Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
It is Normal... Mine does the same thing, and It's a Bone stock 2SS. I had the same thought. So I put it up on the lift at my house and looked all around for a loose mount or output shaft problem. It's only under load that it does it and I'm almost positive its the clutch pressure plate (at least in mine) if you sit in neutral and push in on the clutch and let it off quick you can hear the pressure plate engage the flywheel in a certain rattling sound. They did something in the vette to clear this problem up I don’t know whether they put heavier spring arms on the clutch plate or what, but then again that car is close to 10K more than a Camaro also so it better sound perfect... If it gets worse check it out with a dealer I guess.
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
No rattle at all in my Hurst. I can feel a slight vibration at higher revs. Not so much on the shift knob, but on the shaft, if I hold it. I could write something here that would be very funny, but the Mods might not like it.

The clicks are very audible when you enter each gear, which I personally like. I love the short throw and the firmness that you get with the Hurst. The gear gates are easy to feel and intuitive. IMHO, it is a thousand times better than the mushy stock shifter. I love everything about it.

Those of you who are having issues, might want to make sure the groove side of shifter is pointing to the passenger side before the upper arm is put on and you may want put Dynamat on non exposed areas. I only put Dynamat around the area where the upper shaft and the shift arm are bolted together below the leather boot.
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878

Last edited by Wild Bill; 11-04-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: erroneous info removed
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
No rattle at all in my Hurst.
Those of you who are having issues, might want to make sure the groove side of shifter is pointing to the passenger side before the upper arm is put on and you may want put Dynamat on non exposed areas. I only put Dynamat around the area where the upper shaft and the shift arm are bolted together below the leather boot.
I am gonna try the dynamat fix. So, wrap dynamat around where the lower and upper shafts are bolted together?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
eclipsen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just installed my Hurst last night. I get major rattle too when under hard accelerations. I even have Dynamat around the connection between the upper and lower shafts. The rattle sounds like it's coming apart. I can't believe this is right. I checked all my connections and they are tight.
I'm fine with the slight gear noise and slight vibrations, but the rattle is very loud and annoying. Makes my Camaro sound like it's a piece of junk. I'll try and post a sound clip of it tomorrow.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 6M, ADM Race scoop, CAI intake, VMAX TB, Kooks LTs, Solo Mach X, MGW Shifter, Dynotech driveshaft, 1LE 3.91 gears with JRE updates, BMR bushings/Toe/Trailing Arms, Pedders ZL1 sways and XA Coilovers, Heritage Grill, Yenko side stripes, SS emblems, Havoc Rear Spoiler.
eclipsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Could it be the Hurst ball? Thats the only thing that "rattles" for me.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsen View Post
I just installed my Hurst last night. I get major rattle too when under hard accelerations. I even have Dynamat around the connection between the upper and lower shafts. The rattle sounds like it's coming apart. I can't believe this is right. I checked all my connections and they are tight.
I'm fine with the slight gear noise and slight vibrations, but the rattle is very loud and annoying. Makes my Camaro sound like it's a piece of junk. I'll try and post a sound clip of it tomorrow.
Bummer. Dynamat didn't fix it. I am glad to hear someone else hears the same "not so slight" rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
Could it be the Hurst ball? Thats the only thing that "rattles" for me.
Could be the ball but I highly doubt it in my case. I could grip the shaft with two fingers and I can feel where the chatter/rattle is coming below the ball.

I guess guys who have this issue just find it acceptable and leave it at that or just haven't really run it hard with the radio off and the windows up. Run it hard in 2nd and 3rd, radio off and windows up, and you just might change your opinion.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I am gonna try the dynamat fix. So, wrap dynamat around where the lower and upper shafts are bolted together?
Yep, I was going to put some dynamat in the bottom boot, but I forgot and I had such a hard time getting the lower boot back on that I was unwilling to remove the boot again. I wrapped the upper arm where it attaches to the shifter. So far, one week and no extraneous noise and I love the freaking thing.

I'm not going back under unless I have to. I did not remove the heat shield and I scratched my left arm up pretty good fighting the lower boot. I lowered the tranny/driveshaft, as instructed, but i still left some blood behind. Very tight in there.

Good Luck!
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
eclipsen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
After installing the Hurst and getting the dreaded "rattle" I went back under the car. I checked everything to make sure it was tight and correct. Added Dynamat around the shifter (on the shaft below the pivot ball) and around the shift rod from the tranny to the shifter. Checked all heat shields for rattles. Made sure everything was good and tight in the car. Went out for another test run. It still rattles! I don't think it is coming from the shifter but rather coming from the tranny. I'm very disappointed.

I can't believe that the factory shifter would be able to silence this rattle. If it does, then it is an amazing piece of engineering. I don't know what I will do. I'll run it for a while to see if I can live with the rattle. If not, the stock shifter will go back in. I may try to mod the factory shifter to shorten the throw.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 6M, ADM Race scoop, CAI intake, VMAX TB, Kooks LTs, Solo Mach X, MGW Shifter, Dynotech driveshaft, 1LE 3.91 gears with JRE updates, BMR bushings/Toe/Trailing Arms, Pedders ZL1 sways and XA Coilovers, Heritage Grill, Yenko side stripes, SS emblems, Havoc Rear Spoiler.
eclipsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
55Designs

Drives: 2010
I agree it makes no sense why the rattles and raspy noise its not like we cut a hole in the tunnel to make it fit. Its a damn shaft and new knob. We didnt have to remove padding or material to install it.

Crazy but I hear all TREMEC boxes sound like this its normal

I am going to drive my friends Z06 this week he has the MGW shifter. Granted two different cars the the gearbox is the same then again its rear mounted though so I am sure its whisper quiet
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
this is my third car with the hurst, all of them sound the same. a little rattle. Deal with it guys, this is a muscle car, not a caddy.

Also ZO6 and camaro... not the same gearbox. same manufacturer, not the same tranny. There are different versions of the TR6060
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
We didnt have to remove padding or material to install it.

Granted two different cars the the gearbox is the same then again its rear mounted though so I am sure its whisper quiet
But you did remove padding... you removed rubber bushings and replaced with hard ones and the C6 I had did rattle too. Its not the tranny rattling, its the shifter and linkage. The sound was deadend by the rubber bushings in stock shifter.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #26
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
After-market shifters do not have the rubber dampers the stock one have. You are just hearing what a trans sounds like, not just a rock crusher makes noise.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #27
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
But you did remove padding... you removed rubber bushings and replaced with hard ones and the C6 I had did rattle too. Its not the tranny rattling, its the shifter and linkage. The sound was deadend by the rubber bushings in stock shifter.
you hit the nail in the head.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #28
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
My MTI shifter is nice and quiet..
So glad Hurst was late getting theirs out, otherwise I would be rattling like you guys. Bummer Hurst says it's normal..
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote