Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #169
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
If the ZL1 is warrantied on the track (as long as the proper maintenance is done) why wouldn't it be any different for the Z/28? OH that's right, you're new here and you probably didn't know that
That is pretty cool thing on GM's part. Another selling point.
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #170
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris632 View Post
there are a lot of great options at this price point and those cars will probably make better track cars than the Z/28

Which is why I think GM has a very small window to fit this car in.

If they can make it 55k or less - they will sell a lot of them
yup. exactly my thinking. there is no car in this class, so it will be hard to sell. and for its price there are many faster cars with more luxuries to it. track ready or not....a GTR is by no means a dedicated track car, yet it will destroy a Z28...no doubt in my mind.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #171
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
If you really believe that you are going to be VERY VERY surprised when the Z/28 starts posting lap times.
believe me, there are a lot better option for track cars than the 70k z28.....ariel atom.....
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #172
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I don't think it's so much that they will make better track cars so much as many of them will be legal for actual competition racing. That and that along is why GM has a small window to fit with this car. The Z/28 will more than likely not be sanctioned... Unless GM really wanted to try and go out if their way and get it sanctioned...
its not legal for competition racing...it will need a roll cage. and much more....
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #173
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I think what he's trying to say is that when someone starts comparing something slightly used versus something new is like comparing apples to oranges. The old doesn't have the benefits of the new in regards to things like warranty, for example.
sure it does. every car other than my ss has been used and still retained a full warranty.... the z28 will not be able to compete in any races right off the show room floor. it needs much more to it to make it a true race car. that being said, were looking at track day cars for fun. in this category under 70 k....that opens up all kinds of doors. id rather buy a new spec Miata and race it than a z28......
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #174
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Sorry but maintenance on that Z will be right there with the Porsche
yup! and id rather drive the Porsche.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #175
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post

Lol, just kidding.
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #176
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
My dealer told me $64,485. Also told me my blinker fluid was low and my muffler bearings needed adjusting. Also does anyone know what a duofluctometer is? Apparently mine's in need of replacing.
LMAO!!!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #177
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
You've obviously never owned a Porsche...
Nope. Never owned one. I'm purely speculating here. If I'm wrong ill say I'm wrong.

But as I and others have stated, if you're looking to ACTUALLY race and compete for money, sponsorship ect. There's plenty other classes out there for the price ppl are saying you'll pay for this "Race car." In my eyes, it makes no sense to price it near other very street able track performers. I think perhaps they will, but you're just paying more for the rarity and nastalgia of the car and not so much of the track race car it's purpose is built for. I'm not saying the car won't perform well or that if it was a cheaper price than what will probably be asked that I wouldn't own one. Logic is that this being a race car, it should be in the top 5 street driven track cars. Nothing less. After all it was purpose built meaning it should annihilate 80% of the street cars on the track. Right? At least until auto makers up their game on their track cars to make it an even race again or even out perform it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #178
2010_5thgen

well put wizard
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #179
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
60-65k MSRP. Leaning more towards 60-62k
I will agree with that!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #180
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
a GTR is by no means a dedicated track car, yet it will destroy a Z28...no doubt in my mind.
Plenty of doubt in my mind and I've been running SCCA Time-Trials against a GT-R for three years. What's your track experience again? My expectation is to run faster laps than a GT-R.

Furthermore...GT-R in hot weather will run maybe a couple laps at 8/10's or more before it overheats and goes into engine protect mode. At which point it becomes a rolling chicane. With all the extra coolers, there is no reason the NA Z/28 shouldn't run strong all trackday long.

I don't give a crap about a one-lap-wonder, I want a trackday car that will run all day long and then drive it home.

Quote:
believe me, there are a lot better option for track cars than the 70k z28.....ariel atom.....
Ariel Atom is a very fine track car choice! "Light is right" and the cheap cost to run it is a beautiful thing.

But it is a 180 degree difference from a romping stomping hand-built, high-revving torque monster 427 engine in a car with huge brakes and professional level damping.

Some of us will enjoy both experiences for the unique joys each has to offer.

Quote:
And some of us who have been driving Porsche's (GT3's) are looking forward to Z/28 ownership. Grass may not be as green across the fence as you think it is. Hope you have a mighty fat wallet to pay the running cost of that Porsche. A GT3 on average will cost you $3000-4000 per track day. $3000-4000 per hour if you are consistent 8/10's+. Not including the event fee, insurance and/or any mechanical failures, agricultural excursion damage, or contact with other objects.

Quote:
But as I and others have stated, if you're looking to ACTUALLY race and compete for money, sponsorship ect. There's plenty other classes out there for the price ppl are saying you'll pay for this "Race car." Logic is that this being a race car, it should be in the top 5 street driven track cars. Nothing less. After all it was purpose built meaning it should annihilate 80% of the street cars on the track. Right?
Jezus guys, the Z/28 is not a race car. It is a track day car. If you don't understand the difference, then please figure it out. Apples/oranges. I am not being ugly or making a personal attack, but please understand the meaning of the terminology you are using.

Race car is not a Trackday car.

It will run faster laps on a road course than 95% of other street cars in OE trim vs OE trim. Watch and see.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #181
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Plenty of doubt in my mind and I've been running SCCA Time-Trials against a GT-R for three years. What's your track experience again? My expectation is to run faster laps than a GT-R.

Furthermore...GT-R in hot weather will run maybe a couple laps at 8/10's or more before it overheats and goes into engine protect mode. At which point it becomes a rolling chicane. With all the extra coolers, there is no reason the NA Z/28 shouldn't run strong all trackday long.

I don't give a crap about a one-lap-wonder, I want a trackday car that will run all day long and then drive it home.

Ariel Atom is a very fine track car choice! "Light is right" and the cheap cost to run it is a beautiful thing.

But it is a 180 degree difference from a romping stomping hand-built, high-revving torque monster 427 engine in a car with huge brakes and professional level damping.

Some of us will enjoy both experiences for the unique joys each has to offer.

And some of us who have been driving Porsche's (GT3's) are looking forward to Z/28 ownership. Grass may not be as green across the fence as you think it is. Hope you have a mighty fat wallet to pay the running cost of that Porsche. A GT3 on average will cost you $3000-4000 per track day. $3000-4000 per hour if you are consistent 8/10's+. Not including the event fee, insurance and/or any mechanical failures, agricultural excursion damage, or contact with other objects.

Jezus guys, the Z/28 is not a race car. It is a track day car. If you don't understand the difference, then please figure it out. Apples/oranges. I am not being ugly or making a personal attack, but please understand the meaning of the terminology you are using.

It will run faster laps on a road course than 95% of other street cars in OE trim vs OE trim. Watch and see.

Well damn, not trying to be sarcastic but isn't the track made to race? And it's sole purpose, the track? It just happens to be a street legal car. Ls7 is a race engine. And many ppl on this very board have been calling it a race car which is why I use the term. And yes OEM vs OEM, it should outperform 95%. It better! We shall see.

I agree with one thing, it's made to race all day without fade or heating up.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #182
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Well damn, not trying to be sarcastic but isn't the track made to race? And it's sole purpose, the track? It just happens to be a street legal car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote