Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Perceptions View Post
If you are local we would be more than happy to give you a second opinion, give us a call.
Now that is an EXCELLENT offer! If I was in those shoes, I would jump at this!
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
If your car was that low on oil or had that plug removed and the oil was gone, you would know it pretty fast - the motor noise alone would have been a quick red flag your about to lose your motor. Just have the garage check it out and find a better place to have your oil changed, or better yet, do it yourself.

Hope there is no damage
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
Is this the plug you are talking about? If so it's just a tin cover that covers an inspection hole in the transmission bell housing. The only problem with the cover missing is that there would be the possibility of something getting caught up in the flywheel. It's not a drain plug, the only way something could leak from there would be if the engine's rear main seal was leaking, or a transmission fluid leak from the front pump or torque converter seal.
Attachment 220584
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
That's funny.... I wondered if it was an inspection plug or something. No engine oil there Sigma. In general the engine oil stays in the engine - that's the transmission. Either the jiffy lube guy was trying to scam you or was a complete moron. Either way, I'd stay away from them. As for the ticking - if you only heard it there, likely just normal engine noise. But, swing by SPi. You might come out with more HP lol

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sounds like youre good dude!! Just check your oil a little more frequently! and AVOID the quick stops... they dont know much.

Now, the guys at the dealer were jerks too... but I think your car is fine. Seeing into the flywheel is no big deal. Heck, I ran for a few thousand miles in the IROC with NO flywheel cover... now, unfortunatly I have a few teeth damaged from debris and have since reinstalled a cover. If thats the plug thats missing... get a new plug and carry one. I think the quick stop guys tried to pull a fast one on you to sell a oil flush.

Keep an eye on the oil and check for spots when the car is parked. Also peek under it once and a while and see if the under carriage is oily. I bet it wont be.

BUT... most importantly... CHECK YOUR OIL FREQUENTLY! just to be sure.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
That's funny.... I wondered if it was an inspection plug or something. No engine oil there Sigma. In general the engine oil stays in the engine - that's the transmission. Either the jiffy lube guy was trying to scam you or was a complete moron. Either way, I'd stay away from them. As for the ticking - if you only heard it there, likely just normal engine noise. But, swing by SPi. You might come out with more HP lol
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
I appreciate the advice. I am a little more at ease after reading this thread. Thanks for all of your input.

I think I may need to give the head office of the lube place a call. I have to go to the rental place to return the mini van and exchange for a car. The world is a different place driving a mini van. I pop into the dealership since their close and find out if there is any news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
The jiffy lube guy need some more education about engines.
I really doubt you have anything to worry about.
Make sure the dealership gives you a new plug and documents that it was missing in case any other problems pop up.
Good Idea Stratman. I wil make sure it is on the invoice when i get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
Manufacturers make terrific parts these day. But...trust me when I say that if you were driving with no oil in the engine, it would have been a disaster! First, you never had any lights come on. Your oil pressure never dropped and your engine temperature never increased. Correct?

I find it kind of humorous that the dealer didn't tell you what that plug is for. (Kinda makes me wonder about them).

You might want to take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
No lights came EVER. I didn't smell anything. I checked the oil pressure firstthing when I got in the car. even scrolled through the computer. When I got to the dealership I got on the ground and listened. I think I may take a drive out to see Shifted perceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Perceptions View Post
If you are local we would be more than happy to give you a second opinion, give us a call.
I will send you guys a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Sounds like youre good dude!! Just check your oil a little more frequently! and AVOID the quick stops... they dont know much.

Now, the guys at the dealer were jerks too... but I think your car is fine. Seeing into the flywheel is no big deal. Heck, I ran for a few thousand miles in the IROC with NO flywheel cover... now, unfortunatly I have a few teeth damaged from debris and have since reinstalled a cover. If thats the plug thats missing... get a new plug and carry one. I think the quick stop guys tried to pull a fast one on you to sell a oil flush.

Keep an eye on the oil and check for spots when the car is parked. Also peek under it once and a while and see if the under carriage is oily. I bet it wont be.

BUT... most importantly... CHECK YOUR OIL FREQUENTLY! just to be sure.
Lesson learned on that one. During the summer I wash the car once a week so I will be adding an oil check after I have washed.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #22
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Update

Called dealer today. Turns out they need to order a new oil pan. They say it will arrive tomorrow and will have the car back on wednesday afternoon
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Why did they need a new oil pan? That has nothing to do with that plug you showed us! Something is fishy here.

I hate to say it, but I think the oil place screwed up and is trying to cover there tracks. My first thought is someone forgot to put oil in your car and they started it, and then removed the inspection cover and said you had no oil when you came in so now they aren't responsible.

However, if the dealer ordered a new pan, I'm thinking the stripped the drain plug and the either helicoiled it or cranked a slightly bigger one in. Then, the above still applys and they tried to cover their tracks by saying it had a problem before it even came in.

This is where checking your oil comes into play. I check mine with every fill up. It's overkill, but I have a few reasons. First, it becomes a habit. Second, you can't drive your car without putting gas in it, but you can without washing, so by doing it at fill up it is done regularly. Third, gas stations often have clean paper towels by the window washers, so it's easy and free!

Another thing too, check your oil before and after every change! My dad has had at least one occasion where they didn't change it (and he gave them a case of mobil 1 to use)! In addition, you make sure they filled it properly and that you had oil before the change.

Now, to make you feel better, even if they started it for a few seconds or so with no oil, your probably fine. Oil sticks to the inside of an engine and can still lube for a lite while. Anyone remember the 90s mobil 1 commercials where they would put mobil 1 in, drain it, then drive around with a big odometer on the car?
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Why did they need a new oil pan? That has nothing to do with that plug you showed us! Something is fishy here.

I hate to say it, but I think the oil place screwed up and is trying to cover there tracks. My first thought is someone forgot to put oil in your car and they started it, and then removed the inspection cover and said you had no oil when you came in so now they aren't responsible.

However, if the dealer ordered a new pan, I'm thinking the stripped the drain plug and the either helicoiled it or cranked a slightly bigger one in. Then, the above still applys and they tried to cover their tracks by saying it had a problem before it even came in.

This is where checking your oil comes into play. I check mine with every fill up. It's overkill, but I have a few reasons. First, it becomes a habit. Second, you can't drive your car without putting gas in it, but you can without washing, so by doing it at fill up it is done regularly. Third, gas stations often have clean paper towels by the window washers, so it's easy and free!

Another thing too, check your oil before and after every change! My dad has had at least one occasion where they didn't change it (and he gave them a case of mobil 1 to use)! In addition, you make sure they filled it properly and that you had oil before the change.

Now, to make you feel better, even if they started it for a few seconds or so with no oil, your probably fine. Oil sticks to the inside of an engine and can still lube for a lite while. Anyone remember the 90s mobil 1 commercials where they would put mobil 1 in, drain it, then drive around with a big odometer on the car?
I agree with the first point here. And maybe the 2nd point. No reason to replace the oil pan for the issue you describe. I'd ask the dealer to give you a full explanation for what's going on and why the replacement parts. Also, you haven't said if they are doing this under warranty or not. Have they told you? B/C if it's a stripped drain plug as suggested (although pretty damn hard to strip them) then they will not warranty that (normally). So if that's the case, you better be going back to the jiffy lube or whatever it is. But just from what you've told us so far, I'd stay away from the jiffy lube and probably search a new dealer too. Just my 2 cents

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #25
sigma_1966
My baby is here

They haven't told me under warranty HOWEVER i think its safe to assume that an oil leak would be covered. There was a leak confirmed at lube place and at dealership. The dealership is going to call me tomorrow with an update. I will be asking for a complete rundown.

At the lube place He showed me the dipstick and then said no oil and recommended an oil flush which I took. He then took me downstairs as car was running for 5 mins and showed me the leak and the missing plug which he said was crankshaft but was actually the transmission. He said he needed to add 2 liters to just see the oil level. if he was changing the oil why would he need to add oil to see it ?.

Personally I think the car was low he may have wiped the dipstick off and he took the opportunity to sell an oil flush took me down showed me the leak and probably thought the missing plug was actually the crankcase plug and thought that maybe the reason for the low oil. I never experienced any smells or strange noises or any warning indicators on the car. I wont be doing oil changes anywhere other than a dealership.

Someone had said if the car was out of oil then the car would have indicated it. At the dealership they didn't seem like this was a big deal they were going to let me take the car home until i protested.

I went straight from lube place to dealership (15 min drive) who checked the oil and there was oil in it. The previous oil change done 10K km or 6K miles was done at a local Chev dealership.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Spoke with dealership. Its the Oil pan gasket. It was released on a bulletin quite awhile ago.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
sounds like a combination of things then, you had a leak, may have been a little low from a true leak, but they probably used that as an excuse to flush the oil. Then, you happened to be missing the trans inspection plug as well.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
sounds like a combination of things then, you had a leak, may have been a little low from a true leak, but they probably used that as an excuse to flush the oil. Then, you happened to be missing the trans inspection plug as well.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote