Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
Ckmerc

Drives: 2013 zl1
How to turn off launch? School me on burnout..please

So…have been enjoying the 2013 zl1 for about a month now. Tonight I was trying to do a simple small burnout after turning a corner and it I could not get it to work.

Put mode on 5 “advanced track” took off from stop sign fairly mild and did a right turn Reving RPMs while turning and then released clutch fully….tires would not break loose at all..

in fact, when turn was just about done, I was pushing on the peddle to rev rpm’s higher before I fully dumped the clutch and the rpm’s would rev any higher…..seemed to be limiting the throttle still..

With all that said..what do I need to do to turn off the launch nannies so a (small) burnout would be feasible.

Apologies for the question and appreciate the guidance. (Ps these are brand new tires from dealership I purchased through)
Ckmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:20 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmerc View Post
So…have been enjoying the 2013 zl1 for about a month now. Tonight I was trying to do a simple small burnout after turning a corner and it I could not get it to work.

Put mode on 5 “advanced track” took off from stop sign fairly mild and did a right turn Reving RPMs while turning and then released clutch fully….tires would not break loose at all..

in fact, when turn was just about done, I was pushing on the peddle to rev rpm’s higher before I fully dumped the clutch and the rpm’s would rev any higher…..seemed to be limiting the throttle still..

With all that said..what do I need to do to turn off the launch nannies so a (small) burnout would be feasible.

Apologies for the question and appreciate the guidance. (Ps these are brand new tires from dealership I purchased through)
Was your last car a mustang? Trying to intentionally brake the tires loose while turning is usually a quick chase of the wheel to correct, second wheel chase to over correct in the opposite direction, then one last OMG correction into the pole on the side of the road..

The LSD is doing its job while you are turning as it knows one wheel is rotating faster than the other and is working with stabilitrak and traction control to stop it.

If you have experience driving a clutch these cars have no problem breaking the tires loose. But here is what you asked for just don’t wreck it..

Hold the traction control/ stabiliTrak button for 5 - 7 sec. When you first press it the traction control light will come on, after the full 7 sec the stabilitraklight will come on. You still have some of the Nannie’s but that should be plenty to spin it into a pole..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
okjuvkam

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
One press on the tc button will alow you to draw 11`s in a straigt line, press and hold the button for 7 seconds if you are making donuts

Ole Kristian
2012 ZL1 #428
okjuvkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:11 AM   #4
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
but that should be plenty to spin it into a pole..[/QUOTE]

Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Was your last car a mustang? Trying to intentionally brake the tires loose while turning is usually a quick chase of the wheel to correct, second wheel chase to over correct in the opposite direction, then one last OMG correction into the pole on the side of the road..

The LSD is doing its job while you are turning as it knows one wheel is rotating faster than the other and is working with stabilitrak and traction control to stop it.

If you have experience driving a clutch these cars have no problem breaking the tires loose. But here is what you asked for just don’t wreck it..

Hold the traction control/ stabiliTrak button for 5 - 7 sec. When you first press it the traction control light will come on, after the full 7 sec the stabilitraklight will come on. You still have some of the Nannie’s but that should be plenty to spin it into a pole..
Indeed my last perf. car was a mustang..(few years ago) and stop sign turn small burns was a regular thing I was used to.

Thanks on the TC and ST turn off guidance... One press of TC and can do straight line burns...long press of TC button and turns off completely for donut burns.. To turn back to "normal" TC...assume just single press of TC button?

Honestly, I have been babying the car a bit and have not dumped clutch..

Was just not sure what exact mode/TC buttons to use if I wanted to break tires loose a little.
Yes, agree...will stick with straight 11 burns vs. corner ones....no pole / ditch for me...
Old 05-11-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
Ckmerc

First let me say "thank you again"...I tried finding videos for the 5G ZL1 describing mode and button navigation but they appear to have been all taken down. By chance does anyone have more video links?

..perhaps it is just me. But all of this driving mode stuff is not as intuitive as I had hoped... again..likely user error issues. That said, I have had a couple friends with performance cars drive my car and they were just as perplexed. Not so much with the various modes and their purpose.....but the navigation of the modes..what is on and what is off, which button does what etc.

there are 3 buttons... and various combinations of them produce different driving modes..

within the manual......there are various modes 1-5. There are terms / features reference called like active handling, Traction Control, Launch Control, stability track. Then their are 3 different buttons (Tour, Sport, TC/Stabil Control) Had a friend read through it and he looked at me and said..."ya, not straight forward"

Granted he has a 2021 or 22 ZL1...

Apologies for the ask...just trying to understand the specific use of each button.. ie...if I press Tour just once and light is on....do I then have to hit the T/C button to go through the modes available on Tour?....same with Sport... Just looking for something that explains the navigation button combination and button purpose..
Old 05-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #7
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
It’s only for sport mode - dbl tap the off button - then it’ll put you in the different stages . You use your tour button to go down and sport button to go up on stages .
Sport 1-4 and race 5
Old 05-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #8
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
It’s only for sport mode - dbl tap the off button - then it’ll put you in the different stages . You use your tour button to go down and sport button to go up on stages .
Sport 1-4 and race 5
Thank you again...So stated simply I start the car...

Default light is "on" for "Tour Mode" typically...
> there are NO different modes to click into when the "Tour Mode" light is on...i.e. no need to press TC/Stab Control button correct?

I then click "Sport Mode"
> Within sport mode-ie Sport Mode light is "on" I then press TC/Stab Control button to get into the Menu option for Sport Modes 1-5. I then click the "Sport Mode" button to advance to highest option (5-Race) OR I click the "Tour Mode" button while in the menu, to go back down the list to say 1-Wet Mode

OR

I turn off almost every mode by Holding the TC button for 5-7 seconds

Am I thinking about this correctly?
Old 05-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
First let me say "thank you again"...I tried finding videos for the 5G ZL1 describing mode and button navigation but they appear to have been all taken down. By chance does anyone have more video links?

First clear your browser cache as it knows you used to drive a mustang and won't allow you to find the good stuff.

Everything you ever wanted to know about PTM. and not hit a pole...

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:18 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Boy it's a good thing the car wouldn't let you do a burnout AROUND a turn!! That's just asking for trouble as mentioned above by ZMEnow. Just not a good idea..

Old 05-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #11
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Boy it's a good thing the car wouldn't let you do a burnout AROUND a turn!! That's just asking for trouble as mentioned above by ZMEnow. Just not a good idea..

Tonight was a good time.. did a short 11 burn out then hit some corners more aggressively (not in pole wrapping mode).. not needing to work so hard to keep wheels locked to the pavement has been quite a nice surprise.. to think that this tech is already 10 yrs old (at least) What an amazingly fun car to drive.

Buddy of mine has 69 nova with my same engine…. Has a tune with cam work and he pretty much replaced everything related to making sure his car could appropriately “handle” the engine HP (tranny, tires exhaust, alignment, etc.).. he is doing his best to keep his tires locked up on take off…. He say as he has a couple more dyno tunes to go yet to get things more in order.

Side note….
I have never been in an accident or received a speeding ticket..and I just hit half century mark. I drive fairly conservatively. Have enjoyed performance cars in the past..but none with the controlled HP of this package.

Appreciate everyone’s guidance…
Old 05-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #12
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post

First clear your browser cache as it knows you used to drive a mustang and won't allow you to find the good stuff.

Everything you ever wanted to know about PTM. and not hit a pole...

Correct you are…this indeed was an easy to follow / comprehend video regarding PTM.

Many thanks good sir….