Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
daniel@txangl.com

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,09 G8 GXP,00 TA
Another Possible Drive Train issue?

So I have a little over 2000 miles on the SS. I have noticed at times with backing out, especially at an angle that it "feels" like the front wheels are slipping for a split second as if they were on gravel or sand. I really did not think anything of it at first, but have noticed this to be occuring randomly, but more and more often. It is almost as if the ABS is kicking in for no reason and the car gets a shudder in the front end. These are slow speeds out of the driveway.

Anyone noticed this?

Also, and more concerning, TODAY, I am backing out and I get all the way out of the drive way when I hear and feel what I can best describe as a loud boom, thunk, in the bottom of the car. I actually thought I hit something. Nope, did not hit anything, did not go off the curb, nothing. I throught "I just broke a #$#$ing halfshaft or output shaft". Nope, car drove fine all day. No leaks, no issues, nothing. Guys it felt like the rearend broke a tooth or something, but it seems fine. I know everyone is going to say "take it to the dealer" but WTF are they going to do if nothing is actually broken? Could this be the start of the M6 issue? Could this be a driveshaft alignment issue noted as a "line boom noise? Any GM folks on the board that can shed some light on this?

BTW, I am not rough with my cars. I do get on them, but I am not one to do a hard 4800 RPM, drop clutch, burn tires etc. I broke my car in to 1500mi, had the oil changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic, etc. I have never even turned on "competition mode".

What do you guys think?

Daniel
daniel@txangl.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Hard to say really without getting in there and seeing it or being at the dealer and the car repeating the same thing...just for shi!ts and giggles...what is you VIN?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
daniel@txangl.com

Vin is in the 6600's
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
nassau97

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 97 Vette 91 Vette
If I were you, I'd drop the hammer on it. If something is going to break, let it break under warranty. When mine finally gets here I plan to run it hard and get the bugs out early. Just me though, some folks baby their cars far more than I do. Hope you get your boom clunk taken care of.
nassau97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
daniel@txangl.com

It's only done it once...so far. We will see.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
orangeinfernoman

Drives: 2010 camaro ss ls3 iom
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@txangl.com View Post
So I have a little over 2000 miles on the SS. I have noticed at times with backing out, especially at an angle that it "feels" like the front wheels are slipping for a split second as if they were on gravel or sand. I really did not think anything of it at first, but have noticed this to be occuring randomly, but more and more often. It is almost as if the ABS is kicking in for no reason and the car gets a shudder in the front end. These are slow speeds out of the driveway.

Anyone noticed this?

Also, and more concerning, TODAY, I am backing out and I get all the way out of the drive way when I hear and feel what I can best describe as a loud boom, thunk, in the bottom of the car. I actually thought I hit something. Nope, did not hit anything, did not go off the curb, nothing. I throught "I just broke a #$#$ing halfshaft or output shaft". Nope, car drove fine all day. No leaks, no issues, nothing. Guys it felt like the rearend broke a tooth or something, but it seems fine. I know everyone is going to say "take it to the dealer" but WTF are they going to do if nothing is actually broken? Could this be the start of the M6 issue? Could this be a driveshaft alignment issue noted as a "line boom noise? Any GM folks on the board that can shed some light on this?

BTW, I am not rough with my cars. I do get on them, but I am not one to do a hard 4800 RPM, drop clutch, burn tires etc. I broke my car in to 1500mi, had the oil changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic, etc. I have never even turned on "competition mode".

What do you guys think?

Daniel
YES ME TOO SOMETIME I EAR A SOUND LIKE IF A GRAVEL OR SMALL ROCK KNOCK the floor of the trunk or something like that ,but does matter

for the power train problem ,dont worry,when it will arrived you will know for sure

for your front end,,no!!!!!!!!!!! i feel something ,when i turn a corner i have the impression that all the rear end want go outside,bizard feeling
orangeinfernoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
maybe your lsd is broke and both rear axles are locked together not letting one wheel slip when turning until enough pressure is put on it then it then bang ihad a truck that would drive fine straight but once turning slow in a parking lot it would bang like someone was under the truck with a sledge hammer truck ended up needing a rear
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
daniel@txangl.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
maybe your lsd is broke and both rear axles are locked together not letting one wheel slip when turning until enough pressure is put on it then it then bang ihad a truck that would drive fine straight but once turning slow in a parking lot it would bang like someone was under the truck with a sledge hammer truck ended up needing a rear
That's kind of what I was thinking. Does anyone know if we have "worm gears" or clutch packs in our limited slip?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
sir5er

Drives: 2SS 2010 Camaro, 2007 Acura TL
Quote:

Anyone noticed this?

What do you guys think?

Daniel
WOW! THE SAME THING HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME FROM ABOUT THE FIRST WEEK I GOT MY 2SS MANUAL. IT WON'T DO IT ALL THE TIME BUT LIKE YOU SAID, "RANDOMLY." I DID GO TO MY DEALER AND GOT THE SHOP FOREMAN TO GET IN TO TAKE A DRIVE WITH ME. AS I TOOK HIM ON A SHORT DRIVE HOPING ALL ALONG THAT IT WOULD MAKE THE NOISE WHEN I BACKED UP, IT DID. IT WASN'T AS SEVERE OR AS LONG AS IT NORMALLY IS BUT HE DID HEAR IT. HE HAD NO CLUE AS TO WHAT IT COULD BE. THE WAY I DESCRIBED IT TO HIM BEFORE WE TOOK THE DRIVE IS THE ABS. THE MORE IT HAPPENS AND MY HUSBAND IS WITH ME HE SAYS IT'S DIFFINATELY NOT THE ABS. I'VE ALSO HAD OTHER ISSUES THAT I BELIEVE TO BE MY TRANSMISSION. THERE'S A LOT OF KNOCKING WITH ACCELERATION IN BETWEEN SHIFTS. I DON'T HAVE TO BE GOING FAST OR GETTING MY RPMS REAL HIGH IN BETWEEN SHIFTS EITHER. IT HAPPENS WHETHER IT'S DURING NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS OR IF I WANNA FEEL SOME POWER. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR THAT PROBLEM ALSO AND THEY HEARD IT AS "I" DROVE IT AND HE SAID THAT DIDN'T SOUND GOOD AT ALL. THEY KEPT MY CAR FOR THE DAY BUT IN THE END, THEY SAID THEY COULD NEVER FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. SO I TOOK IT TO A DIFFERENT CHEVY DEALERSHIP AND THEY ALSO WENT ON A DRIVE WITH ME. I DIDN'T TELL THEM I HAD ALREADY TAKEN IT TO THE OTHER ONE. THAT GUY ALSO HEARD IT AND GOT ON HIS CELL AND CALLED A GM REP. THE REP SAID THAT THE NOISE WAS NORMAL AND THE CORVETTES ALSO HAVE THAT SAME NOISE. HE SAID THAT IT HAS TO WORK HARD FOR A CAR WITH THAT MUCH HORSE AND THAT IT WAS NORMAL. I SAY BULLSHIT TO THAT. NO ONE I HAVE EVER HEARD OF HAS THAT PROBLEM WITH THEIR CORVETTE. SO THAT WAS THAT. SO I GUESS WE HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE CAR BREAKS DOWN TOTALLY BEFORE ANY F#$#@%$G THING CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT.
sir5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
sir5er

Drives: 2SS 2010 Camaro, 2007 Acura TL
OH, AND AS FAR AS THE LOUD BOOM YOU DESCRIBE, THAT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME BECAUSE THAT SOUND EXTREMELY MAJOR. KEEP US UP TO DATE ON WHAT YOU FIND OUT OR IF ANYTHING ELSE HAPPENS.
sir5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
daniel@txangl.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir5er View Post
OH, AND AS FAR AS THE LOUD BOOM YOU DESCRIBE, THAT SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME BECAUSE THAT SOUND EXTREMELY MAJOR. KEEP US UP TO DATE ON WHAT YOU FIND OUT OR IF ANYTHING ELSE HAPPENS.
I honostly think that the "boom" was the limited slip OR, the drive shaft catching something. I have NOT been able to get it to do that again. I have tried (back out of the driveway everyday :-) ). I think as this GM transmission FUBAR comes to light, that this will be resolved and more people will come forward with issues imilar to ours as they get more miles on the cars and more cars sold.

Thank you for your responses. You are much apprecaited.

Daniel
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
Funny to here this on the SS M6. I had the same problem in my 2LT/RS. And now it's in the Chevy Dealership for a week.
Krozzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
I honostly think that the "boom" was the limited slip OR, the drive shaft catching something. I have NOT been able to get it to do that again. I have tried (back out of the driveway everyday :-) ).
Ok, this also happened to me yesterday. Backing out, heard a loud noise from under the car. Checked for leaks, nothing. I have only heard this once.
I can't get it to do it again. The car is driving fine.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
I haven't got my car yet so I have nothing to compare it to, but if it's making a loud noise I would agree with the others and say its the LSD.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote