Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
homero89

Drives: 1LS
2014 LS randomly shut off

Hi everyone, been away for a bit, today I was driving into work, and my car just shut off on a turn into a parking lot. Now I know the first instinct would be the key recall, but I'm too short for that to be even a possibility, and 100% sure I didn't touch it. I recently relocated to North Texas were temperatures are in 30s in the morning, from Florida where the coldest it got was about 60s. So could it be something with the temperature? Do I have to add anything to my car that will cause it to not randomly shut off? Has anybody else had this happen to them? This happened in a parking lot, where the damage would have been minimal but I don't want this to happen to me when I'm on the highway and can't steer my car.
homero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Make a visit to your local dealer and explain it to them !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I bought my car in Florida over five years ago and there are lots of every version of Camaro here. Pretty sure that's not it.

Is the key still in the run position when you go to restart it?

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
I don't mean to sound condescending, but the 1LS is a manual transmission. Are you sure you weren't it too high a gear when making the turn? Maybe you were in 4th instead of 2nd?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by homero89 View Post
Hi everyone, been away for a bit, today I was driving into work, and my car just shut off on a turn into a parking lot. Now I know the first instinct would be the key recall, but I'm too short for that to be even a possibility, and 100% sure I didn't touch it. I recently relocated to North Texas were temperatures are in 30s in the morning, from Florida where the coldest it got was about 60s. So could it be something with the temperature? Do I have to add anything to my car that will cause it to not randomly shut off? Has anybody else had this happen to them? This happened in a parking lot, where the damage would have been minimal but I don't want this to happen to me when I'm on the highway and can't steer my car.
In the abscence of any "check engine" light or codes set, I'd think you might have been in too high a gear as someone else suggested (4th instead of 2nd? 6th instead of 4th?) If you lug the engine too low, it will die.

The temperature shouldn't have an affect. These things will start and run in extreme temps, high or low, as most any car with EFI or direct injection will do these days.

REMEMBER

If the car shuts off at high speed, leave the key in the "run" position and shift to neutral. Steering and braking are still possible, but there will be no power assist. The steering wheel might feel heavy to turn and the brakes hard to press, but they will still work.

Do NOT turn the key to "off" "acc" or any lock position.

If you experience sudden acceleration instead, or the accelerator gets stuck to the floor, shift to neutral. Experienced users can cut power to the engine, place the key back in "run" and steer/brake to a stop.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
I've had this happen to me before I'll be in second gear pulling into a spot and my car just shuts off. If it stalled u should feel it shake a little. But it just turns off for me... Weird
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
homero89

Drives: 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamaro View Post
I don't mean to sound condescending, but the 1LS is a manual transmission. Are you sure you weren't it too high a gear when making the turn? Maybe you were in 4th instead of 2nd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I bought my car in Florida over five years ago and there are lots of every version of Camaro here. Pretty sure that's not it.

Is the key still in the run position when you go to restart it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87mets View Post
I've had this happen to me before I'll be in second gear pulling into a spot and my car just shuts off. If it stalled u should feel it shake a little. But it just turns off for me... Weird
I thought that, but i didnt feel any struggling like when trying to go from a stop in second gear. It felt like it was just rolling along (15mph-ish), then the power steering cut off. No check engine light, no warning. I didnt even hear the engine die. Guess I'll have to take it in to my local chevy soon, have it checked out.
homero89 is offline   Reply With Quote