Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
yeah we had a solar irradiance test done, and south and southeast roof is the best for us, probably the bulk will be on the south side, which is the curb facing side... but I have a long low slop roof covering a decent sized porch, so you can't really see the angled area from street level..
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
yeah we had a solar irradiance test done, and south and southeast roof is the best for us, probably the bulk will be on the south side, which is the curb facing side... but I have a long low slop roof covering a decent sized porch, so you can't really see the angled area from street level..
I got lucky and mine go down the back side of my garage (blocked from street view) and on the 2nd story roof over the master. The only way anyone is going to see those is to fly over the house. We have a couple of houses in the area that had to put them on the street side and they don't draw your attention.

Every time I see someone else's panels I just think about all the money I'm not giving to the electric company.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I got lucky and mine go down the back side of my garage (blocked from street view) and on the 2nd story roof over the master. The only way anyone is going to see those is to fly over the house. We have a couple of houses in the area that had to put them on the street side and they don't draw your attention.

Every time I see someone else's panels I just think about all the money I'm not giving to the electric company.

now if we can figure out a similar process so we can generate our own fuel to feed our beasts and not pay the oil companies.. .
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
now if we can figure out a similar process so we can generate our own fuel to feed our beasts and not pay the oil companies.. .
When you do, sign me up! Between gas and electric we are screwed in SoCal. I am beginning to think the weather isn't worth it anymore.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Quackersacker

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I think I was told the south facing parts of the roof net the most production from the systems for where I'm located. You aren't very far south of me so I'm assuming it will be the same for you.

The system I went with uses inverters on each panel, rather than using a large one mounted on the side of the house. If it wasn't for the long warranty, I wouldn't have gone that route, but with the monitor being able to see each panel's output and the company is "Guaranteeing" output, I didn't feel like I had anything to loose.
Inverters on each panel are call enphase. only one company making those yet. Get ac from panel on and if one panel becomes damage only lose production from the one. Only one manufacturer means high initial cost thoygh but in the right installation may still make great sense.

Oh yeah and sign me up for that gas thing
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

well here is an update.

We installed a 20 panel system, that generates 4.0 kWH per hour at peak.. it's been working for just over a month, we average 18.0 kWH per day generation, lowest was 10.6 on an overcast day highest was 19.7.

Switched over to time of use and net metering, meaning the meter runs both directions, it runs forward for consumption, and backwards for generation. Southern Cal Edison pays us $0.25 kWH during peak, and charges us $0.19 kWH off-peak (but $0.25 during peak if you use more than we generate).

Since March when we moved in our electric bill has been between $300 and $480 / month.. Our baseline is only 10.2 kWH per day which breaks out to 0.42 kWH per hour or 4200 watts on standard tiered pricing it is $0.13 for 30% over base, $0.16 for 60% over base, $0.25 for 100% over base and $0.33 for 200% or more over base then you take into account 2 refridgerators @ approx 1200 (1.2kW) watts each, couple of fans @ 400 - 500 watts each to keep the house cool and a 4-ton HVAC @ 6,000 watts (6kW), not to mention radios, lights, wi-fi, clocks, security system/cameras, cable modem, garage door opener, electric ignited gas tankless water heater, hair dryers, blah blah blah.. 10.2 kWH is nothing, barely enough to get an 1800 sq ft. home with 3 people and 2 dogs thru about 1/3 of a day..

Well after 1 month of solar, my electric bill is $2.00 .. yes $2.00

Now we take into account the cost of the Solar, $20,000

subtract the $1,100 power company rebate
subtract the $8,600 federal tax rebate

Leaves me with an out of pocket cost for the solar of $10,300, which was financed on a HELOC loan for 10 years @ 2.99% with a monthly payment of $135

So technically my electric bill is $137 this month..

----

total payback on the system before I break even will be about 5 years considering an average annual electric bill of $3500.. and I plan on having this loan paid off by then.

after that I will be saving $3000+ a year in electrical utility fees.

I am also considering some wind turbines to offset the overcast/cloudy winter days, a nice 1.8kWH system is about $6,000, but I am going to wait a year and see if it is even needed.

My next project for this is some backup batteries so if/when power is out we will still be able to have lights in the house.. Using the solar to charge a couple of Optimas and run some 12 volt LEDs recessed lighting in the hallways and front rooms. Should be able to have light for 7-10 days that way with no power..

We have already have set up LPG backups for our tankless hot wanter heater and BBQ grills, in under 30 minutes I can convert them from CNG to LPG with manual ignition so we will have hot water and be able to cook in the event something happens and the CNG lines are cut off..
Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Sounds good! I was all siged up to go to Votech school back in 1983 for solar and wind power. I was offered a job in Trinidad West Indies when I finished with Plumbing and Heating Votech and never went back to pursue that route. Before working with the railroad I did 20 years of construction of various types. Anything solar peaked my intrest. So many easy ideas out there for solar water heaters that can be made cheap and by yourself. Congrats on moving in the direction we need to follow. Get rid of our dependance on oil and it will only get cheaper for us to drive.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Congrats men, I can only imagine the feeling you get when you see youre $2 electric bill.

Now, how about a Chevy Volt?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Congrats men, I can only imagine the feeling you get when you see youre $2 electric bill.

Now, how about a Chevy Volt?

Wife has a Camry Hybrid.. I have already been informed that her next car will be a Tesla Model S if they ever get them into full production..
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Wife has a Camry Hybrid.. I have already been informed that her next car will be a Tesla Model S if they ever get them into full production..
Wait until the summer and you are producing far new kwh and you will basically pay for the rest of the year plus....

Oh the beauty of solar panels!

Btw my master thesis was based on the adoption rate of photovoltaic panels
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I wonder how all of the numbers would work out with the subsidies? In other words, without the govt taking my money and giving it to you to pay for the panels, would you still do it and what would the payback look like then?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
I wonder how all of the numbers would work out with the subsidies? In other words, without the govt taking my money and giving it to you to pay for the panels, would you still do it and what would the payback look like then?

I had a 20K budget for it, so yes I would have still done it, but the payback would been 10 years @ $270 a month instead of $135 a month..

either way still better off than the $400 or so I have been paying monthly for electric most of this year, plus with the approved 12% hike that goes into affect for us Jan 1, I would be close to $450 a month..

As it stands I will not be affected by the rate hike.

I allocated $20K for this, would have been done with or without the gov't rebates, the rebates will actually just be rolled directly into the principle of my HELOC loan so I can pay it off in 5 years instead of 10.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
If those solar panels can't be affected by an electro-magnetic pulse (the type that will knock out the power grid to an entire country...)...then you should get those panels...
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
If those solar panels can't be affected by an electro-magnetic pulse (the type that will knock out the power grid to an entire country...)...then you should get those panels...

the panels themselves will probably not be affected by EMP, it would be the inverters connected to them that are, seeing as they are electronic circuit board based devices.