Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Camaro154

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO IOM
Question 2012 Camaro 2ss auto vs. manual

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi to everone out there. I have spent several hours on the forum and this is a great community. I have a huge problem right now. I am having my credit ran as I speak and I can't decide on a Auto trans in victory red or getting the manual in ashen grey metallic. I have been searching through the forum all day and have not found a concrete answer on if the manual or the auto is faster. My wife wants to drive the car sometimes but doesn't know how to drive stick. This means if I get the manual she will learn in the camaro ss :/ Based off your experiences is the auto or manual faster. This will be my last opportunity to buy a car so I want to make sure I make the right decision. All opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Camaro154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
camarophinatic47

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS
the manual has more hp than the auto i wanted a manual but wife wanted to drive sometimes who can blame them its a sexy car so i went with auto i was not going to risk a ruined clutch so she could learn and then not be able to get it fixed so it mad more sense for me to go auto but also in auto there is no shift lag and i know its not the same but the auto has the paddle shift feature so you can still do "manual" hope this helps
camarophinatic47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Camaro154

Yeah I read about the paddle shift feature. I just have been torn like everyone else that has been in my shoes. I just hate the fact you loose the addition horse power with the auto but from what I read some believe the auto is faster in a straight line. Obviously the stick is more fun in corners.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
From what I've read the biggest difference is the LS3 engine that comes with the manual over the L99 that comes with the auto.

It appears the LS3 is much friendlier with bolt-on upgrades and modifications if you ever decide to do that with the vehicle.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Camaro154

Thats a fact I didn't know thanks for posting it. The bolt ons are always great because they are easy. I will be doing this in the future so I must wieght that in my decision.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
If you leave it totally stock the manual is faster... once you do mods and go to the drag strip the Auto is faster. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

...and Welcome to C5... hang out a while and I'm sure you will get lots of good answers
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Camaro154

Thanks for the great advice I am absorbing it all from those who know best!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
From what I've read the biggest difference is the LS3 engine that comes with the manual over the L99 that comes with the auto.

It appears the LS3 is much friendlier with bolt-on upgrades and modifications if you ever decide to do that with the vehicle.
Actually the bolt-ons are the exactly the same for either car until you get into swapping cams and there's really not that big of a difference there either. Do some reading on Displacement on Demand or Active Fuel Management which is basically the only difference between an LS3 and and L99.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
Camaro154

I read about afm and people complaining about the noise in the exhaust. I do city driving so I will be on the gas for the most part. When on the highway I don't think I will mind the AFM kicking in with the price of gas nowadays. Mlee what trans did you get and what gas mileage are you averaging?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro154 View Post
I read about afm and people complaining about the noise in the exhaust. I do city driving so I will be on the gas for the most part. When on the highway I don't think I will mind the AFM kicking in with the price of gas nowadays. Mlee what trans did you get and what gas mileage are you averaging?
I've had two autos... as long as you don't put certain aftermarket exhaust systems on you won't hear the low groan that AFM puts out when it goes into 4 cylinders. The factory exhaust has a resonator to eliminate that. Corsa is also one that comes with a resonator in the X-pipe that works very well. I had it on both my cars and never had a problem. Just wanted you to be aware and be smart on your exhaust choices if you go Auto. The first mod most do is exhaust to get rid of the large trash can mufflers out back.

As far as MPG... stock was 22 then after a tune it went up to 25 w/ AFM still turned on. After headers when on, I turned off AFM and lost a couple MPG.

Now I have a manual and sort of wish it was an auto... my wife can drive it, but not comfortably, so she never does any more. I also want the auto for the drag strip...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
camarophinatic47

phaseteck.com has a lot of nice mods i was just looking at eddle brock e force superchargers they have bolt ons for both ls3 and l99 nice looking eaither one you end up nwith you will love trust me it all comes down to do you want your wife to learn a manual in that nice of a car i know i didnt so i went auto lol
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarophinatic47 View Post
phaseteck.com has a lot of nice mods i was just looking at eddle brock e force superchargers they have bolt ons for both ls3 and l99 nice looking eaither one you end up nwith you will love trust me it all comes down to do you want your wife to learn a manual in that nice of a car i know i didnt so i went auto lol
Jason and Sean at Phastek are awesome... they support our Camaro club here as well..
Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #13
camarophinatic47

i get on that site all the time to check out mods it is a really good website good prices to

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Well i have a auto SS and i love it but i chose it cause i do drive in traffic alot and do some stop and go so having a manual was a no go for that reason. If i didnt have a lot of traffic i would have went with the Manual its a lil more fun to drive and the Clutch isnt that bad to learn on easy to use imo.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, auto, camaro, manual, trans