Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Because no real man needs no computer to tell him how to do something or when to do it. That's why I turn that shit off, pull a pin on a hand grenade, and just let it roll around in my passenger seat. Nothing better and manlier then a live M67 rolling around next to you while driving around with the nannies off.

Some "real men" need grammar lessons though!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
I keep mine off because within the first 3 months of having my car Stabilitrac kicked in a few times while I was either taking an exit ramp or entrance ramp to or from the beltway and almost threw me into a wall (Scared the living sh*t out of me). Yeah comp mode would suffice but I ran into a problem with a CEL every time I would get on the throttle hard. I kept telling myself it had something to do with Comp mode so I started driving with all nannies off and never got a CEL. Of course the CEL ended up being a bad Spark Plug but I never went back to Comp Mode. Nothing to do with ego.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #31
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntgome1 View Post
I keep mine off because within the first 3 months of having my car Stabilitrac kicked in a few times while I was either taking an exit ramp or entrance ramp to or from the beltway and almost threw me into a wall (Scared the living sh*t out of me). Yeah comp mode would suffice but I ran into a problem with a CEL every time I would get on the throttle hard. I kept telling myself it had something to do with Comp mode so I started driving with all nannies off and never got a CEL. Of course the CEL ended up being a bad Spark Plug but I never went back to Comp Mode. Nothing to do with ego.
Was going to say - if a CEL comes on when Stabilitrak kicks in there might be something else wrong.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Cooley

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Hmm, ever wonder how we got around before cars had "nannies.'?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #33
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
just because a person turns everything off doesnt mean that they are gonna do something stupid, i turn mine off everytime that i drive the car, i was also in LE for 10 years and have been in more high speed pursuits then i can count. the only time that i leave the nannies on is in inclimate weather "rain or snow". the way that i see it, if i have the power available,i want it. if a person is gonna say that its stupid to turn them off, say that people with egos do it, or because they are wreckless needs to drive a prius
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #34
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
just because a person turns everything off doesnt mean that they are gonna do something stupid, i turn mine off everytime that i drive the car, i was also in LE for 10 years and have been in more high speed pursuits then i can count. the only time that i leave the nannies on is in inclimate weather "rain or snow". the way that i see it, if i have the power available,i want it. if a person is gonna say that its stupid to turn them off, say that people with egos do it, or because they are wreckless needs to drive a prius
Yes, but most people have never taken EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) let alone have hands on experience in high-speed evasive driving.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Yes, but most people have never taken EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) let alone have hands on experience in high-speed evasive driving.
So what you're saying is that it's OK for somebody that has taken those courses to disable the nannies, but anyone else that does it is acting irresponsibly or is a tough guy?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
So what you're saying is that it's OK for somebody that has taken those courses to disable the nannies, but anyone else that does it is acting irresponsibly or is a tough guy?
No. I was trying to be diplomatic with my response. If the guy is comfortable driving with the nannies off that fine, I still will think you're being dumb. But that's MY opinion - and I am well aware that no matter what I say you'll continue to drive with the nannies off.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
No. I was trying to be diplomatic with my response. If the guy is comfortable driving with the nannies off that fine, I still will think you're being dumb. But that's MY opinion - and I am well aware that no matter what I say you'll continue to drive with the nannies off.

Let me ask you a question:

have you ever been driving with the nannies on, felt the car start to slip, and then done nothing to correct becasue you know the nannies are there?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #38
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
Hmm, ever wonder how we got around before cars had "nannies.'?

I wonder how we ever got buy without electricity before, maybe we should get rid of that too so we can prove we're "real men"

could play this game all day long
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
The Stig

Quote:
Let me ask you a question:

have you ever been driving with the nannies on, felt the car start to slip, and then done nothing to correct becasue you know the nannies are there?
No. When the car starts to slip (or what-have-you) I left off the throttle and do my best to correct myself/the car.

Call me a wuss for leaving the nannies on or whatever - I'd rather them be there for the one time I actually need them, then them not be there at all.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
No. When the car starts to slip (or what-have-you) I left off the throttle and do my best to correct myself/the car.

Call me a wuss for leaving the nannies on or whatever - I'd rather them be there for the one time I actually need them, then them not be there at all.

No- wouldn't call you a wuss. But I did know the answer before I asked the question

I would say that we would agree on the necessity of the nanny controls, but disagree on their use.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #41
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
I have mixed feelings about the nannies, however I leave them on unless I want to do something they dont allow me to do. (example: burnout, get sideways in a turn) otherwise there is no reason to disable them.

One time I took a corner with too much gas, the back end kicked out and I corrected for it before the nannies did, once they did however it caused the rearend to kick out the other way and my nose to go into the next lane. I was confused on this so I went back to that corner and got out of my car to go look. There was a mixture of what looked like antifreeze and oil there. It was slippery to walk on!

Not sure if I would of controlled the car better without nannies and not sure if the nannies saved me from going up the curb.
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
The Stig

Quote:
No- wouldn't call you a wuss. But I did know the answer before I asked the question

I would say that we would agree on the necessity of the nanny controls, but disagree on their use.
Absolutely. Couldn't a agree.