Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
HIDs without RS Package?

I plan on getting aftermarket wheels, could care less about the badging and roof ditch molding. Kinda like the tails, but I can do those later on down the road.

Anyhow, has anyone seen a way to order a 2SS with HIDS and not the RS package? I'd rather not spend 1200 when HIDs are all I really want.

If there isn't a way to do this, do we assume the HIDs will be available through gmpp for a reasonable price, and they can be an easy pnp install?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
There is another thread about this on here. bottom line is the RS package is the only way to get them. Aftermarket world has kits available, but in the end your going to spend as much as the RS package does to do it all anyways......just my .02

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
haulass350

Drives: 97 silverado
well there are three parts to that package

the projector lenses
the halos
and the HID lights themselves

if all you want is the HID light them you can get kits on ebay that are plug and play for around 100ish bucks.

if you want the whole deal then either get the RS package or wait until aftermarket comes out with something similar.
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
I plan on getting aftermarket wheels, could care less about the badging and roof ditch molding. Kinda like the tails, but I can do those later on down the road.

Anyhow, has anyone seen a way to order a 2SS with HIDS and not the RS package? I'd rather not spend 1200 when HIDs are all I really want.

If there isn't a way to do this, do we assume the HIDs will be available through gmpp for a reasonable price, and they can be an easy pnp install?
Certified kits normally run $300-$400 depending on the car per side and are currently just for low beams. With the Camaro's headlights doing both low and high beam, the kits for the Camaro will add another $100-$200 per side. If you want the halo look and projector lens, that's going to be extra as well. Imo, if you want that look you might as well just go ahead and order an RS as you'll spend $1k-$1,200 or more on the lights anyway.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Certified kits normally run $300-$400 depending on the car per side and are currently just for low beams. With the Camaro's headlights doing both low and high beam, the kits for the Camaro will add another $100-$200 per side. If you want the halo look and projector lens, that's going to be extra as well. Imo, if you want that look you might as well just go ahead and order an RS as you'll spend $1k-$1,200 or more on the lights anyway.

The RS packages are a steal...
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
whatismyusername

Drives: 07 300C SRT-8
If you want HIDs, get the RS package. You'll be wasting your time and money with kits because a. they're illegal and b. the kits on eBay only belong on beaters, not a brand new cars.

You can always try to buy the OEM parts and do it yourself but be warned it will cost you a lot of money and might not even work. I know a few people over on the LX forums have got all the parts but their cars software won't allow the HIDs to function. Even the dealer can't active it using starscan.
whatismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Belo

I guess what I'm wondering then is, do you think we can get the OEM camaro HID/Halo lights seperatly sometime in the future? If so, will it be a pretty clean replace?

Sorry about the repost, but I did search, I swear it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
If you go to a Chevy dealer parts counter and buy everything you will need to put those in you will spend more then $1200.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering then is, do you think we can get the OEM camaro HID/Halo lights seperatly sometime in the future? If so, will it be a pretty clean replace?

Sorry about the repost, but I did search, I swear it.
Yes you can buy everything separately, if not from the dealer then through a repair shop but you will pay just as much or more then the cost of the RS package and as already said above it may not work. Some cars require the CPU to be programmed from the factory to be able to run the HID's, something that not even the dealer can do.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
Belo

Alright, valid points guys. Thanks for the input. It's not that I feel the RS package is overpriced, but as I'm just trying to trim where I can.

If I get the 2SS with Sunroof, auto, ground effects, high spoiler and RS package I'm looking at $38,510 retail and $34,802 employee plus destination and 1.5% advertising cost.

I'm guessing I'll drop the ground effects and spoiler package. I'll just hate puting on 20" snow tires. Would rather have 19's.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Belo

btw, do the 20's come with summer z-rated tires or all seasons?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Mr_Draco

Quote:
btw, do the 20's come with summer z-rated tires or all seasons?
Currently summers but last I heard GM might change them to all seasons.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If you go to a Chevy dealer parts counter and buy everything you will need to put those in you will spend more then $1200.

None of us have any clue what those lights will really cost, and honestly they will probably cost WAY less than the $1200 for the RS package. There are enough discount online GM parts dealers (like Fred Beans) that I'm sure they will be able to be purchased for well under $1000 for the pair. Or wait 6 months and head for the used parts resellers, I'm sure plenty of idiots will wrap up RS equipped cars. The only problem to anticipate is the ECM problem mentioned here which we won't know about until we try it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote