Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Guardian1816

Drives: Black w/ inferno orange 2LT
Twin supers?

I was talking to a buddy about installing twin turbos on my camaro and among his rants about upgrading a V6 to begin with he hypocritically added that if anything I needed to install twin superchargers on it instead. Call me new, but even though it didnt sound right for some reason, I suppose its feasible to do if someone really wanted to.

However, no site ive been to advertises them or even a search on google doesnt come back with a single hit.

My question is this. Does it even exist?
Guardian1816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Sounds like he thinks twin turbos sound rediculous and threw that out like "if one Pacific island is good, why not two?"

Take a look at the V6 FI section to get a good idea of what people are doing.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
you can do it but its stupid and there is no point
Attached Images

www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
They look freaky mean though don't they? Just can't see doing it on these LLTs, what with the custom manifold, belts, pulleys... Much cheaper to go the turbo route IMHO!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Seems like you'd have a huge parasitic lose running twin superchargers, that much more being sapped out on the drive belt.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
lol... and plus Turbos are more economical, ratio to power. And turbos have broader power band ranges. Single SC would be nice... just for the sake of SC =p

Or, do what the GT500's do... Twin turbo supercharged LOL
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
no... there is a point. the "different" factor and the extra boost you get out of it. the blowers stay cooler when they don't have to work as hard, so for a high-boost application for OMGWTFROFLMAOBBQ power, yeah, it's a viable option. the most popular vehicles like this are that Challenger, a Lightning, and an Avalanche with a 540BB there's also plenty of twin-blower setups for marine engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
They look freaky mean though don't they? Just can't see doing it on these LLTs, what with the custom manifold, belts, pulleys... Much cheaper to go the turbo route IMHO!
yeah. it's crazy expensive for the custom fabrication involved and personally, i wouldn't say it's worth it for the LLT. go twin turbo
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
you can see it here but really what's the point !!!
http://www.superchargerkits.org/twin...ed-challenger/
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There are also some who have gone with 2 stages of superchargers, where the first feeds the second, which ups the boost and feeds the engine. I'm not sure if they are more or less common than the 'side by side' type of configuration, since both are pretty rare.

2 superchargers usually aren't the most economical way to get power, but they certainly look impressive. And if anyone does it, they'd probably be the only person in the world with a twin supercharged V6 Camaro.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #10
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Twin superchargers are sort of in the same category as twin charging (supercharger AND turbo). Its a cool idea and it has been experimented with a bit, but it doesn't really make sense for anything but a show car where you just want something different for the hell of it. The reason for twin turbos is to prevent lag, or at least any significant amount. There is no such thing as lag with a supercharger so (probably) all you would end up with is increased parasitic loss over a single larger unit like somebody already said above.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburbeest View Post
Twin superchargers are sort of in the same category as twin charging (supercharger AND turbo). Its a cool idea and it has been experimented with a bit, but it doesn't really make sense for anything but a show car where you just want something different for the hell of it. The reason for twin turbos is to prevent lag, or at least any significant amount. There is no such thing as lag with a supercharger so (probably) all you would end up with is increased parasitic loss over a single larger unit like somebody already said above.
Couple of other reasons you might consider twin turbos. Sized properly they can result in more air flow (g/s) with the same psi as a single. Lower pressure means lower temps. Greater air flow means more power if you have the fuel to get proper AFR. Twins also allow you to get more total power if you are willing to build the engine. Two turbos running 20 psi will pump much more air than 1 at 20 psi. But mostly it is because they look cool!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast

Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Couple of other reasons you might consider twin turbos. Sized properly they can result in more air flow (g/s) with the same psi as a single. Lower pressure means lower temps. Greater air flow means more power if you have the fuel to get proper AFR. Twins also allow you to get more total power if you are willing to build the engine. Two turbos running 20 psi will pump much more air than 1 at 20 psi. But mostly it is because they look cool!
Makes good sense. didn't think of that

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
a picture of an engine with 2 superchargers sitting on top never gets old. I have a picture on my home computer of a 1970ish vette with 2 blowers sticking through the hood. So badass.
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote