Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
2010ABM

Drives: 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Challenger Test Drive Experience

Well, today I decided that I was going to test drive a Challenger, just to see what it was like before I go through with ordering a Camaro in a few weeks. The first problem was that the dealer was a total a$$. I had to deal with two salesman (one of which argued with me about the price of the Camaro, and told me that it was a plastic piece of crap -- not kidding), then I had to speak with the sales manager, then FINALLY the sales director. The sales manager told me that I was only allowed to drive the car with the salesman (leaving my two friends at the dealership), and that I was to stay off the highway and let the salesman drive it off the lot and switch seats with him once we were out of the lot. I should have walked out when the first salesman started arguing with me, but I just kept smiling and nodding my head. So finally I get to drive this thing. Now, it was only the R/T, not the SRT, but it had the 5.7L Hemi, and the first salesman said that compared to the Camaro this car was better, "hands down". YA RIGHT! I did not like the Challenger one bit. The exterior is beautiful, but the interior is a typical Dodge interior, and is wayyyyyy to bland for me. The motor didn't produce NEAR enough power for the heavy car, and the steering felt unresponsive. The brakes seemed to work well, but I just wasn't getting a warm feeling from it. So after tooling around on the access road -- the only place they allowed me to drive it -- I took it back to the lot and told the salesman I would contact him if I was looking to buy one. Thursday I'm going out to my Chevy dealer, and talking to my salesman there about ordering a 2011. I've driven the Mustang GT, the Challenger R/T, and the Camaro SS, and the Camaro had me from the very beginning. I've always been a GM guy, and I guess I always will be!
2010ABM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
Or you could buy mine for less....LOL http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72809 Well... if you can stand the cloth seats that is.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
wise choice.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
The R/T is a completely different car than the SRT8!

I know...I own one! The SRT8, while more expensive than it should be in my opinion, is a damn fine automobile! The R/T does not have the suspension, brakes, 6.1 or so many other things that the SRT does.

I know all the mags compared the Camaro SS to the R/T and based on price alone, they were right! But the SRT is more in line as far as performance, comfort, power, feel and everything else. (I didn't say it was faster!)

Not trying to sell you on a Challenger, just feel you didn't get treated right at that dealer and didn't get a fair comparison (other than price) of the Challenger.

Hey...I own a Camaro SS too...wife has the Challenger...both are great cars, both are well worth the money...yes, even the Challenger SRT8...at least in my opinion!

When we went to buy ours they never acted all butt hurt or anything...handed the keys to my wife and I and off we went. Highway, access roads...didn't matter. Said go drive it and see if you like it! We did!

Just an honest opinion of the Challenger. I love my Camaro SS...love it! But the Challenger is very nice as well!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
2010ABM

Legend, I feel ya. You are a great voice of reason when it comes to this topic since you own both of them. I probably would have enjoyed the SRT much more, it's just a little out of my price range. And the R/T just doesn't live up to the SS in my opinion. I have nothing against Dodge, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, anything American made. I just think the SS has the best bang for the buck!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010ABM View Post
Well, today I decided that I was going to test drive a Challenger, just to see what it was like before I go through with ordering a Camaro in a few weeks. The first problem was that the dealer was a total a$$. I had to deal with two salesman (one of which argued with me about the price of the Camaro, and told me that it was a plastic piece of crap -- not kidding), then I had to speak with the sales manager, then FINALLY the sales director. The sales manager told me that I was only allowed to drive the car with the salesman (leaving my two friends at the dealership), and that I was to stay off the highway and let the salesman drive it off the lot and switch seats with him once we were out of the lot. I should have walked out when the first salesman started arguing with me, but I just kept smiling and nodding my head. So finally I get to drive this thing. Now, it was only the R/T, not the SRT, but it had the 5.7L Hemi, and the first salesman said that compared to the Camaro this car was better, "hands down". YA RIGHT! I did not like the Challenger one bit. The exterior is beautiful, but the interior is a typical Dodge interior, and is wayyyyyy to bland for me. The motor didn't produce NEAR enough power for the heavy car, and the steering felt unresponsive. The brakes seemed to work well, but I just wasn't getting a warm feeling from it. So after tooling around on the access road -- the only place they allowed me to drive it -- I took it back to the lot and told the salesman I would contact him if I was looking to buy one. Thursday I'm going out to my Chevy dealer, and talking to my salesman there about ordering a 2011. I've driven the Mustang GT, the Challenger R/T, and the Camaro SS, and the Camaro had me from the very beginning. I've always been a GM guy, and I guess I always will be!
since you are open minded, you should wait to check out the 2011 GT seeing as how they'll be out soon now.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
since you are open minded, you should wait to check out the 2011 GT seeing as how they'll be out soon now.

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
The R/T is a completely different car than the SRT8!

I know...I own one! The SRT8, while more expensive than it should be in my opinion, is a damn fine automobile! The R/T does not have the suspension, brakes, 6.1 or so many other things that the SRT does.

I know all the mags compared the Camaro SS to the R/T and based on price alone, they were right! But the SRT is more in line as far as performance, comfort, power, feel and everything else. (I didn't say it was faster!)

Not trying to sell you on a Challenger, just feel you didn't get treated right at that dealer and didn't get a fair comparison (other than price) of the Challenger.

Hey...I own a Camaro SS too...wife has the Challenger...both are great cars, both are well worth the money...yes, even the Challenger SRT8...at least in my opinion!

When we went to buy ours they never acted all butt hurt or anything...handed the keys to my wife and I and off we went. Highway, access roads...didn't matter. Said go drive it and see if you like it! We did!

Just an honest opinion of the Challenger. I love my Camaro SS...love it! But the Challenger is very nice as well!
You (Legend) walked in to the dealer and I'm guessing the following things happened in the dealers mind...

Dealer thinks to himself. Here comes someone carrying themselves well. With their wife not friends. Not looking to waste my time which is based on commission to joyride one of my most popular cars with their friends.

My dealer tossed me the keys and the Miss and I took her out for a spin. No questions asked. And then I came back and bought it and didnt say "see you later".

I'm thinking something about the OP tipped off the dealer that this was going to be the result before you ever asked to drive the challenger. It's why they didnt want to risk it out on the street, putting miles on it, to someone they had a strong feeling was not a serious buyer.

Whether this is true or not, who knows... maybe the whole dealership is manned by a-holes.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You (Legend) walked in to the dealer and I'm guessing the following things happened in the dealers mind...

Dealer thinks to himself. Here comes someone carrying themselves well. With their wife not friends. Not looking to waste my time which is based on commission to joyride one of my most popular cars with their friends.

My dealer tossed me the keys and the Miss and I took her out for a spin. No questions asked. And then I came back and bought it and didnt say "see you later".

I'm thinking something about the OP tipped off the dealer that this was going to be the result before you ever asked to drive the challenger. It's why they didnt want to risk it out on the street, putting miles on it, to someone they had a strong feeling was not a serious buyer.

Whether this is true or not, who knows... maybe the whole dealership is manned by a-holes.
+1
I can completely see it being that. I worked at a dealership before and this does happen too, could be they sensed the "stroker" in him.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
I just wanted to add that it is funny that the chevy dealership and the dodge dealerships are right next to each other where I live. I went to my dealership im my camaro and then stopped at a small resturant next to the dodge dealership. Not one, not two but three different people took challengers for test drives and stopped, parked the challenger next to my car and got out and checked both cars out. It is funny how the sexy look of the camaro can turn peoples heads....I never see anyone straining their necks to get a better look at a challenger....
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
2010ABM

Well, while I may have walked in with friends, not a wife -- didn't realize it was a requirement to be married to buy a Dodge -- I was polite, honest, and very respectfully told them that I was buying a new vehicle in the next two months. I told them, "It's either gonna be a Challenger or a Camaro, so I'm here to make my decision". I understand you think I might have gone into the dealership acting like a moron, saying "Man it sure would be nice if I could own that Challenger...can I take it for a drive?" No, no, no. I did just the opposite to try to prevent exactly what happened. This is not my first time being present for a vehicle purchase, as a matter of fact, the people at the Cadillac dealership and the Chevy dealerships know me well, and never give me any trouble. If I had made myself look like an uninterested buyer, than maybe I could understand their reasoning. But, when you tell them, "I am buying in the next two months, it's either this car or a Camaro" you would think that might spike attention, not bring out the worst in the dealer. Why does it seem like every time I post a thread on this site to ask a question or share an experience somebody jumps my ass?! Sure not a very nice way to welcome somebody here that is trying to get involved.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I test drove the challenger r/t also and didn't like the way it responded to steering inputs especially under acceleration. It felt heavy, the suspension was saggy and the interior is not even close to being retro or even sporty for that matter. The exterior IMO captures the "heritage" look though.

They gave me a little bit of trouble at the dealership also, I was with my ex at the time so I told the salesman he could sit in the back haha. After going to grab the keys one of the owners came out and just said take it for a spin alone it's ok. He did say it was their policy though, and that he was making an exception.

I don't think the guys were trying to jump you. If you look at it through the salesmans eyes you don't need 2 buddies there with you to talk financing or sign papers. To him it may seem that you guys were bored and wanted to go for a ride. How is he supposed to know you're not trying to feed him a line. I think all that the guys were trying to say is if you've got a significant other you can go with that person, or go by yourself. It just portrays the image of "serious buyer" a little better than with a few buddies.
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #13
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
The guys aren't trying to get on you; you have to look at it that it is VERY common for 2-3 young males (usually in the collage age group and acting as such) to walk into a car dealership to try and get one of these cars to drive around in.

Regardless of ifs ands or buts, that's their vehicle and an investment for the business, they're just trying to protect it.

I understand that you were probably very nice and polite, but some people just can't be swayed. Maybe they've had it happen before?

It only takes one bad apple... to shit on everyone elses parade.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Here recently we had a salesman shot during a test drive by a guy trying to steal the car.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote