Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
PC 7424xp and?

I am going to get a PC 7424xp to detail my car to the nth degree. What packages are best, not by price, but by product and pads? I have a few other questions also. I have read many different opinions and everyones works for them so it is gospel, with that said...I want opinions of weekend warrior detailers and pro's and what works best for you.

My car only has 2500 miles on it so it is still "new". It is summit white. I have read/heard/experienced white is harder to get a great shine (I usually have dark colored cars). What would you recommend for a great deep shine on white? I have read about do-do juice diamond white carnuba wax for white...Give me the low down on what I need to keep my car to a great finish.

I enjoy cleaning this car more than any other I have owned, so I want to make sure I have the right tools. It is a convertible also, so what do you recommend for the top? I have not done anything to it yet. I haven't even washed it, just rinsed it off and dried it. I also want something really good for the actual car wash. If you recommend Adams, great, but which one, everyone has so many different options. Thanks for the help.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
There are so many options out there (not just ours) that its silly. IMO the "Best" one is the one that you get and works for you. Generally its going to come down to what your wants/needs are for the process.

If you're going for outright show/shine then I'd suggest this from our line as your starting point:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-755-a...isher-kit.aspx

That gets you the tools to decontaminate the paint, remove any imperfections, then put on our most popular combo (brilliant glaze followed by Americana) for your final steps.

You are correct... white is generally difficult for 2 reasons:

1) Its hard to see the imperfections in the first place and you can't fix what you can't see. You'll also go "snow blind" staring at white paint for an afternoon LOL. I did a white 5th gen a few weeks back and I swear I was seeing spots for hours after I was done

2) "depth" just isn't a characteristic of white paint... you want to play up the strengths of your color which is keeping it clean and bright so it almost glows. Claying always has such a HUGE impact on white... of any one process you do to white I think claying has the most dramatic impact simply b/c pristine clean white is sharp.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
There are so many options out there (not just ours) that its silly. IMO the "Best" one is the one that you get and works for you. Generally its going to come down to what your wants/needs are for the process.

If you're going for outright show/shine then I'd suggest this from our line as your starting point:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-755-a...isher-kit.aspx

That gets you the tools to decontaminate the paint, remove any imperfections, then put on our most popular combo (brilliant glaze followed by Americana) for your final steps.

You are correct... white is generally difficult for 2 reasons:

1) Its hard to see the imperfections in the first place and you can't fix what you can't see. You'll also go "snow blind" staring at white paint for an afternoon LOL. I did a white 5th gen a few weeks back and I swear I was seeing spots for hours after I was done

2) "depth" just isn't a characteristic of white paint... you want to play up the strengths of your color which is keeping it clean and bright so it almost glows. Claying always has such a HUGE impact on white... of any one process you do to white I think claying has the most dramatic impact simply b/c pristine clean white is sharp.
When polishing white paint how can you determine if the product has "flashed". I am finding it very difficult to determine how long to work the product on white cars. Any suggestions?
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
I am going to get a PC 7424xp to detail my car to the nth degree. What packages are best, not by price, but by product and pads? I have a few other questions also. I have read many different opinions and everyones works for them so it is gospel, with that said...I want opinions of weekend warrior detailers and pro's and what works best for you.
Let’s see if I can offer some assistance.

Quote:
My car only has 2500 miles on it so it is still "new". It is summit white. I have read/heard/experienced white is harder to get a great shine (I usually have dark colored cars). What would you recommend for a great deep shine on white? I have read about do-do juice diamond white carnuba wax for white...Give me the low down on what I need to keep my car to a great finish.

Okay, here is the low down. The same process for creating a brilliant shine on white is IDENITCAL to creating a brilliant shine on black (or any other car) except for the very last step (applying your favorite wax, sealant, or combination of both.

However white and brighter colors will not reflect as much as darker colors so the results are not going to be as dramatic. That doesn’t mean you cannot achieve an amazing finish, it just means the reflectivity will be relative to the color of the car.

So what makes paint look great? It is really a combination of two things:
  • 1) Paint that is clean (not contamination on the clear coat so light can pass and reflect through it clearly).
  • 2) Paint that is perfectly smooth so that the light that is reflected is focused.
Swirl marks and scratches create a surface texture that causes reflected light to disperse. Paint that is polished smooth creates a focused, more brilliant reflection. Think of a pond on a breezy day (the water is pebbled looking and reflections are dim and murky) vs. the same pond on a still day when the paint reflects like ‘glass’.

Even before you pick the best wax, I would focus on the other steps of car care first
  1. Washing
  2. Cleaning
  3. Polishing
  4. Waxing
  5. Maintaining

Here is a good thread on Camaro5 to read: The 5 step guide to Paint Care

Washing is going to be the most important aspect of proper car care. This is because more damage is down during incorrect washing and drying then any other step. You will need 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, a soft wash media, and a quality drying towel (or two) at a minimum. I would also pick up a quick detail spray (compatible with whatever wax or sealant you choose).

Cleaning the paint is the step that gets your paint deep clean. This is usually done with detailing clay although we sell some chemical cleaners that will clean deep into the pores of the paint. Even paint that is ‘only 2500’ miles old is likely to have some contamination. BLACKFIRE Poly Clay Complete

Next is the most important step in car care (for shine and gloss). Polishing. We sell many easy to use systems that will work great with your Camaro and a Porter Cable 7242 XP to deliver awesome results. Here are some kits that will get you where you want to go.

BLACKFIRE Total Swirl Remover Kit- Kit includes: Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Dual Action, 5” Flex Backing Plate, 16 oz. Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound, 16 oz. Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish, 16 oz. Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection , 20 oz. Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray, 5.5 inch Hi-Gloss CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad, 5.5 inch Hi-Gloss CCS White Polishing Pad, 5.5 inch Hi-Gloss CCS Red Finessing Pad, 2 All Purpose Microfiber Towels (color may vary).

This is a great kit which includes everything you need (minus clay) to take you from paint polishing to final waxing using BLACKFIRE’s award winning line of car care products.

Optimum Porter Cable 7424 XP Kit- Includes Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher (including wrench and counterweight), 5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate, 8 oz. Optimum Compound II,
8 oz. Optimum Polish II, 8 oz. Optimum Poli-Seal, 6.5 inch CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad, 6.5 inch CCS White Polishing Pad, 6.5 inch CCS Gray Finishing Pad, 3 Microfiber Detailing Towels, 16 x 16 inches, 2 packs 3 oz. Detailer's Pro Series Polishing Pad Cleaner

This kit includes everything you need as well, and is extremely easy-to-use.

Meguiar’s G110v2 Ultra Polish Kit.- Includes Meguiars Dual Action 6 Inch Polisher G110v2, 6 inch backing plate, 5 inch backing plate Soft canvas storage bag, 32 oz. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound, 32 oz. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish, 3 CCS 5.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Foam Pads, 2 CCS 5.5 Inch Gray Finishing Foam Pads, 2 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloths, 16 x 16 inches

This would be the most professional of the three kits and is going to offer the most polishing power. However this kit doesn’t include any waxes or sealants, so you would have to add this additionally.

As far as choosing a wax or sealant, we all have our favorites. On white cars I would recommend either BLACKIRE Wet Diamond AFPP (which is going to give you are warm, rich look) or Duragloss TPP 105.

For a car wax you cannot go wrong with Dodo Juice Hard Candy or Diamond White. I also love the original PS21 Concours on light colored cars.

If you want, what I feel is the ultimate, in shine on any color, go with the BLACKFIRE Wet Ice over Fire combo kit. It includes the paint sealant and a high grade carnauba wax that works exceptionally well with an engineered synergistic effect to bring out the richness in all paint colors. It is a little more costly, but this is the same products I used when I detail cars for Pebble Beach.

Quote:
I enjoy cleaning this car more than any other I have owned, so I want to make sure I have the right tools. It is a convertible also, so what do you recommend for the top? I have not done anything to it yet. I haven't even washed it, just rinsed it off and dried it. I also want something really good for the actual car wash. If you recommend Adams, great, but which one, everyone has so many different options. Thanks for the help.

The very best products for convertiable tops I have ever seen (and I have used a lot) are made by RaggTopp. There top protectant will make water bead like crazy for months! Here is a link to their products: Ragg Topp
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
You've heard from the best of the best here on this forum. Dylan and Todd are 5th degree detailers!

Suggestion for white owners and opinion from the pro's: would a pop up tent with a dark top help ease the eye strain and help to see the damage better? We had a detailing party last weekend at my house and i have 12 x12 pop up with a light grey underside that really helped me, but the cars were dark. ( I hope to get some shots up of the party later this week)
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
When polishing white paint how can you determine if the product has "flashed". I am finding it very difficult to determine how long to work the product on white cars. Any suggestions?
Thats a big part of the challenge with white... where black shows EVERYTHING its easy to correct at least b/c you can indeed see everything. My best advice to you -

Practice on a darker color to get a general idea of the work time of the products you're using.

Get yourself a good lighting kit (dual head 500w halogens) playing with your lighting will allow you to see things on white, the hardest part is getting that light configuration figured out.

For me personally I set 1 light directly at the surface I'm working at the 'low' setting, then point the other one directly up on the high setting to bounce some light around the garage.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Roll_the_Dice

Thanks guys...I will read the thread on paint care. On the carnuba wax do you guys do it by hand or use the machine? Are some things better to put on by hand versus the machine? I am scared of the vinyl stripe other than washing and then using my detail spray and a MF cloth...can it be polished/waxed by hand or is that a bad thing?

I am going to get the 7424xp, I just need to get the best deal.
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Thanks guys...I will read the thread on paint care. On the carnuba wax do you guys do it by hand or use the machine?
You can go either way... as far as benefits there are none really when it comes to applying as far as the performance of the product goes. Some people prefer to wax by machine to save time, personally I like to do that last step by hand. Either way, there is no right or wrong on this.

Quote:
Are some things better to put on by hand versus the machine?
Not necessarily, but when it comes to polishing/paint correction it takes a machine to really make any meaningful impact on the paint. As I usually tell people the best you can hope for by hand is an improvement to the paint, by machine its reasonable to expect perfection or at least close to it.

Quote:
I am scared of the vinyl stripe other than washing and then using my detail spray and a MF cloth...can it be polished/waxed by hand or is that a bad thing?
Check out this thread... it covers all the basics of vinyl stripe care and I've even added information provided directly by the manufactures of the raw materials.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151434

The cliff notes:
  • No aggressive polishing or abrasives
  • Gloss stripes can be waxed, matte stripes cannot.
  • Clean with soap/water or detail spray/waterless wash
  • Dress matte stripes with a water based low gloss dressing for protection as needed.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Roll_the_Dice

Thanks Dylan...great stuff on the stripe maintenance!
1999 Ford F150 (sold)