Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #85
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrimah View Post
how did you like them
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #86
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I thought the rear bumber would be the same also but the lights did not fit and broke off the ends really easy. Hope they take them off their web site for the 2013 ZL1. I can't believe I'm the only one that tried these bulbs and had problems?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #87
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I apologize for the inconvenience to you OverPar73,

We are getting a ZL1 in for testing very soon, and didn't realize the fitment would be different between a ZL1 and SS.

We haven't had issues with any other model aside from the ZL1

-Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #88
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I apologize for the inconvenience to you OverPar73,

We are getting a ZL1 in for testing very soon, and didn't realize the fitment would be different between a ZL1 and SS.

We haven't had issues with any other model aside from the ZL1

-Nick C.
That sounds like good customer service. Im still not entirely convinced that the ZL1 harness/socket and SS harness/socket are different.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #89
JCunningham

I just looked the part numbers up at GM Parts direct and both the SS and ZL1 have the same part numbers for the back up light housings and bulbs.
92243668 left LAMP
10351677 bulb
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #90
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
I finally installed the 42 SMD bulbs I purchased back in May: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190689208491...84.m1438.l2648

However, the color seems to be off. The left one is a bit more blue while the right one is a bit more yellow. You can see it slightly in the following picture (iPhone picture at night; not great quality), but it is more noticeable in person:
Attached Images

Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #91
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
The more I read the more confused I am. What bulb is used for the back up lamps???

Most here reference the wedge style base 168/194 so I assumed that is what's used.

JCunningham mentioned 10351677 which looks like this
Name:  bulb.JPG
Views: 1387
Size:  30.1 KB
Doesn't look like a wedge base to me.

At the beginning of the thread someone shows how to cobble something together with silicone, I suspect to fit the strange base pictured.

Then to add to the confusion I looked up the bulb on the Sylvania site and they list something else.

I would just take out the bulb and check if I didn't have to take the rear end of the car off!

I could care less how the bulb "looks", I just want something bright enough that the back up camera actually shows something useful at night. Right now I think I get more light out of my brake lights than the back up lights.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
JCunningham

the reverse bulb you have pictured is the bulb in your car. What you do is remove the glass part and then take a 194 led bulb and remove its base. then you can put the 194 bulb into the stock bulbs base (with a little modding) and use silicone to keep it together.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #93
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
the reverse bulb you have pictured is the bulb in your car. What you do is remove the glass part and then take a 194 led bulb and remove its base. then you can put the 194 bulb into the stock bulbs base (with a little modding) and use silicone to keep it together.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. If the bulb was more accessible I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I really didn't want to cobble something together for this. I guess it beats backing into something because I can't see.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #94
JCunningham

well I put a good led 194 bulb in mine and they are still useless. Id get the Diode Dynamics one. my cars put up for the winter.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #95
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
well I put a good led 194 bulb in mine and they are still useless. Id get the Diode Dynamics one. my cars put up for the winter.
I'll definitely save myself the trouble then.

Mine is a DD and from my experience anything cobbled together doesn't tend to hold up too well to years of subzero temps and Detroit potholes.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #96
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I find it odd that the 2013 ZL1 would have different reverse lights than other Camaros. I know the rear diffuser is different, but I thought the rest of the bumper, including the reverse lights, was standard across the model lineup.
Not too surprising after what I saw. I modified my window switches to have a red LED on my SS. When I bought my ZL1, I wanted to have the red ones in there instead. I swapped them but the window control circuit was different. Would not work so I had to replace the LED in my ZL1 too.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #97
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
so what's the verdict here? anyone? my garage is dark as hell and pulling into it at night, I can't see a thing with the stock bulbs. need something a bit brighter. so far we have the CREE 194 projector style, the 25 or 42 LED bulbs and the DiodeDynamics bulb. what's the best solution?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #98
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
so what's the verdict here? anyone? my garage is dark as hell and pulling into it at night, I can't see a thing with the stock bulbs. need something a bit brighter. so far we have the CREE 194 projector style, the 25 or 42 LED bulbs and the DiodeDynamics bulb. what's the best solution?
If you're looking for the brightest, then your best choice is the Oracle SMD LED Camaro Reverse Lights. They replace the whole assembly and you can find them the cheapest at SouthWest Speed: http://southwestspeed.net/products/o...iant=941911363

The next brightest seem to be the Diode Dynamics Camaro Backup LEDS, which only replace the Bulbs. However, they are plug-n-play.

The next brightest might be the High Power CREE LED Projectors.

The SMD LEDs are more for cosmetic purposes. They will replace the yellowish halogen bulbs with White LEDs (w/ a slight bluish hue), which are not much brighter but look way better.

Last edited by Klepton; 09-08-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Updated SouthWest Speed link
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote