Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #29
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
Basically in the class of a COPO
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW1990 View Post
I daily a 2016 Charger R/T which is missing all the bells and whistles when it comes to the suspension, but I didn't buy that car to go flying around turns. It is not a 1+ G car nor is it intended to be. I bought it to be reliable and to get up and go if I needed to merge or pass and it does it flawlessly. I agree, they aren't cornering machines, but they AREN'T track vehicles, they are for typical travel.

I kinda differ on the Viper not being more than a track car though. It may not be as comfortable to some in the cabin, but that's what you get for a car with super stiff suspensions with crazy skid pad results. If it was soft, it'd break free early like non track vehicles. But, 0-60 in 3.2-3 seconds and 1/4 mile of 11.4-5 is by no means useless at a dragstrip. That's stock, no slicks/radials, and naturally aspirated. Oh yeah, and only 650 base HP. Give me! Lol

I'm hoping to have my Charger sold soon as I'm looking at getting a 2012 ZL1 with 2k miles. Gotta love some blown LS stuff!
Yeah we're definitely not talking about R/Ts here
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #31
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
So this car is Dodge's answer to the COPO and Cobra Jet with a cool "drive it to the track" twist?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #32
NVERL8TE

Drives: 1967 Camaro BBC, 2014 Camaro ZL1
Anyone can mod a car for top performance but for a manufacturer to built a car such as the Demon and stand behind it with a full factory warranty is nothing short of amazing.
NVERL8TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #33
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW1990 View Post
Dodge actually has the best turning car out there, it's called a Viper. I stopped count at like 13 track records broken from a factory production car, completely stock, that outdid every super car in a few years of production. If you don't believe that, well a quick search will change your mind.
Not anymore

Nürburgring Lap Time

Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
7:12.13

2015 Z06 Vette
6:59.13
Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #34
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8TE View Post
Anyone can mod a car for top performance but for a manufacturer to built a car such as the Demon and stand behind it with a full factory warranty is nothing short of amazing.
x2... Thats pretty incredible that they are building a mid 9 second car from the factory that is fully street legal with a warranty...Talk about setting the bar high..yikes.

Im a Chevy guy through and through, but Dodge just hit this one way outta the park for us street/strip guys...There is no reason to hate this car. Dodge isnt trying to make it something its not, its a street/strip car, thats it pure and simple... You have to give it the respect it deserves. Nothing from any factory right now is capable of running 9s @140 off the showroom floor with a warranty.

Not everyone tracks their car at road courses, so being able to pull 1g around a corner doesnt matter. This is whats great about America, theres something for everyone... I wish Chevy would make something like this.

The issue I do have with the Demon is the fact that John Q public wont be able to race the car to it fullest potential. 9.99 and under or over 135mph requires a certified cage and a NHRA competition drivers licence that most people wouldnt have and would be kicked off the track after 1 pass. Really cool car to have but at 90k most hardcore drag racers have a dedicated drag car that goes faster and costs less.
2014- Crystal Red-ZL1 #1601, M6, Recaro, sunroof, Nav-stock-SOLD
1968 Camaro SS Clone- 496 BBC, Legend 5speed, 12 bolt
1970 Nova SS- 383 SBC 588hp, 200-4r, 12 bolt

Last edited by AJensen383; 04-13-2017 at 08:39 PM.
AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #35
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post
x2... Thats pretty incredible that they are building a mid 9 second car from the factory that is fully street legal with a warranty...Talk about setting the bar high..yikes.

Im a Chevy guy through and through, but Dodge just hit this one way outta the park for us street/strip guys...There is no reason to hate this car. Dodge isnt trying to make it something its not, its a street/strip car, thats it pure and simple... You have to give it the respect it deserves. Nothing from any factory right now is capable of running 9s @140 off the showroom floor with a warranty.

Not everyone tracks their car at road courses, so being able to pull 1g around a corner doesnt matter. This is whats great about America, theres something for everyone... I wish Chevy would make something like this.

The issue I do have with the Demon is the fact that John Q public wont be able to race the car to it fullest potential. 9.99 and under or over 135mph requires a certified cage and a NHRA competition drivers licence that most people wouldnt have and would be kicked off the track after 1 pass. Really cool car to have but at 90k most hardcore drag racers have a dedicated drag car that goes faster and costs less.
Totally agree!
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #36
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I don't understand their reasoning behind advertising it as a street/strip car that the NHRA has already banned. All you can do with it is brag at a local track.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #37
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
I don't understand their reasoning behind advertising it as a street/strip car that the NHRA has already banned. All you can do with it is brag at a local track.
If an owner puts a cage in it and has the proper NHRA license it can be tracked...I would bet that some tracks would let it make at least one pass just so the employees can see it run...At it's cost I doubt many owners will be driving it to the track just for bragging rights...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #38
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8TE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post

I totally agree with both of your statements...My only thought is will there be a manufacture that produces one of these super cars that will be affordable for the dying middle class???If I answer my own question I would say "no", but since these cars basically sell themselves could advertisement cost be reduced and passed on to the consumer...Was it 13 weeks of limited info mini movies made about this car, I can only imagine how much that cost...Anyway ranting over the price will get me no where...I'll be the first to tell anyone that I'm not loyal to any of the motor companies, I buy what I like regardless of make...Hell if Craftsman came out with a car that was running and I liked it I would be in line to get one if it was in my price range...lol

Last edited by STUNNAH; 04-14-2017 at 01:44 AM.
STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #39
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i think those dodges are damn ugly
oh boy do i love the new zl1..one day i may own one if the price drops and i can save enough
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:16 AM   #40
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
The body lines look old and ugly to me. I would take the SRT Viper or even the over-hyped Mustang GT350R over this ugly pile of garbage.
Liquidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #41
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
If an owner puts a cage in it and has the proper NHRA license it can be tracked...I would bet that some tracks would let it make at least one pass just so the employees can see it run...At it's cost I doubt many owners will be driving it to the track just for bragging rights...
I thought I read somewhere that Dodge also put in access spots for a roll cage too. Good forward thinking if they did. To put one in our cars, have to cut away carpet and plastic covers to get to the mounting points.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #42
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yeah we're definitely not talking about R/Ts here
You're missing the point. If a car isn't engineered for something, don't expect it to out perform something that is. Challengers and Chargers are not meant to see how fast you can go around a turn.

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote