Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
The GXP is rated at 415hp whereas our camaro is rated at 426. Probably all in the tuning...but still..that gives a good reason why it probably will put atleast alittle more to the wheels with the same tranny and IRS. Also if the GXP is lighter than the official spec than who's to say the camaro wont be lighter than the official spec?
... I would expect it will dyno slightly higher ..

Crowley
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Has anyone dynoed an automatic GXP yet? I'm curious to see the difference in SAE rated HP and actual RWPH to get some idea of the divetrain loss in the auto. It looks like the new M6 is more effiecient than the old T-56, I wonder if the auto is too?
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Glad im not the only one that goes there to find out info. I was over there looking at the CAI that will be coming from Vararam for the G8 GT. Hoping there is one for the Camaro soon after release.
LOL I figured that place had to be one of the best to go to for any sort of rough comparison to what we could expect. There's a wealth of information there I haven't even been able to get into yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Has anyone dynoed an automatic GXP yet? I'm curious to see the difference in SAE rated HP and actual RWPH to get some idea of the divetrain loss in the auto. It looks like the new M6 is more effiecient than the old T-56, I wonder if the auto is too?
I know that unlike the 4L60E there isn't a 1:1 gear in the 6L, so it'll probably show a little lower power because it's my understanding anytime you have gear reduction (like in a ring and pinion too) that you loose a little power. How much in this case, I couldn't tell you, but it'll probably read a little less than a 1:1 gear would.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
RS/SSYellowJacket
Old School

Drives: Ordered Yellow/Black RS/SS2 M6
I'll put htis out there for you guys to mull over. just some facts.

My LS2 2006 GTO

Weighed in at 4150 with 1/2 tank and me in it. Taking out My weight of 175 at the time and the weight of gas at 7lbs per gallon for 7 gal. = 49lbs The car weighs about 3926 give or take a few lbs. 3900lb car she Dynoed bone stok on a Mustang dyno set to SAE measurement 346 hp 334 tq avg 3 pulls. Same day we took her 12 miles to another friends shop with a Dynamics Dyno it showed only 316 hp and 308 tq.

We did a tune on it and gained 18 hp and 14 tq with HP Tuners. We then decided to change the factory plugs to NGK 5.5s and believe it or not the heat range being cooler mad another 12 hp and 8 tq. For a total of 346 hp and 330 tq.

Both hP and TQ curves where smoothed out from stock and they actually increased from peak at 6200 HP to 6550 HP and 3800 to 4200 TQ.

THe car ran an avg of 8.9s in the 1/8 at 83 MPH before any tuning stock. After tuning I avged. 8.7s @ 86 mph This was incredile how much a good tune and a change to a cooler plug helps out.

I later did a cam change, CAI, LTs with 3" duals 3" X pipe and 3 in out Dynomax Magnums, 3.90 gears. The car made as a base with add ons 374 hp @6500 & 369 TQ @ 4100. So the tune worked to some extent with the addons. But it was showing very lean at 15 to 1 most of the pulls.

So richening her up and tuning the timing a little more netted us 426HP @6700 @ 413 TQ @ 4350 car ran a 8.02@88. This is all on factory stock radials with M6 tranny.

Point being All these cars are heavy and close to same weight. A difference in power stock means nothing because you can change them. Any two dynos wont read the same and a Dyno is only good to measure the change based on modifications made to the car on a given day.

Weather and altitude will drastically change how a car works in different locations. So comparing a dyno to a like or even the same car from Denver to Houston is useless.

Just some insight and facts I have from one of my LS based cars. It is not perfect and I did round the numbers to the closest number for the examples. I will be doing simular tests to my Camaro when I get it and posting those results as well.

Thanks
E
RS/SSYellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS/SSYellowJacket View Post

My LS2 2006 GTO

Weighed in at 4150 with 1/2 tank and me in it. Taking out My weight of 175 at the time and the weight of gas at 7lbs per gallon for 7 gal. = 49lbs The car weighs about 3926 give or take a few lbs. 3900lb car she Dynoed bone stok on a Mustang dyno set to SAE measurement 346 hp 334 tq avg 3 pulls. Same day we took her 12 miles to another friends shop with a Dynamics Dyno it showed only 316 hp and 308 tq.

We did a tune on it and gained 18 hp and 14 tq with HP Tuners. We then decided to change the factory plugs to NGK 5.5s and believe it or not the heat range being cooler mad another 12 hp and 8 tq. For a total of 346 hp and 330 tq.

Both hP and TQ curves where smoothed out from stock and they actually increased from peak at 6200 HP to 6550 HP and 3800 to 4200 TQ.

THe car ran an avg of 8.9s in the 1/8 at 83 MPH before any tuning stock. After tuning I avged. 8.7s @ 86 mph This was incredile how much a good tune and a change to a cooler plug helps out.

I later did a cam change, CAI, LTs with 3" duals 3" X pipe and 3 in out Dynomax Magnums, 3.90 gears. The car made as a base with add ons 374 hp @6500 & 369 TQ @ 4100. So the tune worked to some extent with the addons. But it was showing very lean at 15 to 1 most of the pulls.

So richening her up and tuning the timing a little more netted us 426HP @6700 @ 413 TQ @ 4350 car ran a 8.02@88. This is all on factory stock radials with M6 tranny.

Point being All these cars are heavy and close to same weight. A difference in power stock means nothing because you can change them. Any two dynos wont read the same and a Dyno is only good to measure the change based on modifications made to the car on a given day.

Weather and altitude will drastically change how a car works in different locations. So comparing a dyno to a like or even the same car from Denver to Houston is useless.

Just some insight and facts I have from one of my LS based cars. It is not perfect and I did round the numbers to the closest number for the examples. I will be doing simular tests to my Camaro when I get it and posting those results as well.

Thanks
E
Excellent points to remember.

I too had similar experiences, in a way. When I had my car tuned, the final numbers were 366/371 RWHP/RWTQ to the tire. On the same dyno', about six months later, I was averaging about ten horse' lower, under similar conditions. It just goes to show the dyno' doesn't tell everything and there are so many variables that can effect performance.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Man that G8 is a beautiful car..... I wish I could afford both :(
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS/SSYellowJacket View Post

My LS2 2006 GTO

Thanks
E
I agree.

There are so many forgotten variables such as tire width, wheel/tire weight, rotor weight, tire pressure, stickiness/resistance of the tire, how tight the straps were torqued down, engine temp, coolant temp, dyno fan location, ventilation of the facility, tire growth, driveshaft diameter, driveshaft weight, driveshaft length, axle size/length, rear end ratio, tranny oil, gear oil, engine oil, etc. etc.

the list goes on and on.

the same goes for comparing track times. No two tracks are comparable. Actually, in a lot of cases, not even the same track is comparable to itself.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Hey, decided to check out the G8 boards. Was interesting to see the GXP rated at 415hp put down 370hp to the wheels..sounds pretty good. Also the weight is supposed to be 4000+...came in at 3992 with 85lbs of gas in it. So looks like the GXP's might be closer to 3900lbs dry. They might be a better comparison to the camaro than previously thought.

Dyno pics
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...228#post164228

Weight pics
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10703
When I checked, the G8 GXP is supposed to weigh 4050, but that didn't include driver and I don't know if it was auto or manual.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #23
briwalbri

Drives: 2008 Roush 427R
Send a message via Yahoo to briwalbri
G8 GXP

I just went to the Ponitac website to see the engine on the G8 GXP and it doesnt matter if you choose automatic or manual you get the same engine.
6.2L SFI.
briwalbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
popsnicker

Drives: 2008 G35X
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwalbri View Post
I just went to the Ponitac website to see the engine on the G8 GXP and it doesnt matter if you choose automatic or manual you get the same engine.
6.2L SFI.
Yep, but you were getting hit with gas guzzler tax either way which is probably why they didn't go with an AFM L99 like the Camaro.
popsnicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
briwalbri

Drives: 2008 Roush 427R
Send a message via Yahoo to briwalbri
gas guzzler tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsnicker View Post
Yep, but you were getting hit with gas guzzler tax either way which is probably why they didn't go with an AFM L99 like the Camaro.
So will the LS3 Camaro have a gas guzzler tax?
briwalbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #26
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwalbri View Post
So will the LS3 Camaro have a gas guzzler tax?
nope, I think it's just under the limit that would make it get tagged w/ gas guzzler tax (prob due to the skip-shift feature that helps the mpg rating)

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b08016.pdf
nice list of 2009 cars that are getting hit with the tax
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned

Last edited by JMAN311; 02-20-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added epa link
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote