Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
I wouldnt personally do what you’re suggesting to a Z/28. I can however say the car has been torture tested, roads, winter, and all. It can be done in current form. Slap some sottozeros on and call it a day.
That said, sure, its a rough ride on some roads and some are more sensitive to it. Thus, id ditch it get a more friendly ride to your needs.
Ive driven mine all over, in all climates, no complaints but toleration is different for everyone.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
X77-69z28

Drives: 69 Z/28, 70 Z28, 99SS, 15 Z/28 2018
I would not mod the Z. I bought a Jeep Trackhawk as a daily driver. That’s a lot of fun!
99 SS hugger orange 6spd no t-tops 1 of 54
15 Z/28 white AC, radio
X77-69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #17
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I’ll throw in my DD as well, 2011 Mini Cooper John Cooper Works. Fast, fun little car. Especially on coil overs. Have 2 sets of wheels, one with potenza RE for the summer. And the other with Blizzak for the winter. Snows a few inches here and it never has a problem. Ride is a little stiff but nothing like the Z.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:15 AM   #18
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
The 14/15 Z28 is one of the most purpose-built cars ever made by the big three. If the sacrifices required aren't gladly made for the pleasure of driving a performance machine of it's caliber then it is the wrong vehicle.

Very few people tour on a sport bike but no one moves the rearsets forward and puts bars on it so they can tour in comfort. They sell it and buy a touring bike. In both instances there are many good choices.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:33 AM   #19
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I say it's your car and ultimately it's your decision to make. If you want to modify YOUR car for yourself then do it. I don't see what the big deal is. If you really like the car and if it's paid off why can't you do what you want with your own car? Isn't this the reason we buy these 5th gens in the first place?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #20
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Not arguing with you but I haven't seen too many other owners say this? Is there something I'm missing?
I know plenty that find the ride good enough for a DD. I also know a number of them that don't...those guys are sissies rofl.
Seriously though, they are a ride that isn't for everyone, but for anyone who likes the feel of them and the road, its perfect.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #21
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I know plenty that find the ride good enough for a DD. I also know a number of them that don't...those guys are sissies rofl.
Seriously though, they are a ride that isn't for everyone, but for anyone who likes the feel of them and the road, its perfect.
Depends on your state, some are nothing but potholes

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #22
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
Depends on your state, some are nothing but potholes
Totally Agree.

I'm in NYC. This is definitely not an every day driver here. The scarce numbers and overall rarity of this car would not make a daily driver in any part of the country (just my opinion).
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #23
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneRoss View Post
Totally Agree.

I'm in NYC. This is definitely not an every day driver here. The scarce numbers and overall rarity of this car would not make a daily driver in any part of the country (just my opinion).
If you aint gonna drive it though, you've got a paperweight
I wouldn't drive it in the winter though, but we don't have those in FL (or in TX where I'm from originally lol).
Old 07-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #24
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
If you aint gonna drive it though, you've got a paperweight
Not necessarily. You don't need to put your Z/28 through the rigors of DD to get your money's worth out of it. I enjoy late night therapy runs once or twice a week and of course I'm attempting to Auto X. Maybe I'm guilty (and others are also) of putting these cars too high on a pedestal but as mentioned these vehicles are just too low of production numbers to put them at risk of damage from OTHER drivers. I'm sure some people would have no problem daily driving an L88 Vette, Shelby Mustang or Hemi Cuda but over the years we see how special those vehicles have become. It's up for (heated) debate if the Z will reach that status but I like to treat mine like the rare "collectable" I believe it will become. Luckily I've got a nice Camaro for back and forth to work duties. Just my opinion, obviously and you folks that want to track, DD and MOD your Zs more power to you.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #25
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Not necessarily. You don't need to put your Z/28 through the rigors of DD to get your money's worth out of it. I enjoy late night therapy runs once or twice a week and of course I'm attempting to Auto X. Maybe I'm guilty (and others are also) of putting these cars too high on a pedestal but as mentioned these vehicles are just too low of production numbers to put them at risk of damage from OTHER drivers. I'm sure some people would have no problem daily driving an L88 Vette, Shelby Mustang or Hemi Cuda but over the years we see how special those vehicles have become. It's up for (heated) debate if the Z will reach that status but I like to treat mine like the rare "collectable" I believe it will become. Luckily I've got a nice Camaro for back and forth to work duties. Just my opinion, obviously and you folks that want to track, DD and MOD your Zs more power to you.
For me, daily driving means 10 miles or less per day on average. I think I've put 2900 miles on her in about 10 months or so, and that constitutes the bulk of my driving (I put less on my Suburban). I don't tend to drive the Z in the rain though. I have mine on a super high pedestal, but I don't track it, and I damn sure ain't gonna let it sit there doing nothing lol. I bought it to drive it, because I've never found a car that "suits me" as well as the Z Its why I went back to a 2nd and ditched the 6th gen ZL1 (ditched a 6th gen SS for my 1st Z/28 too lol).
I figure if it gets wrecked, that will suck, but the insurance payout should basically get me another. I can't promise I won't beat the piss out of whoever ran into me though if they did something stupid and it wasn't truly an accident.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #26
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
I just came up with another idea. I am going to retire in 2 years. If I can hold out until then I can use the Z as a DD and only put very few miles on it. In winer I can use the snow tires and make sure I have plenty of food stored away at home so I can wait until the roads are perfectly clear before I go anywhere. Or spend the entire winter in the house and never go anywhere. I can have my food and grocerys delivered.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 PM   #27
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I enjoy late night therapy runs once or twice a week
I miss AZ. Many, many miles on bikes a decade ago. Of course you have to get out of the greater Phoenix area but public roads can feel like a private track during the week. Your a lucky man!
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #28
aris

Drives: Z/28
You can do whatever you want, but the mods you're describing would unquestionably ruin the car. My opinion: just get the 1SS and leave the Z/28 alone.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote