Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Camaro v... life?

This isn't a technical thread. I'm a young guy (just graduated and entered the working world). I'm kind of seeking the advice of those older or more experienced than I.

The issue:
Been eying this car since its inception, but I never once imagined it would cost any more than 28k, as that's what the old Z-28's used to cost. (right?) Don't get me wrong, the car is worth every dime! But, I'm a bit hesitant to jump on in on such a commitment as a heavy car payment for such an extravagant car. In my head buying the v6 is like buying a nice computer and using a dial up modem. I have a very hard time with it.

So here's the deal: I still live at home (remember just out of college w/ no debt), and I can afford SS. How much of a dirtbag am I if I live at home and drive a $31,000 muscle car? Should I be using that money to 'set my life up?'

Any opinions would be valued, there are no wrong answers. Some of you are flat out older than I am and I'm sure many of you look back on past decisions and may have done things differently. Consider me the young boy looking for some manly advice.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Do you plan on moving out any time soon?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Nothing wrong with living at home for a little while until you can get your bearings straight. Right now you have no dependents on you, so go ahead, buy yourself a nice car, and save for a nice apartment. Make the most of it man, not many people are as lucky as you to not graduate wtih debt.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Houses are so ridiculous, you might as well enjoy your youth and get the car and just keep trying to better yourself to make more and more money until you make enough for both. That is what I did.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Getting out of your parents basement is your number one priority. After that, a place of your own and the ability to pay all your bills and the ability to put away at least 10% of your earnings away. After that if you got the money, do it. But those things must happen first.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
im in my second year in college, im getting mine now and plan to pay it off before i graduate. that's the plan at least
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
WhiteCrane

At the moment I don't plan on moving out as I enjoy saving like 75% of my income. But the car would take a chunk out of that eh?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Im in the same situation and I chose the camaro over life lol. 23 years old, I can afford the SS only because I still live at home. The way I think of it is I'm not planning on leaving my house anytime soon but if I decide to then I half to hustle my ass to a better job to make that cash to move out. So think of the camaro as a catalyst to make more money
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
You're only young once. Enjoy it. Get the car and go from there. Keep in mind, you have alot of disposable income. You can save a few months and put down a big downpayment. And you can overpay on your payments as well. If you do those two things, you can always refinance the car if you suddenly need to lower your payments for whatever reason.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
WhiteCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
You're only young once. Enjoy it. Get the car and go from there. Keep in mind, you have alot of disposable income. You can save a few months and put down a big downpayment. And you can overpay on your payments as well. If you do those two things, you can always refinance the car if you suddenly need to lower your payments for whatever reason.
Does refinancing always rip you off? I've heard its a disaster.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Buy the car. If you don't mind telling the girlfriend that you live with your parents.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
WhiteCrane

All replies appreciated. Living with parents seems fairly common in this part of NY at my age. I think I'm gonna go with the car. This is likely the easiest time in my life to afford such a thing so frivolously.

Again, all replies are appreciated.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
There are those in life who are real men, and those who just think they are. Safety and security are your basic heirarchy of needs, but Mom and Dad take care of that for you. If tomorrow they said, "get out." You could always sleep in your car and shower at the gym and do laundry at a laundry mat. If you buy a car you really can't afford while still mooching off them, that doesn't make you a man, it makes you nothing more than a selfish boy who went to college but isn't strong enough to earn it on his own yet. But, the real point I want to make is don't listen to any one on this thread to include myself because in reality, none of us have to live with the consequences of your choices, and honestly none of us really care what happens to you. I hope your decisions in life do get smarter though.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
WhiteCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevine View Post
I hope your decisions in life do get smarter though.
Appreciate your perspective. Never meant to imply owning a camaro makes me or any of you a 100% self sufficient man. Nor was that the goal of the discussion, but you are right, and this is a valid point to be taken seriously.

I hope you don't think I was making my decision of a $30,000+ purchase based on forum posts. I was just trying to get an idea of how it would be looked upon to drive such a car while living at home.

I take it you favor the 'scumbag' answer then. Only a scumbag would buy such a car while still living at home even if it is just because I like saving cash.

Thank you.

Last edited by WhiteCrane; 09-26-2009 at 10:10 PM.