Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
The thieve was wearing a hoody.

Just sayin'
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
Memo to OP, ALWAYS remove the key from Camaro or any other car when leaving car even if just fueling up.
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #31
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Computer systems are easy as hell to hack. I bet something already exists that can remotely shut down these devices with a mimicked signal from a laptop.
Depends on the encryption level of the signal, and a host of other factors.

Is it possible to hack? I'm sure it is. Just about anything is possible. But if it was as easy as the "tin-hatters" might lead you to believe, there'd be a host of lawsuits and news reports by now. OnStar has had this feature on lots of GM cars for quite a while now.

Remember that there is a huge difference to what is Possible to do, and what is Probable to do.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
I can't believe some of these responses. The name calling about leaving keys in a car. Why can't someone leave THEIR keys in THEIR car without someone stealing it? It's not the owner's fault because some scumbag doesn't understand and follow life's simple rules.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSS View Post
The Blaze members are some of the most racist and ignorant MFs I have ever read from.
Am I wrong if I hate racist?
No, but regardless, everyone deserves to be shown respect for the simple fact that they are human.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1hawk View Post
I can't believe some of these responses. The name calling about leaving keys in a car. Why can't someone leave THEIR keys in THEIR car without someone stealing it? It's not the owner's fault because some scumbag doesn't understand and follow life's simple rules.
Hate to burst your perfect world bubble but its the world we live in. Sadly if you give someone an inch, they'll want a mile and this guy took it for longer than that in that guy's Camaro.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I NEVER EVER leave either of my cars running even if I go in somewhere for a second even in my neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
Depends on the encryption level of the signal, and a host of other factors.

Is it possible to hack? I'm sure it is. Just about anything is possible. But if it was as easy as the "tin-hatters" might lead you to believe, there'd be a host of lawsuits and news reports by now. OnStar has had this feature on lots of GM cars for quite a while now.

Remember that there is a huge difference to what is Possible to do, and what is Probable to do.
This for sure, judging by a lot of the necessary feed processes going on just to do a simple call to OnStar from your car. I'm sure there is a mess of encryption just to bring up the option to disable your car's acceleration or even unlock it. For those who use the app to unlock your doors, just look at the time delay. That's not just network delay there is a lot going on between your phone, the server(s) and the computer in your car.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Driver's stupidity for leaving the keys in the car aside...

I actually feel a lot more comfortable about having OnStar than I would if I simply had an alarm or LoJack even.

If my car was stolen, my first call would be to OnStar directly. They will then alert the authorities on your behalf, give them all necessary information, and coordinate the recovery.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
weenie25banini

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Man that guy was stupid!! but I know i would feel safe knowing that onstar will find my car and they will catch the person.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #37
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
"Locks keep the honest ones out."

- My stepdad.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I leave the car running all the time when I am running in and out of the store for a minute. However, I lock the car and have a spare set of keys to use. Camaro defaults so that when running, driver's side door will not lock so you have to manually lock it outside of the car, which is fine.

Personally, I hate OnStar, want nothing to do with it. I had to sign a statement sheet at the dealership (Medved, Castle Rock, CO) stating I wouldn't "sell" the OnStar chip...which makes me wonder how much it is worth. So I am going to rip it out and perhaps give it away for a small donation to my favorite charity the MYOB Club. The day I need some nitwit sitting in a cubicle looking over my shoulder is the day I quit driving.

Thank you.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #39
Gzilla

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS Silver Ice
That's what's up!!!
Gzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #40
Neto1978

Drives: 2011 camaro ss victory red
I wish i had my 10mm glock when this mother f. Was caught. I hate criminals! We struggle for our hard earned money and a son of gun like that steals our vehicles... No mercy!
Neto1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
So he left his Camaro running and someone stole it, you don't say?

The website is called "The Blaze", I rest my case
Of all cars on of the hottest American Muscle cars ever. I always lock and take my key at the pump. Even today some hot chicks were checking my car out . I stepped on the pedal a little harder than needed in neutral just to give them a dose of the exhaust rumble as I drove by when I was done.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #42
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I leave the car running all the time when I am running in and out of the store for a minute. However, I lock the car and have a spare set of keys to use. Camaro defaults so that when running, driver's side door will not lock so you have to manually lock it outside of the car, which is fine.

Personally, I hate OnStar, want nothing to do with it. I had to sign a statement sheet at the dealership (Medved, Castle Rock, CO) stating I wouldn't "sell" the OnStar chip...which makes me wonder how much it is worth. So I am going to rip it out and perhaps give it away for a small donation to my favorite charity the MYOB Club. The day I need some nitwit sitting in a cubicle looking over my shoulder is the day I quit driving.

Thank you.
Take it someone doesn't like BIG BROTHER.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote