Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Car rims and truck rims....

So my car is in te shop having GFX and new Bumblebee stripes installed and Its time to start looking for rims, I have a 1LT. It has factory 19's on now but they must go. how large can I go without running into any problems or going ghetto. 20's 22's? Also I LOVE the look of the 3 rims below but 1 problem is they are all Truck rims, is this a problem? is there the same amount of lugs in truck and car rims? why are truck rims so much nicer then car rims! Anyway forgive me if any of the questions come off as stupid..
Attached Images

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Most truck WHEELS have 6 or more lugs plus the hub is larger. I am not saying you CANT fint a set the will bolt up but they will look silly.

My S-10 has Trans Am wheels on it. Its a beater truck and they were on it when I got it. I don't care for them but eh, like I said, its a beater. the smaller trucks wheels may work but not a full size truck...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Might as well install a lift kit and light bar too! Go all out bud.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
JBuzzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Might as well install a lift kit and light bar too! Go all out bud.
ok, ok... Thats why I asked the question and stated I like the look of the rims and wanted to know the difference. I wont be doing any 4 wheeling or going on the beach so the use of lifts and Mickey Thompsons wont be necessary

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I say anything 22" and higher is cardonkadonk.

Those rims pictured...

-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuzzy11 View Post
ok, ok... Thats why I asked the question and stated I like the look of the rims and wanted to know the difference. I wont be doing any 4 wheeling or going on the beach so the use of lifts and Mickey Thompsons wont be necessary
Just ribbin' ya.

It is okay to like a wheel style, but you really need to think about how that wheel style matches the vehicle you are putting them on. I like hundreds of wheel styles, but I also know that certain wheels do not match the vehicle I'm customizing. Every car, and sometimes even colors of cars, will have a few perfect looking sets of wheels that compliment the body lines, era, attitude, etc.. of a vehicle. You can't simply pick out wheel styles that you like, and slap them on a car you like, and think they will match. It is a combination that requires some thought.

For example, you might like business suits for special occasions. You also might like flip-flops a whole lot. Doesn't mean you should put them together

Take a read here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78564

Tony
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
JBuzzy11

I know you were kidding, Im always up for a good laugh.. Im looking for new rims I have a 2010 1LT, im looking to keep my tires and just get new rims the car came with 19" but im not sure if all 19" are the same?? how do I figure this out?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Truck wheels have diffrent offsets. And like 9ball said, you have to atleast try and match the look of the wheels to the car. If you were to put those wheels pictured above on your car, they would stick out about a foot past the fender.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
I agree with Tony on his comments regarding style matching the car. With that said, there are a couple of factors that you need to make sure you pay attention to when upgrading the wheels.

most importantly is lug pattern, a lot of "truck specific" wheels are truck specific because they have a 6 or 8 lug pattern which VERY few cars ever had.

Second is offset. Cars that are 2WD will commonly have different offset wheels front to rear. If you find a set of wheels you like, be sure that they have offsets that work with the OEM camaro offset range.

Third thing is certainly overall size. I think there are plenty of people running 22's even with our lowering springs etc, but I would do some research beforehand to find out if anyone else has your set up that you are looking at, and if they are running it successfully.

The fourth is weight. If something is being sold as a trucek wheel, in my mind (and opinion) it will be kinda beefy, and bulletproof to be installed on a vehicle that weights 4 tons or so. The camaro only weighs 2 tons appx. The hypothetical added wheel weight (if at all) will cause your suspension, and especially braking systems to work harder for no functional gain. This can cause brake pads and ball joints etc to wear at a slightly higher rate than normal. Just a thought to consider.

Hope some of that helped!

-Blair
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
JBuzzy11

wow, thanks for all the info guys.