Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #99
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'd tell him no joyrides.

If he wants to go for a ride with me behind he wheel to prove the car is what I say it is, then we are good. If he is a serious buyer, being in the passenger seat would be good enough.

When I sold my 02SS back in 09, the guy came over to look at the car. I told him to jump in and we'd go for a spin so he could see how it runs. He got in the passenger seat and we were off. I took him for a 15 min ride or so, got on it a bit, and we went back and parked. He said he'd take it.

People usually know what they want when they go looking. Theres no reason to test drive what you already know what you want.

Did I take a test drive of my 5th Gen before buying? Nope....I had the damn thing painted, full exhuast, delivered to a dealer 2,000 miles away, and then I flew out and picked it up. No worries. I had two full days of "test driving" on the way home!

Not necessarily out of the question. But, I'd rather have told him he could jump in and I'd drive him around if he chose. That would be less of a "shock" to him than asking him for proof of ability to purchase.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #100
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Do not let a crack whore test drive your car no matter how serious she is about buying it.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #101
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
When I sell a car, I've always requested at least 25% cash on the spot to hold it if they want to buy it, non refundable. I also will not transer a title until I am paid in full in either cash or I have verified and deposited the cashiers bank check (ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED).

Anyone I've dealt with on that issue has been cooperative.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #102
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Apparently you've set yourself up to have "anyone" contact you inorder they make arrangements to consider a purchase or making an offer. This suggests you're serious and by being serious, you've opened the possibilities.......... that "anyone" might ask to look over, in, and then test drive the car. Having the opportunity to view and then test drive are fairly common assumptions buyers make when purchasing a car.

Setting terms and conditions..........Your asking them to provide financial documentation before you show the car should have also been explained to your dealer. That is unless you felt you would be better quailifed to weed out window shoppers, joy riders, car jackers and credit risks. My guess is there is nothing in it for the dealer and thus they'll not be spending unordinary amounts of time and effort..........helping.

For arguements sake........the potental buyer comes prepared with a bank letter of credit or loan preapproval and asks you to simply provide the title, or documentation proving you were the registered legal owner, or any other form of verifiable proof of your having a clear title free from government tax liens, ie. Do you have a current Insurance survey or CarFax on hand. Would you be prepared to provide these on the spot if one were requested by a potental buyer? My guess is. No............your not.

In today's world of rampant indentity theft I personally wouldn't give a private individual selling a car my highly confidental banking information.........period.

Obviously you've brought this on yourself. If I were the potentional buyer in the scenario as you've described it..........I would have quitely disagreed with your methods and tactic's and simply walked away. Trust is one thing, being respectful or disrepectful is another................. and its takes a mutual understanding and consideration from both parties. Insults and preconditioned notions...............guarantees negative results. The sale is doomed before the possibilty of opportunity for either seller or buyer materializes.

I would also suggest as an alternative asking the dealership if they have arrangements or the names of associate businesses who specialize as professionals in selling cars on a consignment bases............alleviating the stress, hassles, forementioned problems and ultimately .............failure.

+2
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #103
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
That's not unrealistic at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #104
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
The potential buyer said that because he was offended by the request. It's how the deal went sour. I'm not in disagreement with the OP. I'm pointing out that this is why he reacted this way. Others will likely do the same. If the goal is to sell the car, perhaps a different approach is needed. That's my point.

OP, a new strategy may be in order to get what you need from the potential buyer without offending them.
+1 I will feel the same thing if asked for proof.. I will just find another seller. I will never buy a car that I have not test driven.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #105
Quackersacker

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
I had a Lund 1775 Pro V that I was selling sizeable amount. Didnt give any rides that wasnt the issue but told the buyer cash only, no checks not even cashiers checks as they forge them now too. Met him at my bank, insured funds were transfered sign over title and walked out. Guy was a lawyer and now is my best friend. Recently bought a new boat and made him come along so he could see the next one he had to buy from me.

Dont trust anyone. Your selling it and your requirements are your requirements, it just may narrow down the amount of people that you can sell it to.

Just like modding your car its up to you.
Quackersacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #106
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Most banks dont do assurance forms any more, unless he had the cash in the bank, it might of been difficult to get any documentation from the bank.

Short of applying for a loan, and who applies for a loan on every car they look at, Im not sure what documentation he could of gotten that would of been sufficiant, or how you would go about insuring it was a true and valid document, or for that matter, still valid at that time.

As to having cash, unless its less than $100 I never bring it to a first meet with people I dont know. I may go to the bank with them and the vehicle after Ive had it checked out, withdraw it and do the trade there, but never at someones home or in a grocery store parking lot.

Ebay is an excellent resource if you dont want to do the dealer thing. All interactions are documented, the seller and buyer have protection financially, and you get a much wider, and generally better client base looking at your vehicle.

That being said, I dont think it is wrong to state that you will drive him in the car and take it to a mechanic of his choice, on his dime (within a reasonable distance) if he wants to have it checked out.

Thats just my opinion, its your car, you make the rules.......

(Wanted to add, I would want to drive myself, some things you can only "feel" while driving, I would be good driving with the owner in the car, in a controlled area. But with the amount of Camaro's out there for sale, probably would of not looked at yours in this scenario. No hard feelings but thats a bit of extra work I just wouldnt want to bother with.)

Last edited by Rhyder; 04-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #107

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
I looked at a car yesterday. The guy wouldn't let me test drive it. I asked him to send it to a dealership or performance shop to inspect it. He declined as well. He said that there's a mutual level of integrity and faith between both parties.

I just laughed and walked away.

Today, I found out he's been trying to sell the car since Jan!
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #108

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
When I sell a car, I've always requested at least 25% cash on the spot to hold it if they want to buy it, non refundable. I also will not transer a title until I am paid in full in either cash or I have verified and deposited the cashiers bank check (ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED).

Anyone I've dealt with on that issue has been cooperative.

25% cash? I would never bring that kind of money and meet a complete stranger.

Good for you that there are so many stupid people out there.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #109
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
25% cash? I would never bring that kind of money and meet a complete stranger.

Good for you that there are so many stupid people out there.

That's because typically if someone is serious about buying a car they have the money and are not afraid of or unwilling to abide by those terms.

Only someone who's jerking you around or not really interested in buying your car, or can't afford it, would not work around those rules.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #110
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
I've bought many used cars in my time and not once have I been asked to jump through any of the hoops described in this thread...nor would I. In short, my answer to the OP is "yes".

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #111
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I have always gone along on their test drives. You really need to size people up also when they come to LOOK at the car. It's harder with a performance car as some people WILL take the opportunity to joy ride with no intention to buy. It's best to get it out in front that anyone coming to look at the car will need cash in hand or a deposit of a sizable amount if they intend to go on a test drive.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #112
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Ok, had to chime in here.

1) The bank is NOT going to issue a credit letter to someone so that part of the request IS unreasonable.
2) A lot of people here are making the #1 mistake in sales; judging by the way the customer looks.

I once worked at a dealership, in sales, where an old man that looked like he lived on the streets 'walked' onto the lot and started looking at new trucks. The entire sales team looked on at him from the showroom, drinking their coffee, discussing how they were not using up their 'turn'on someone who was just wasting their time. One of the younger sales associates went to help the guy. Turns out he was carrying thousands of dollars cash money. He had left two other dealerships because no one came out to talk to him. He paid CASH full ticket for a brand new truck.

Now, it is NOT unreasonable to to question his motives and let him know that you will take a testr drive with him. It is not unreasonable to tell him where and how the test drive will occur. It is also no unreasonable for you to do whatever you want, but dontr expect to sell the car. I would NEVER buy any car without driving it first. That is why I do not own a Corvette.

One more short story, somewhat related but you have to read into it. I recently had a home remodel done. The GC asked, in his contract for financial proof that we could afford the work. This was his standard contract but he almost lost the work, and it was a big job, because of this. It was offensive to me and my wife to be questioned on if we could afford what we were purchasing. Not only did we have the cash for the job, but we also had access to additional funds from other sources. This portion of the contract was removed and he was paid, on time, for all of his work.

So, to sum up, asking someone to 'prove' to you that they can afford something IS offensive. In fact, it is one of the most offensive things a person can do. Assuming the worst in people is not a quality that one should strive for.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote