Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #113
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
dam i hate the color red but i must admit this car looks sick...i cant wait for my girl to get home so i can show her! her favorite color is red...also i like the sunroof on that car, and it was my reason of adding it on...because i want stripes and the black in the sunroof on the roof looks good with the stripes on the hood and trunk...i mean i wouldnt put stripes on the roof either way but it kinda looks like your missing something without them...but with the sunroof it adds some color up there and also gives a valid reason as to not have stripes on the roof. i just hope black stripes looks as good or almost as good with ABM as they do on your car...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #114
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
PS...get your windows tinted and it will look even better!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #115
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Well, I'm going to have to get a quote before I get my heart set on it. $2,500 is a LOT for stripes going on just the hood and decklid. $500 for materials and $2,000 for prepping and painting, OUCH!!! I don't have even a remote clue as to how long it would take start to finish, but if it took 10 hours, that works out to $200/hr for labor. We're not talking a custom flame job here.

I was hoping closer to $1,000 for the stripes like the factory, well maybe over the spoiler too. I guess I just don't know crap about painting.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #116
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
$2,500 for stripes is retarded and you know it. Anyone who wants a good idea on what it really costs to paint stripes on a car, just ask someone with a 67-73 Z/28.

Go over to Camaros.net and ask someone in the forums section. Every second guy over there has had rally stripes painted on their car.

Reread HOW it was done.
I have stripes on my 73, but they do not lay flat to the touch. That is where you pay for the qaulity.
The way they did it, is costlier, they could have just sprayed over the top of the clear coat but didn't.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #117
jordan 572

Drives: none
are the stripes into the clear coat or are they painted on top of the hood and trunk
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #118
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBR View Post
Reread HOW it was done.
I have stripes on my 73, but they do not lay flat to the touch. That is where you pay for the qaulity.
The way they did it, is costlier, they could have just sprayed over the top of the clear coat but didn't.
Everyone with a '69 Z/28 gets it done that way. So they clear and cut and polish after - it's still a $1,500 dollar job.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #119
03xtreme

Drives: 09 Malibu LTZ - 05 Nox
Quote:
Reread HOW it was done.
I've personally painted chevelle stripes onto an S-10 with the radar blue metallic and pearl white stripes. 2g's for stripes is obsurd... if the paint is $500.00 Taping off the stripes, if you know what you're doing, takes 2hrs +/- hell the base color is already down... guns these days cover the entire stripe with 1 pass. so it takes an extra hour or so to color sand before you shoot the clear.... what the heck did they do, 2000 grit the entire hood, top of the fenders, facia, trunk and deck lid then reclear it?

Yeah it looks nice, but for 2G it would be nice to know what they did, i mean black isn't nearly as expensive as a radar blue met. or some custom tint coat cherry, etc.

(not hating, I'm saying they did a lot more than lay down some color, color sand, and cleared it, they probably 2000 gritted the entire area, couple coats of clear, buffed, etc)

Last edited by 03xtreme; 04-30-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added the non hate disclaimer
03xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #120
SNOOK

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS
Yes I upgraded to the polished.

Snook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_kid View Post
Can someone tell me if those are the wheels that come with the RS package or did he upgrade?
SNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #121
SNOOK

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
I've personally painted chevelle stripes onto an S-10 with the radar blue metallic and pearl white stripes. 2g's for stripes is obsurd... if the paint is $500.00 Taping off the stripes, if you know what you're doing, takes 2hrs +/- hell the base color is already down... guns these days cover the entire stripe with 1 pass. so it takes an extra hour or so to color sand before you shoot the clear.... what the heck did they do, 2000 grit the entire hood, top of the fenders, facia, trunk and deck lid then reclear it?

Yeah it looks nice, but for 2G it would be nice to know what they did, i mean black isn't nearly as expensive as a radar blue met. or some custom tint coat cherry, etc.

(not hating, I'm saying they did a lot more than lay down some color, color sand, and cleared it, they probably 2000 gritted the entire area, couple coats of clear, buffed, etc)
Well, here is what we did. Took hood and deck lid off car, color sanded both, spent two days taping, untaping, taping,ets. Remember there are no templates available yet. The front was pretty straight forward, however, the rear was a different story. Several adaptations of what we thought we close to factory just didn't seem right. All of this was done at time and materials. I think the factory's are too narrow and we wanted pretty much the same width front to rear. I know I paid too much for factory stripes, but that's not what we got. These are Very well done under clearcoat, color sanded, buffed and very custom. You only get what you pay for. I like the factory stripe, GM did a good job on them. These, I think are much better, and I have the F-bodfather's blessings, as well as others.
Attached Images

SNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #122
03xtreme

Drives: 09 Malibu LTZ - 05 Nox
I'd like to see them in person, lol. Yeah i'm not disputing... I had no templates for my stripes either. We couldn't put real chevelle stripes on an s-10, i'll have to upload some photos.... but we took the concept and made it proportional to the vehicle, it was pretty quick really. I think its easier when you're on primer and not on a brand new 36,000 car too... lol. Looks great. Thats how they should be done at the factory in my opinion.
03xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #123
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Reread HOW it was done.
Correct. But I guess Hylton knows more than me and my 24+ years of autobody experience.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #124
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
Correct. But I guess Hylton knows more than me and my 24+ years of autobody experience.
I didn't say you didn't know how to do the work. Just said you charge too much.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #125
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I didn't say you didn't know how to do the work. Just said you charge too much.
If I charge "too much" that is your opinion. If I "charge too much", I guess I would lose customers eventually and be out of business. Considering these facts, I am still here since 1984. Hmmmmmm.......I guess the charge is like this old saying: The quality of work done for nothing is usually equal to the fee." If you really feel it's too expensive, I would suggest you don't have it done. Especially to a brand-new 35K automobile. Of course, you could always get out your masking tape and Krylon rattle-can and do it yourself....what do I care?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #126
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
If I charge "too much" that is your opinion. If I "charge too much", I guess I would lose customers eventually and be out of business. Considering these facts, I am still here since 1984. Hmmmmmm.......I guess the charge is like this old saying: The quality of work done for nothing is usually equal to the fee." If you really feel it's too expensive, I would suggest you don't have it done. Especially to a brand-new 35K automobile. Of course, you could always get out your masking tape and Krylon rattle-can and do it yourself....what do I care?
Okay then......