and it help with drying.
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
You are using way too much. Although it it possible to use a car wash soap/water mixture, it will degragate the clay bar so that it will not last as long. And clay being much more expensinve than Detail spray.
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote