Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #15
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Yeah, the thread size is off and our shifters are not threaded, saw a pic and it was just a long slot w/no threads. I have no clue how to get it off either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I wonder if you could et something that wouldn't require being threaded on, maybe a couple of set screws and that would be enough? I have the hurst pistol grip shifter on my car. I don't like how hurst cut out the sides to put their name. I wish they would have just put there name engraved instead of cutting out a big oval on both sides. I've thought about trying to fill that in some how and having it repainted.

Also the hurst upper stick attachment is a bit long for this type of handle, wish I could find a shorter one.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
EPCO makes shifter balls with the right adapter for the 13+ shifters. I asked them if they made a T-handle before i got a ball and they said no. I know its not a T handle but its the best option I found for the new shifter style
http://www.epcoshiftknobs.com/

And to remove the knob you slide the boot up slightly then twist like the pattern on my stock knob below. There will be a set screw you take out then it just slides off the top.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I have no clue how to get it off either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gently pry up on console cover (it just snaps in) and set it aside (there are some wires running to it, but it will slide over to the passenger foot well).

take out four screws that hold down shift boot. There is a zip tie on inside of the boot that gathers the boot around the shift knob.

pull up on shift knob until it comes off, you have pull pretty hard.

The best way to thread the stock shifter is to remove it from the car and put it in a vise. The shaft is 14mm. Jac-Fab did a DIY on this.

However, given the contents of this thread, it might be better to just buy an aftermarket shifter with a threaded shaft and put a t-handle on, although it would cost a couple hundred dollars more.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #19
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Gently pry up on console cover (it just snaps in) and set it aside (there are some wires running to it, but it will slide over to the passenger foot well).

take out four screws that hold down shift boot. There is a zip tie on inside of the boot that gathers the boot around the shift knob.

pull up on shift knob until it comes off, you have pull pretty hard.

The best way to thread the stock shifter is to remove it from the car and put it in a vise. The shaft is 14mm. Jac-Fab did a DIY on this.

However, given the contents of this thread, it might be better to just buy an aftermarket shifter with a threaded shaft and put a t-handle on, although it would cost a couple hundred dollars more.
OP has a 15. he can pull as hard as he wants but its not going anywhere without taking the set screw out
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote