Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #15
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Sounds like what you got isn't the same as what these used to come with. I'm sure it'll still look better than the afterburners that their new 6800 model bulb have though. They have like half as many LEDs as the 6700 model and the afterburner looks like crap and is barely noticeable. At least the flat LED strip has them packed in a little more tightly.
I powered one up and it does have the flat LED strip and it doesn't look to bad, not as bright as before but still bright enough.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #16
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I sent mine in as well took Todd a whole month to get these back to me. He replaced everything I got them in and sold them right away not going to mess with them anymore. Hope the next guy gets some enjoyment out of them.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Do you have the 6700 or 6800 model lamps? They changed the style of afterburner to one that looks a lot worse. Within the last year they cited a supplier issue with the original afterburner ring. I can't find any examples of the original afterburner on eBay — it's flooded with ones like these where it's a flat strip of LEDs versus individual bulbs like the original technostalgias had.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LED-Afte...-/182032075274
I have the original afterburner look, not like that new one, with zero contrast as afterburner.

Nonetheless, the original afterburner is still a glued on one-piece item, with individual bulbs on it. I can take a pic of this tomorrow, as I have not installed it yet, but I think it's time I do this now as spring approaches. .

So yeah, in regards to his supplier, no idea dude, but I do know that Todd @Technostalgia, had his lil lads repair mine with the original afterburner, but it was aligned wrong, so it looks "different" from the other three assemblies afterburners .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
So yeah, in regards to his supplier, no idea dude, but I do know that Todd @Technostalgia, had his lil lads repair mine with the original afterburner, but it was aligned wrong, so it looks "different" from the other three assemblies afterburners .
Thats weird. A couple people on these forums claimed Todd was only willing to repair them if he swapped all the afterburner rings with the "new" 6800 model ones, which have less LEDs. Do you have pics of the LED strip itself outside of the housing?

I'm worried one day I'll go out to my car and see a burnt out LED either on the afterburner or in the middle of the lamp. It's been about 3 years with them. I had to stop opening my trunk when it rained because of fogging, so now I just dry off the decklid in advance so water doesn't rush down through the drainage areas that lead out the bumper cover. My passenger side right bulb doesn't react to show mode anymore, but I never use that feature. Both passenger bulbs had intermittent hyper flashing that gradually became permanent, and one resistor in the resistor harness was remaining cold meaning it had no load, even after swapping it. I had to instead wire some new resistors by tapping directly into the brown and black wires of the stock lamp harness to introduce some load resistance in parallel to the entire bulb assembly, which finally fixed it.

Lots of problems with these, but the more times I fix them, the more determined I am to keep them. I wonder if you could also use an Oracle CFL ring in place of the afterburner LEDs the Technostalgia units have.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Thats weird. A couple people on these forums claimed Todd was only willing to repair them if he swapped all the afterburner rings with the "new" 6800 model ones, which have less LEDs. Do you have pics of the LED strip itself outside of the housing?

I'm worried one day I'll go out to my car and see a burnt out LED either on the afterburner or in the middle of the lamp. It's been about 3 years with them. I had to stop opening my trunk when it rained because of fogging, so now I just dry off the decklid in advance so water doesn't rush down through the drainage areas that lead out the bumper cover. My passenger side right bulb doesn't react to show mode anymore, but I never use that feature. Both passenger bulbs had intermittent hyper flashing that gradually became permanent, and one resistor in the resistor harness was remaining cold meaning it had no load, even after swapping it. I had to instead wire some new resistors by tapping directly into the brown and black wires of the stock lamp harness to introduce some load resistance in parallel to the entire bulb assembly, which finally fixed it.

Lots of problems with these, but the more times I fix them, the more determined I am to keep them. I wonder if you could also use an Oracle CFL ring in place of the afterburner LEDs the Technostalgia units have.
Sorry for the late reply...

Nothing weird at all for me. Internet chit chatter is what makes things weird unfortunately.

I sold mine to a member on here...if you go to the private classified ads on here, and look at my post history, you will find the pics of not only the repaired afterburner by Todd, but the one-piece afterburner part that I sourced from China, and sold as a "spare afterburner" to the dude who bought my set.

Having owned these, and even complimented them in the past, the truth is, that these guys are "experts" at screening calls, and their "Don't Worry, Be Happy" hold song over the phone, makes for great writing material, for a future comedy film .

I mean, you_can't_make_this_stuff_up, right?

These lights are hit and miss. In regards to glitches, and particularly fogging issues, the later models were better than the earlier ones.

Premature burned out LED bulbs on the one-piece afterburner was and still IS a problem though. Customer Support at Technostalgia, once you have been on their radar screen and screened , is a HUGE problem, unless you visit them in person.

I think these lights have SOME potential for a DIY'er that is up for challenge to re-customize. I can see how one can start playing Lite-Brite with these
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote