Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #29
mbauer14085RS/SS2010

Drives: 99 blazer/2010 2ss/rs iom now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
windows media player 10 or 11 will have a rip tab at the top, you can use that to rip songs from the cd into a file that can be put onto a flash drive.
so when i rip them to the flash drive thats all i need to do to get them to play?
3800 Order produced (6/16/09)2G1FK1EJ3A9117972
4000 Available to ship (6/16/09)
4200 Shipped (6/19/09)
4300 Intermediate Delivery(6/20/09)
5000 Delivered to the dealer(6/22/09)
6000 Delivered to the customer (6/27/09)
mbauer14085RS/SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #30
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
The manual says that the first 10,000 songs are recognized, but with my thumb drive, it doesn't index all the songs. I have several full albums on there but it only recognizes about half of them. It shows the folders but not the songs. Anyone seeing anything similar?
So I just clarified the amount of songs that the unit can index, and it's 2,500, not 10,000 like the manual indicates. I'm really sorry for any confusion that this has caused. I know this is a real bummer for those of you who wanted to hook up a huge flash drive and be able to play all your music from that. The only real workaround that I've been able to figure out is to use an iPod. Since that indexes the songs itself, we are able to see its entire collection, no matter how many songs are on it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I wanted to be open with you guys.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #31
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy View Post
Whenever I plug my ipod or thumb drive in the usb nothing happens. My thumb drive lights up for a second and then goes out. The ipod does nothing but light up when I turn the radio off. I can't get any type of menu to come up. The radio portion works fine.
Reply back with what iPod you're trying to use and what types of files you have on your thumb drive. It could be that your iPod is not one of the supported ones and your thumb drive doesn't have the right type of music on it. You'll need MP3 or WMA files on your thumb drive to play, and you need a relatively new iPod (within the last 2-3 years or so) to be recognized. If you do have both of these, let me know and I'll give you a few other things to try.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #32
raptor_demon

Drives: 2009 Jetta SE
Ok So there is a limit of 2500 songs that can be indexed from the USB flash drive and to get around this you need a PlaysForSure Device that will index the songs first. Is there a list of such devices and can you have an unlimited amout of songs (limited by the storage of the player)

I have about 55gb of music and was hoping to just put in a hard drive in and leave it at that.

Raptor
raptor_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
Ok So there is a limit of 2500 songs that can be indexed from the USB flash drive and to get around this you need a PlaysForSure Device that will index the songs first. Is there a list of such devices and can you have an unlimited amout of songs (limited by the storage of the player)

I have about 55gb of music and was hoping to just put in a hard drive in and leave it at that.

Raptor
No, a PlaysForSure device will have the same limitations as a USB drive. When those connect up, they act almost identially to a flash drive where the vehicle has to index the whole thing. Actual iPods are the only ones that do the indexing themselves, so for you you'd have to grab a 5th Gen or newer iPod classic to fit your 55 gig of music.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
raptor_demon

Drives: 2009 Jetta SE
Ok,

Thanks for clarifying this, i must admit it is a bit of a dissapointment but I'm sure i can find an ipod cheap enought.

thanks

Raptor
raptor_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
So I just clarified the amount of songs that the unit can index, and it's 2,500, not 10,000 like the manual indicates. I'm really sorry for any confusion that this has caused. I know this is a real bummer for those of you who wanted to hook up a huge flash drive and be able to play all your music from that. The only real workaround that I've been able to figure out is to use an iPod. Since that indexes the songs itself, we are able to see its entire collection, no matter how many songs are on it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I wanted to be open with you guys.

ARG. That reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy sucks. Any chance of an update...soon.... to fix this? I've got a Zune and just bought a 32gb drive just for this. So basically my only option is to buy an iPod (not gonna happen) or use the aux port with my Zune...

Last edited by UCF w00t; 06-11-2009 at 02:53 PM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #36
CAMARO_MOW

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
LOVE MY IPOD... Gonna be sweet to not have to index through all me gigs of music.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #37
siggy
Siggy

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Reply back with what iPod you're trying to use and what types of files you have on your thumb drive. It could be that your iPod is not one of the supported ones and your thumb drive doesn't have the right type of music on it. You'll need MP3 or WMA files on your thumb drive to play, and you need a relatively new iPod (within the last 2-3 years or so) to be recognized. If you do have both of these, let me know and I'll give you a few other things to try.
I tried two different ipods a touch and a nano both are the latest models less than 1 year old. I pushed the aux button about 100 times.
siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #38
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post

ARG. That reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy sucks. Any chance of an update...soon.... to fix this? I've got a Zune and just bought a 32gb drive just for this. So basically my only option is to buy an iPod (not gonna happen) or use the aux port with my Zune...
Yeah I know it sucks. I'm really sorry guys. And unfortunately, a software update can't fix it. It's a physical memory limitation in the PDIM that it can't store the index for more than those 2,500 songs. We're working on getting more memory in the PDIM, but that involves getting a new module. It would be compatable with the head unit, but you'd have to replace the PDIM module, not just a software update.

Another option is to get a Bluetooth device to stream you music from.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #39
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy View Post
I tried two different ipods a touch and a nano both are the latest models less than 1 year old. I pushed the aux button about 100 times.
When you press the aux button to get to the aux jack input, press the menu button and see if the Bluetooth setup menu comes up. If so, then your PDIM module functioning but just isn't seeing a USB connection for some reason.

One other question...was this all in one ignition cycle, or was this separate occasions? The PDIM may have locked up for some reason and just needed a restart.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #40
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
Ok,

Thanks for clarifying this, i must admit it is a bit of a dissapointment but I'm sure i can find an ipod cheap enought.

thanks

Raptor
The good thing is you could even get a used one with a dinged up screen or something like that because it'll just be sitting in your center console. As long as it has a functioning hard drive, that's all you'd need.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yeah I know it sucks. I'm really sorry guys. And unfortunately, a software update can't fix it. It's a physical memory limitation in the PDIM that it can't store the index for more than those 2,500 songs. We're working on getting more memory in the PDIM, but that involves getting a new module. It would be compatable with the head unit, but you'd have to replace the PDIM module, not just a software update.

Another option is to get a Bluetooth device to stream you music from.
I'm sure it has some sort of solid state storage... or what about storing a full index on the USB drive and loading chunks of it into memory or something. I know it would be complicated but there's gotta be a way around it. Or how about indexing less fields if there's over 2500 songs. (just tossing some ideas out there).

How does it handle the > 2500 case? It just pretends that the files aren't there?

What about putting all your songs into a playlist on the root of the drive. Will it be able to reference the songs from that playlist? So if I have a playlist with 5000 songs in it. It gets to one in the playlist that isn't in the PDIM's index... will it skip over the song or...?

And what format playlists can it handle? M3U? PLS?

Last edited by UCF w00t; 06-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #42
siggy
Siggy

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
Angry

Quote:
When you press the aux button to get to the aux jack input, press the menu button and see if the Bluetooth setup menu comes up. If so, then your PDIM module functioning but just isn't seeing a USB connection for some reason.

One other question...was this all in one ignition cycle, or was this separate occasions? The PDIM may have locked up for some reason and just needed a restart.
The Bluetooth setup menu does come up. I have tried it in different ignition cycles with the same result. I guess I am screwed. Should I take it to the dealer or do you have any other suggestions?
siggy is offline   Reply With Quote