Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
5th Gen ZL1 Dyno/Store

I have decided I want to start improving my car. Does anyone know of a good store/Dyno in Minneapolis area?

Wish I was near RDP, Janetty, Vengeance, CSP, etc..

I want to do full bolt ons, but want Dyno Tune or even street tune/tested.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Dave Karl

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I have decided I want to start improving my car. Does anyone know of a good store/Dyno in Minneapolis area?

Wish I was near RDP, Janetty, Vengeance, CSP, etc..

I want to do full bolt ons, but want Dyno Tune or even street tune/tested.
So far Jannetty has been really helpful to me. I just finished installing their 75rwhp package all is ok and went only a few hiccups. I haven't been able to actually road test the car because it is in storage for the winter. Spring isn't here yet in west central Wisconsin. I'm planning on taking it to Capital City Dyno in Madison Wisconsin as soon as the weather improves.
Dave Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karl View Post
So far Jannetty has been really helpful to me. I just finished installing their 75rwhp package all is ok and went only a few hiccups. I haven't been able to actually road test the car because it is in storage for the winter. Spring isn't here yet in west central Wisconsin. I'm planning on taking it to Capital City Dyno in Madison Wisconsin as soon as the weather improves.
yeah, I agree Ted is a wealth of knowledge..I was sort of hoping I could just order parts from a vendor, install them myself, then trailer my car to them for the tune. One stop shopping.

I may just have to order from East coast vendor and remote tune...I have googled many searches looking for shop/performance parts stores here in MN and no luck.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
Dave Karl

Quote:
yeah, I agree Ted is a wealth of knowledge..I was sort of hoping I could just order parts from a vendor, install them myself, then trailer my car to them for the tune. One stop shopping.

I may just have to order from East coast vendor and remote tune...I have googled many searches looking for shop/performance parts stores here in MN and no luck.
That's what I did. I won't be able to tell how well the remote tuning worked until I get the car on the road. So far I've only been able to run it in my driveway. Found a lot of excellent info on this forum.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karl View Post
Have you worked with Capitol city? I live in Madison an I am just looking for a tune to improve on stock setup? Have you been given a cost for the tune?

Thanks Lou
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I’m not sure why you don’t just let Ted remote street tune your car. Real world street tune is gonna be better than a dyno tune. I have been modding mine for six years, adding more and more. Ted has remote tuned every time. I have his cam package, e85, upper and lower pulleys, chiller, lid spacer, headers, no cats, too much to list. Absolutely no problems. Car runs mid 6’s in the 1/8 consistently. He just retuned it for me after the chiller and lid spacer. Car runs fantastic.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I’m not sure why you don’t just let Ted remote street tune your car. Real world street tune is gonna be better than a dyno tune. I have been modding mine for six years, adding more and more. Ted has remote tuned every time. I have his cam package, e85, upper and lower pulleys, chiller, lid spacer, headers, no cats, too much to list. Absolutely no problems. Car runs mid 6’s in the 1/8 consistently. He just retuned it for me after the chiller and lid spacer. Car runs fantastic.
Great question, I trust Ted, not sure I trust myself. If I lived within 6 hours of CT JRE, I would just build it in my shop and deliver to him for the tune.

I have maybe watched too many videos of Fran tuning cars that were tuned by people like me..scares me enough to want an expert to do it.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Dave Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou gill View Post
Have you worked with Capitol city? I live in Madison an I am just looking for a tune to improve on stock setup? Have you been given a cost for the tune?

Thanks Lou
Haven't worked with them yet. Follow them on Facebook. They are closer to me than West Bend Dyno in Milwaukee. I will be contacting them soon.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Great question, I trust Ted, not sure I trust myself. If I lived within 6 hours of CT JRE, I would just build it in my shop and deliver to him for the tune.

I have maybe watched too many videos of Fran tuning cars that were tuned by people like me..scares me enough to want an expert to do it.

Not sure I follow, if you trust Ted why would you be tuning? He emails you the tune you install, take some logs, send to him, he looks at them adjust the tune sends it to you and repete until he tells you it’s complete. It’s pretty simple. Why not just call him and let him tell you how it works.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Not sure I follow, if you trust Ted why would you be tuning? He emails you the tune you install, take some logs, send to him, he looks at them adjust the tune sends it to you and repete until he tells you it’s complete. It’s pretty simple. Why not just call him and let him tell you how it works.
Could be because he refuses to look at your tune log even the first time you called him after buying the tune, unless you buy a $600 fore fuel rail that you don't need at the hp level you're at.
The free tune with buying parts doesn't include this and that mod so that's $500 too..
Can't say his tune or knowledge aren't good but I won't be doing further business with him. There were a couple things inside the tune I don't agree with either but I don't feel like going into that here.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Personal preference..sort of the the manual vs automatic debate, or V6 vs. V8, there is not a wrong answer.

After doing my research on the subject I feel a professional tuner, tuning my car in person is better than remote. Although I do not want to turn this into that debate, I just was curious if there was a tuner in MN. I did get a few PM's with some ideas..

Thank you all for your input!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Contact Carl at CJ Tunes. He's a solid tuner and knows this platform very well. His shop is Lancer Automotive located in St Paul. You can also look up CJ tunes on FB.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:14 AM   #13
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Contact Carl at CJ Tunes. He's a solid tuner and knows this platform very well. His shop is Lancer Automotive located in St Paul. You can also look up CJ tunes on FB.
Thanks!