Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ontario to become home of the all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE February 13, 2007
Ontario to become home of the all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger
  • Brampton, Ontario plant will begin production in the spring of 2008
  • Plant will become Chrysler Group's first to build four different models
  • DaimlerChrysler's commitment to Canada continues
  • Countdown begins for highly-anticipated sports coupe
Toronto, Ontario -
DaimlerChrysler announced today that the all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger will be built at its Brampton Assembly Plant near Toronto.
"It's good news that the Dodge Challenger will be added to the Canadian production line-up," said Reid Bigland, President and CEO of DaimlerChrysler Canada. "Quickly bringing desirable new products such as the Dodge Challenger to market is critical to keeping our plants humming, and our dealerships busy."
The Brampton plant also produces Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Magnum and works on three shifts. The Windsor (Ontario) Assembly Plant also works on three shifts and produces Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country minivans as well as Chrysler Pacifica. Production of the Dodge Challenger will begin next year and preparations to ready the plant are already underway.
"Brampton is our first plant to demonstrate the ability to build four models on one line," said Frank Ewasyshyn, Executive Vice President - Manufacturing, Chrysler Group. "As we continue to expand our new model line-up and further implement our flexible manufacturing strategy, other facilities will also have this capability."
Lean manufacturing and product development strategies also allow the Chrysler Group to bring new models, like the Dodge Challenger, to market more quickly. First revealed as a concept vehicle at the North American International (Detroit) Auto Show in 2006, it was announced this past summer that the 2008 Dodge Challenger would be going into production in 2008.
Riding a wave of fan anticipation, a new clock will be on display along with the Dodge Challenger concept car to count down to the unveiling of the production version of the car at the Chicago Auto Show next year. Today, the count-down clock shows 358 days.
"Our speed to market means that Challenger production is now measured in only days," said George Murphy, Senior Vice President - Global Marketing, Chrysler Group. "The ability to quickly react to ever-changing consumer tastes is a competitive advantage for the company."
It will be just a little over two years from Dodge Challenger's concept car introduction to the time it will be available in dealerships.
The company has already seen passionate response to the Dodge Challenger with its bold, powerful and capable attributes. Challenger content received a total of 1.5 million visits on the Dodge.com website in 2006 and 20,000 potential customers have asked the company for more product information regarding the car.
The production version of the 2008 Dodge Challenger will be true to both its historical and modern concept car roots as a two-door, HEMIŽ V-8 powered, rear-drive vehicle. It will be the first coupe built on Chrysler Group's highly successful large car platform which includes the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum.
Thought I'd post it up.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Every day that I drive home form work I see a car carrier with magnums, chargers, and 300's on it driving down the highway. The plant is about 1 hour from where the camaro will be built.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Good. As more and more Camaro's are rolling off the lot, Challenger can watch as it's only produced in 1/3 the numbers
Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
The 2008 Challenger is in the new 2008 - 2009 New Cars Magazine from Motor Trend.

It lists the two engines options for the Challenger as the 340 hp 5.7L and the 420 hp 6.1L HEMIs.....basically the same as the Charger.

I'm not as impressed anymore with the Challenger, because I was under the impression the base
V8 in the Challenger would be the 6.1L HEMI, but I guess it makes sense after all. 340 hp is still 340 hp even if it is in a 4000lb car.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote