Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
rwmiller56

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White
Paint Chipped on Rear Fascia

Well, I've only had the car for 2 months, and already some of the paint has chipped.

Sorry, I don't have a picture to post, because I already did the touch-up paint job.

The chips are on the top of the rear fascia, directly under the trunk lip. There were 2 of them on the fascia, one each directly below each end of the trunk lip. I checked, and the trunk lip is not rubbing the fascia, nor do I remember rubbing against or hitting those areas in any way. I can only surmise that the paint actually chipped on its own, due to poor paint quality.

I'm really disappointed about this. When you spend $30K for a car, you don't expect the paint to start chipping off! The touch-up looks OK, and the chips were not really in a high visibility area, anyway, but I still feel that the car is no longer perfect.

The dealer offered me a paint warranty for $700 when I purchased the car, but I turned it down. Now, I wish that I had bought it. So I assume that the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty won't cover this?

I've seen alot of negative posts about the poor quality of the paint on these cars. Is it that bad that the shock of opening and closing the trunk too often would cause the paint to chip? That's ridiculous!

I sure hope that no more paint chips appear on their own. Otherwise I'll consider getting a whole new paint job from a good shop.

Roger
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Jonathan Patten
Caffeinated Gearhead

Drives: 2011 SGM V6/RS
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Patten Send a message via Skype™ to Jonathan Patten
I've had the same issue. Perhaps should I get some touch-up paint from the dealer or allow the dealer to do touch-ups? I have one on the right-front of my wheel and one on the bumper.

Jonathan Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
rwmiller56

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Patten View Post
I've had the same issue. Perhaps should I get some touch-up paint from the dealer or allow the dealer to do touch-ups? I have one on the right-front of my wheel and one on the bumper.

It depends on how comfortable you are with doing the touch-up, and how big the chips are. If your dealer has a body shop associated with it, just buy the touch-up paint at the dealer parts dept, and then go talk to the body shop.

But it sounds like yours may have been due to rocks or pebbles kicked up on the road. On mine, there is no way that could have happened to the rear fascia, so it has to be poor paint.
Even with rocks, though, it looks like the paint is not as durable as other cars I've owned.