Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / Ducati 1198s
i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
This is a lie
Yup big lie because I am the shipping supervisor where I work and its always OUR responsibilty to make sure customer gets their product and then we deal with UPS or whoever the carrier is but then again i guess not everyone handles certain problems like you or myself would of
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
First off, I am not the vendor he bought from (I have no clue who it is either)...but I do want to provide a vender perspective here.

This is not a case of bad customer service IMO. Selling stuff online is risky. Matter of fact, way riskier than buying online as a customer. Running an online business, I get scammed more in a month an most people get in a year. It's just a reality of doing business.

In this scenerio, here is how this works.

When a package disappears, we have to file a tracer with UPS. Now obviously the package did not vaporize. It could be misrouted, in the lost and found, whatever. UPS takes about 10 business days to complete a tracer. During this time, they send the driver out to look for the part/retrace his steps, check their computers systems, lost and found, whatever. At the end of this process, they either find the package, or they verify it is lost, and you can file an insurance claim. Really about half the time it seems they find the package for us.

Now the reason the vendor likely does not want to send you a new one off the bat is because UPS very well could find the original one during the tracer. If UPS finds the original one, they will deliver it to the customer automaticlly and close the case. In the past, I have shipped replacements on packages that appeared lost only to have UPS find the original and deliver it to the customer. Then the customer has two packages, and I am stuck paying to pick up the second one I shipped trying to do the right thing. Worse, I have also had the customers suddenly became "unreachable" once they got both parts and and basically steal one from us.

What we do now is give the customer the option. Basically, if you don't want to wait for the tracer to be complete, we will ship a new one, but you will have to pay for the return shipping on the original if UPS finds it and delivers it (leaving you with two). Nomally we will get a credit card to keep on file in this case, and temp auth the cost of return shipping at minimum. This also allows us to bill the customer if UPS deliveres the original and they try and keep both. Unfortunatly, as a vendor, I have no control over UPS or Fed Ex losing packages. If you want the part immediatly, I will give you the option, but I cannot bear all the risk/cost of that.
Maryland Speed,

I appreciate your knowledge about this BUT, the risks you talk about is all part of doing business, this is why we have insurance. I have dealt a few times with UPS and Fed Ex concerning lost shipments and you are correct about the tracker, but in my business I would not put the burden on the customer. I tell UPS, Fed Ex or whomever that if they do find it to send it back to me because I am sending out a replacement so that the customer isn't put out. The account manager can authorize this and usually does to keep the CUSTOMER happy.

I spent 11.5 million dollars last year between Fed Ex, UPS and other LTL carriers shipping items world wide. On 5 occassions things got lost and we sent a replacement out once contacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
Yup big lie because I am the shipping supervisor where I work and its always OUR responsibilty to make sure customer gets their product and then we deal with UPS or whoever the carrier is but then again i guess not everyone handles certain problems like you or myself would of
Amen Brother, Now who is it?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
leonardo

Quote:
First off, I am not the vendor he bought from (I have no clue who it is either)...but I do want to provide a vender perspective here.

This is not a case of bad customer service IMO. Selling stuff online is risky. Matter of fact, way riskier than buying online as a customer. Running an online business, I get scammed more in a month an most people get in a year. It's just a reality of doing business.

In this scenerio, here is how this works.

When a package disappears, we have to file a tracer with UPS. Now obviously the package did not vaporize. It could be misrouted, in the lost and found, whatever. UPS takes about 10 business days to complete a tracer. During this time, they send the driver out to look for the part/retrace his steps, check their computers systems, lost and found, whatever. At the end of this process, they either find the package, or they verify it is lost, and you can file an insurance claim. Really about half the time it seems they find the package for us.

Now the reason the vendor likely does not want to send you a new one off the bat is because UPS very well could find the original one during the tracer. If UPS finds the original one, they will deliver it to the customer automaticlly and close the case. In the past, I have shipped replacements on packages that appeared lost only to have UPS find the original and deliver it to the customer. Then the customer has two packages, and I am stuck paying to pick up the second one I shipped trying to do the right thing. Worse, I have also had the customers suddenly became "unreachable" once they got both parts and and basically steal one from us.

What we do now is give the customer the option. Basically, if you don't want to wait for the tracer to be complete, we will ship a new one, but you will have to pay for the return shipping on the original if UPS finds it and delivers it (leaving you with two). Nomally we will get a credit card to keep on file in this case, and temp auth the cost of return shipping at minimum. This also allows us to bill the customer if UPS deliveres the original and they try and keep both. Unfortunatly, as a vendor, I have no control over UPS or Fed Ex losing packages. If you want the part immediatly, I will give you the option, but I cannot bear all the risk/cost of that.
Actually no you wouldnt have to incur the cost for 2 items because one of them would of been refunded by UPS under their claims department, once they deem it lost weather they delivered it or not if you have paperwork saying they are deeming it lost then by law they are obligated to refund the shipper the money. I am the Logistics Coordinator thats what I do for a living so I know a thing or two when it comes to dealing with shipping and receiving. Its always nice to hear what vendors outlook is though
Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
leonardo

well

Quote:
Maryland Speed,

I appreciate your knowledge about this BUT, the risks you talk about is all part of doing business, this is why we have insurance. I have dealt a few times with UPS and Fed Ex concerning lost shipments and you are correct about the tracker, but in my business I would not put the burden on the customer. I tell UPS, Fed Ex or whomever that if they do find it to send it back to me because I am sending out a replacement so that the customer isn't put out. The account manager can authorize this and usually does to keep the CUSTOMER happy.

I spent 11.5 million dollars last year between Fed Ex, UPS and other LTL carriers shipping items world wide. On 5 occassions things got lost and we sent a replacement out once contacted.

Brother we think exactly alike !!

Amen Brother, Now who is it?
I will tell you in private message if youd like
Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
I will tell you in private message if youd like
Please
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Maryland Speed,

In my experiance, everytime UPS finds a package, they immediatly deliver it. Often it is delivered before they tell me they found it. Lets look at this in very simplistic terms. The reality is, insurance does not kick in untill it is verified as lost. It is not verified as lost until the tracer is complete. It is a risk to send the package out and assume it is lost before UPS completes the investigation. As I said, seems for us, UPS finds the package half the time. Often them finding the package takes less time then sending a replacement.

Maybe in a company that spends 11 million on shipping, your big enough to not care. However I think most vendors here, have to sweat the details, pay attention to fraud, and avoid sending stuff out needlessly.

Now again, before I seem like big meanie vendor here. As stated, I will send out a replacement immediatly (before UPS verifies the package as lost) as long as the customer agrees to pay return shipping if UPS finds the original and delivers it. I think that is a fair request.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Quote:
Actually no you wouldnt have to incur the cost for 2 items because one of them would of been refunded by UPS under their claims department, once they deem it lost weather they delivered it or not if you have paperwork saying they are deeming it lost then by law they are obligated to refund the shipper the money. I am the Logistics Coordinator thats what I do for a living so I know a thing or two when it comes to dealing with shipping and receiving. Its always nice to hear what vendors outlook is though
I think you misunderstood. If a package is reported lost, USP does a tracer. It is not considered lost, and eligible for insurance claim untill UPS closes the tracer (takes about two weeks). During the tracer, they send the driver out to retrace his steps, check their lost in founds, and so forth. Also I think part of the reason the tracer takes so long is that they kind of hope it turns up somewhere in two weeks. When UPS is doing a tracer, if they happen to find the original package, they will deliver it and close the tracer. Most of time the customer gets the package before I get notification it was even found. When they find it, there is no insurance payment or anything. As far as they are concerned, you sent a package, and while there was hiccup, they delivered it. So if I send out a new one before the tracer is complete (assuming the original is lost before the tracer verifies it) then yes, the customer ends up with two and I am on the hook for both. Best case, I get to eat the initial and return shipping cost on the second package. Worst case, customer falls off the planet, and I am stuck eating the whole thing including replacement. This is rare..but that does not mean you ignore it.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
In my experiance, everytime UPS finds a package, they immediatly deliver it. Often it is delivered before they tell me they found it. Lets look at this in very simplistic terms. The reality is, insurance does not kick in untill it is verified as lost. It is not verified as lost until the tracer is complete. It is a risk to send the package out and assume it is lost before UPS completes the investigation. As I said, seems for us, UPS finds the package half the time. Often them finding the package takes less time then sending a replacement.

Maybe in a company that spends 11 million on shipping, your big enough to not care. However I think most vendors here, have to sweat the details, pay attention to fraud, and avoid sending stuff out needlessly.
Now again, before I seem like big meanie vendor here. As stated, I will send out a replacement immediatly (before UPS verifies the package as lost) as long as the customer agrees to pay return shipping if UPS finds the original and delivers it. I think that is a fair request.

I am in no way trying to dog you and if you feel that way please believe me that is not my purpose.

Normally what I do is contact the Account Manager for my area before I send 1 product out and get the terms in writing and have a mutual understanding with the acount manager before I conduct ANY business with them.

My business changed from Full truckloads to LTL and little shipments and like I said only 5 times have the lost or damaged things.

You see to me the customer is more important than anything. The vendor he is talking about has made a TON of money on this forum and like leonard most do not want to come on here and say negative things about someone, like the old addage "if you dont have something nice to say then don't say anything"

Well that is fine but other take a screwing and you could have prevented it by stepping up and saying something.

In today's market shipping companies are dying for business so the consumer ( those of us who ship ) have alot of leaverage. Trust me if UPS keeps losing thing will you continue to use them, I highly doubt it, neither would I.

I guess if your company is smaller and wants to be bigger then you must take care of the customer. As they say 10000 at a boy's is messed up by one oh shit. JMO
Old 09-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #23
leonardo

nope

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. If a package is reported lost, USP does a tracer. It is not considered lost, and eligible for insurance claim untill UPS closes the tracer (takes about two weeks). During the tracer, they send the driver out to retrace his steps, check their lost in founds, and so forth. Also I think part of the reason the tracer takes so long is that they kind of hope it turns up somewhere in two weeks. When UPS is doing a tracer, if they happen to find the original package, they will deliver it and close the tracer. Most of time the customer gets the package before I get notification it was even found. When they find it, there is no insurance payment or anything. As far as they are concerned, you sent a package, and while there was hiccup, they delivered it. So if I send out a new one before the tracer is complete (assuming the original is lost before the tracer verifies it) then yes, the customer ends up with two and I am on the hook for both. Best case, I get to eat the initial and return shipping cost on the second package. Worst case, customer falls off the planet, and I am stuck eating the whole thing including replacement. This is rare..but that does not mean you ignore it.
Oh no I understood completly and trust me If I was given the option to just pay the shipping if the other intake would have arrived I would of totally done it because after all I had got the intake at a great group buy deal, but that was never an option, I was told to deal with it because thats just the way it is ..... read email response above and you would see that. Like I said im not about bashing vendors because business is business and stuff happens but come on as a vendor do you feel this was handled appropriately ?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
leonardo

Quote:
I am in no way trying to dog you and if you feel that way please believe me that is not my purpose.

Normally what I do is contact the Account Manager for my area before I send 1 product out and get the terms in writing and have a mutual understanding with the acount manager before I conduct ANY business with them.

My business changed from Full truckloads to LTL and little shipments and like I said only 5 times have the lost or damaged things.

You see to me the customer is more important than anything. The vendor he is talking about has made a TON of money on this forum and like leonardo most do not want to come on here and say negative things about someone, like the old addage "if you dont have something nice to sat then don't say anything"

Well that is fine but other take a screwing and you could have prevented it by stepping up and saying something.

In today's market shipping companies are dying for business so the consumer ( those of us who ship ) have alot of leaverage. Trust me ifUPS keeps losing thing will you continue to use them, I highly doubt it, neither would I.

I guess if you company is small and wants to be big then you must take care of the customer. As they say 10000 at a boy's is messed up by one oh shit. JMO
Exactly my momma taught me better but hes right this vendor is huge here in C5 so thats the only reason I dont want to put his business on blast because they are one of C5 supporters and out of respect for C5 I wont do it, I just wanted to share my experience with others to see if maybe I was being over dramatic or if I had a valid point and turns out there are still good people with values out there like Dr Jkel

Last edited by leonardo; 09-30-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: ..
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #25
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
I was told to deal with it because thats just the way it is ..... .
Yeah, that is just unacceptable. I am actually very shocked that you were told this by this particular vendor. At the very least they should have seen if you could wait a few days to see if it shows up because usually it will. If not, then they could get another out to you and get their money back later from UPS.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
leonardo

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Yeah, that is just unacceptable. I am actually very shocked that you were told this by this particular vendor. At the very least they should have seen if you could wait a few days to see if it shows up because usually it will. If not, then they could get another out to you and get their money back later from UPS.
Oh trust me I know I too was shocked because so many C5 memebers praised this vendor so I figured well hey if all my buddies never had an issue then Im confident to buy, but I guess they didnt have any issues and thats the only things went so smooth, a business true values show when problems arise and how they handle it with the customer not on volume or prices, just my .02
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Exactly my momma taught me better but hes right this vendor is huge here in C5 so thats the only reason I dont want to put his business on blast because they are one of C5 supporters and out of respect for C5 I wont do it, I just wanted to share my experience with others to see if maybe I was being over dramatic or if I had a valid point and turns out there are still good people with values out there like Dr Jkel
Preciate that

Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #28
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

I don't know of any shipping company that just puts in writing they will approve lost package claims without investigating. However if you have only handled 5 lost package claims that seems strange anyway. While busy, we are not spending $11 million a year in shipping..yet I seem to deal with 1-2 of these claims a month with UPS. While I strive to provide the best customer service possible (as our reputation here shows), I am also trying to let customers know that there are other things going on here.

I think most of these situations can be avoided with communication. I mean whenever there is an issue as a company I try and start off with "I'm sorry for the issue" and listen to and understand the customer. Explaination and compromise can save a lot of blood pressure raising issues. Al people want to know is you are doing everything to get them what they paid for.

Quote:

You see to me the customer is more important than anything. The vendor he is talking about has made a TON of money on this forum and like leonard most do not want to come on here and say negative things about someone, like the old addage "if you dont have something nice to say then don't say anything"

In today's market shipping companies are dying for business so the consumer ( those of us who ship ) have alot of leaverage. Trust me if UPS keeps losing thing will you continue to use them, I highly doubt it, neither would I.

I guess if your company is smaller and wants to be bigger then you must take care of the customer. As they say 10000 at a boy's is messed up by one oh shit. JMO

Closed Thread