Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Check engine light on... thoughts on a couple questions

Was going to drive the ZL1 to work today instead of the daily fuel sipper, but the CEL came on when I started it up. Decided I'd let it sit and drive the daily. Thought about what could be wrong, I had just recently got gas, so maybe the fuel cap wasn't on tight. It did click once when I tried to tighten it, so I thought maybe that was the issue. I decided to take the cap off completely and then back on to make sure.

Drove it for about 12 miles tonight. Light never went off. A couple times when sitting at the stop light the idle went up and down maybe 100 rpm. Maybe that's normal, I don't usually pay that close attention to the tach when sitting at a light.

First question: How long does it normally take for a CEL for the fuel cap to clear itself? I might drive it to work tomorrow to see if it goes off during the 20 mile drive. There's a dealer near work that I could take it to if I have to.

Second question: the only mode I have is a catch can. Most of us have probably seen the horror story of the 1LE owner who's warranty was blocked due to his catch can. While this seems like a one in a million story, and there doesn't seem to be any oil-related issue with my car, it has me a bit hesitant to go directly to the dealer. Thoughts on taking it to Autozone to have them read the code instead? Is there anything special about the ZL1 that Autozone would have trouble with? At least if it was something other than the fuel cap I could then decide if I wanted to remove the catch can before heading to the dealer.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
insanity213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd get the code read at AZ or something before going to the dealer. If you have oil pressure, voltage from your alt and it's not overheating I'd just drive it to AZ. I think it'll take at least a few drive cycles to get the light to go out on it's own. You could always try disconnecting the negative terminal for a little bit.
insanity213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity213 View Post
I'd get the code read at AZ or something before going to the dealer. If you have oil pressure, voltage from your alt and it's not overheating I'd just drive it to AZ. I think it'll take at least a few drive cycles to get the light to go out on it's own. You could always try disconnecting the negative terminal for a little bit.
Better yet, get your own code reader. Autozone will be happy to sell you one. The cheaper ones that basically only read codes and erase them are around $40 +/-. From there units can give varying degrees of information. Then there is always the Tech II that dealerships use, for about the same price as a new set of wheels and tires.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
mcb1

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Better yet, get your own code reader.
I purchased a ELM327 USB scanner from ebay for AUD$12.
It works great on the Camaro and other cars.

Mine had thrown a CEL for lean both banks.
No particular reason why. Cleared it and it never came back.

You can get Bluetooth versions that link to an app on your phone as well.

Search for ELM327 and you'll find lots of choice.

Mark
mcb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
The code was for P0449 - evap system. I had them clear it thinking it was related to the gas cap, but it came back on after about 10 miles. Going to schedule an appointment at the dealer now.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
You're most likely going to put an evap vent solenoid in. Its a circuit code.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote