Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
If its on the internet it's real.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
In my opinion, the addition of a CAI is simply a single part of a total package that needs to be added.

The amount of air you can pass through an engine is what determines the amount of power that an engine can produce. Now thats a very simplistic statement but lets keep it simple here.

If you want to get more power, you need more air, so you free up the intake (CAI) and you free up the exhaust with LT headers, HF cats and custom cat back exhaust.

If you really want to boost the power you do both these things and add either a freeer breathing cam or a forced air induction system.

If you want to get crazy, you do both to cram as much air through the engine as possible, of course mixed with the proper amount of fuel.

Simply put, the CAI is one feature that needs to be used in conjunction with many other items to get the best gains from your engine.

Putting a CAI on a stock car with no other changes would likely not make much difference at all, especially on a very small 2.0 L engine.

There have been so many reputable shops here on C5 that have done test after test proving what the CAI actually do that its kind of a waste of time to debate it anymore. Been proven by quality third party testers.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Did anyone notice something inappropriate at 2:17?
Lol I had to watch that was to funny
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #18
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Those guys are just gay (true story). Dumbass too.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #20
Gunslinger09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Wrong. It's been proven over and over on the dyno and the track.
Yep.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #21
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Having spent 15 years selling cold air kits for every imaginable car, I have yet to have anyone complain about them. I have personally seen track times and dyno pulls on everything from a Dodge Dynasty to a Duramax z71 that confirm more power.

I added a CAI brand intake to my 2SS the other day and so far it doesn't feel any stronger to me, but it's much smoother taking off now with almost no jerk like to used to be if I was lazy off the clutch, but I can confirm my gas mileage has gone up 2mpg, so it's definitely doing something.
Dupree878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
That is funny.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
Easiest way to pick up a good bit of power. I'll be glad to do a before/after if anyone wants a dyno session!
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Not sure if this was posted, but I feel maybe a little foolish in buying my CAI. But I guess it makes the car sound better...

1. For everything that you believe in, or has been tested, or proven, I can probably find something on the internet that says the exact opposite, that does not mean it is true. This goes for everything from landing on the moon to people who can "test" and prove that we live in a matrix. Take things with a grain of salt.

2. Also anyone who knows anything about testing knows that controlled and non controlled variables play a huge result in your findings, meaning I can test the same thing 2 different ways and get 2 different sets of results.

3. I am pretty sure that I would put a little more faith in the testing and proven results from hundreds of car builders, drag racers, engine builders, speed shops, and thousands of happy customers over 2 guys who get paid to test things to capture an audience for ratings.

4. I would put a little more stock into testing like this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002

Have a little faith in the guys who do Cold Air Intakes for a living, and test things every day, not 2 guys working for a TV show. That being said, rest assured your CAI is giving you more power, and well worth your investment.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
There's a lot of good ass grabbing goin' on there!
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Anybody do long term testing on intakes ?

I have heard some negative things without tuning with intakes. long term.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

I have never heard of that before, and we work with a lot of people who have been around this stuff a long time. I am not sure how increased filtration and less restriced airflow could have any negative effect, short or long term. The MAF is adjusting your fuel trims according to what it is taking in, and if you are not getting a CEL then the trims are within the parameters of what the computer will allow without getting a new tune, so I don't see how anything could have negative impact?
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
yup i have been ridiculed on many threads for saying cais are over rated.
Depends on your definition of overrated. Does anyone get a 20% increase? Hell no, that's just rediculous. The better CAI's for the Camaro gain around 3.5%, or 15whp. Some may call that rediculous but the math works out to to around $23/HP which is a BARGAIN in anyones book. Also, as someone else posted, a CAI is just part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Looks like they do concede a 1.5% power gain!! But it will take a bit more than that to shake up the times at the track. Apparently it would take more than 10% or 40 HP increase to really make a difference. FAR more than the gains from my CAI even claims. Again, I'm fine with my purchase. It looks cool and sounds better. If I really want to shake things up I'll get a supercharger instead!
Who says it takes 40+whp to make a difference at the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

As CAI said, all they are doing is maximizing the airflow through the intake. The better ones will increase flow by smoothing out the airflow and getting a slightly colder charge. The MAF read area should be the same size as OEM. I'm not completely sold on the idea that 3-5 degrees colder air makes a difference but I guess it would depend on where you are in the PCM temp table. We will all agree that the closer you are to ambient, the better. The stock box does a pretty good job at keeping the temps down. Seeing that a CAI that doesn't throw a CEL is within the range of adjustablitly for the PCM, there shouldn't be a problem. We aren't fooling the PCM with unmetered air here. All the air is being counted and fueled for. Theres's just physically more of it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote